McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I started my career in life as an equipment operator for VDOT in VA. During that time I starting making deer scents and Turkey calls. That lead to me meeting a gentleman and together we started a national level Hunting TV show. That lead to being a dealer for Action Track Chair. My love for McCulloch grew from a place of reconnecting with my roots. It has connected me with so much. Last week it came full circle… gang I have been quiet because I have been busy ... The rumors are true. Good ,bad. or otherwise I now own the entire McCulloch stock that was previously Bob Johnson's. It will take months to organize. 90% NOS....A dream come true... McCrazy ... America!!!View attachment 1016500View attachment 1016501View attachment 1016502View attachment 1016503
Good for you friend!!

Gday guys.
I managed to find another old front tank this weekend, 1-52 this time. Looks like it won't need too much hopefully. I've also been playing with a PM60 I've had for a while now. Put a brake cover on i had spare & a sharp chain on the 16" bar and she ripped through a trailer load of wood today. I would like a bit more oil on the bar though, am I right in thinking these oilers are adjustable?
P.s. Excuse all the crap on my bench at the minute!
Cheers guys

Attachments

• 20220918_093414.jpg
    20220918_093414.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220918_093429.jpg
    20220918_093429.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220914_175343.jpg
    20220914_175343.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220914_175328.jpg
    20220914_175328.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Yes the pm60 oiler is adjustable. The oil pump is in the oil tank. You have to remove the front cover. I drain the oil out the filler hole then mount the entire saw in a vise by the lower handle brace with the front cover aimed upward. Then remove the cover and make your adjustment. Counterclockwise on the 1/4" bolt head that youll be looking at, to give the pump more travel. Dont need to remove the pump. It only goes so far though. Youll hit the case with the little screw head. Just before hitting the case is full adjustment anyway. Likely has a locknut also. Retighten the locknut, Then put the cover back on and fill back up with oil and test it. Careful of the gasket. They tend to not re-seal or tear.

Gday guys.
I managed to find another old front tank this weekend, 1-52 this time. Looks like it won't need too much hopefully. I've also been playing with a PM60 I've had for a while now. Put a brake cover on i had spare & a sharp chain on the 16" bar and she ripped through a trailer load of wood today. I would like a bit more oil on the bar though, am I right in thinking these oilers are adjustable?
P.s. Excuse all the crap on my bench at the minute!
Cheers guys
Nice full wrap on the 1-52!

I was lucky enough, to have a 10-10 Automatic, and a 1-41, follow me home. I paid more than I usually do, but the 10-10 had a McCulloch roller bar and chain in beautiful condition, so I feel good about it. I haven't had a close look at them, but they have been added to the collection.
Does anyone have a D30 that they have restored to working condition? The reason I ask, is that mine is an earlier saw, that did not have a manual oiler. It had a system, where the chain was supposed to be magically oiled from the heavier oil in the crankcase. (That was the theory, but McCulloch soon changed their mind). I read the the recommended mix ratio was 10:1 must have smoked like a Diesel)
Which reminds me: Years ago, a friend of mine pulled, prayed, and cursed, for he says two hours, to get his saw running one day. When he finally got it running, he understood why. When he filled his fuel can, he mistakenly filled it with Diesel. He said the saw ran, but ran like crap. He stated, he wasn't walking back to camp for more fuel because everyone would have known.

I was lucky enough, to have a 10-10 Automatic, and a 1-41, follow me home. I paid more than I usually do, but the 10-10 had a McCulloch roller bar and chain in beautiful condition, so I feel good about it. I haven't had a close look at them, but they have been added to the collection.
Does anyone have a D30 that they have restored to working condition? The reason I ask, is that mine is an earlier saw, that did not have a manual oiler. It had a system, where the chain was supposed to be magically oiled from the heavier oil in the crankcase. (That was the theory, but McCulloch soon changed their mind). I read the the recommended mix ratio was 10:1 must have smoked like a Diesel)
Which reminds me: Years ago, a friend of mine pulled, prayed, and cursed, for he says two hours, to get his saw running one day. When he finally got it running, he understood why. When he filled his fuel can, he mistakenly filled it with Diesel. He said the saw ran, but ran like crap. He stated, he wasn't walking back to camp for more fuel because everyone would have known.
I have an early D30 in my collection that what appears to be 100% original and never used. Has original bar and chain. I fired it up years ago but probably needs carburetor kit.

you can see here what was going on under the original paint after 46 years or so.

You've come way too far with that saw to not also address the top handle!

Stopped chasin' saws when I retired to a fixed income a couple years ago, but there've still been a few additions (and exceptions) nonetheless. This one popped up on FB yesterday near me for $20. Yes, $20. I contacted the guy and explained that the saw was worth a lot more even if it didn't run. He said someone else told him the same thing and offered him $60. He asked how much it was worth to me. Told him I needed it like a hole in the head and just wanted to give him a heads up on his asking price being a little low. Said he appreciated that and, "it's yours for $20 if you want it." Has spark and compression

SP70-a.jpg

SP70-b.jpg

Stopped chasin' saws when I retired to a fixed income a couple years ago, but there've still been a few additions (and exceptions) nonetheless. This one popped up on FB yesterday near me for $20. Yes, $20. I contacted the guy and explained that the saw was worth a lot more even if it didn't run. He said someone else told him the same thing and offered him $60. He asked how much it was worth to me. Told him I needed it like a hole in the head and just wanted to give him a heads up on his asking price being a little low. Said he appreciated that and, "it's yours for $20 if you want it." Has spark and compresssion

Still some good people around:) That's awesome

Stopped chasin' saws when I retired to a fixed income a couple years ago, but there've still been a few additions (and exceptions) nonetheless. This one popped up on FB yesterday near me for $20. Yes, $20. I contacted the guy and explained that the saw was worth a lot more even if it didn't run. He said someone else told him the same thing and offered him $60. He asked how much it was worth to me. Told him I needed it like a hole in the head and just wanted to give him a heads up on his asking price being a little low. Said he appreciated that and, "it's yours for $20 if you want it." Has spark and compresssion

OEM paint looks fantastic on that MAC. great find. I figure I took all the character out of mine when I painted it so I should leave that beat to hell handle on there to represent. :p

Idk why pictures look fuzzy when I send them from my iPhone to my Samsung?

Anyway , my thumb has been working hard with the very conservative oiler on the SP81. I popped off the tank cover again when I got home and adjusted it about 1 and 1/2 turns from the tank floor which seems to help , I also noticed some very small fines come out with the oil, so maybe a few more tanks and my thumb won't be sore!

I have an early D30 in my collection that what appears to be 100% original and never used. Has original bar and chain. I fired it up years ago but probably needs carburetor kit.
I haven't used mine, because I want to figure out how to get enough oil to the bar, and don't have the time right now to do some experimenting. This is my oldest old Mac, and was the first one I collected, so it is special to me.
I don't have any parts, but if it helps, I can take a picture of the carb for you.

Attachments

• Mac_D_30_rh_s.JPG
    Mac_D_30_rh_s.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Mac_D_30_tp_s.JPG
    Mac_D_30_tp_s.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 0

Wow what a good story. Great looking saw.

Latest posts

Back