McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've come way too far with that saw to not also address the top handle!

Stopped chasin' saws when I retired to a fixed income a couple years ago, but there've still been a few additions (and exceptions) nonetheless. This one popped up on FB yesterday near me for $20. Yes, $20. I contacted the guy and explained that the saw was worth a lot more even if it didn't run. He said someone else told him the same thing and offered him $60. He asked how much it was worth to me. Told him I needed it like a hole in the head and just wanted to give him a heads up on his asking price being a little low. Said he appreciated that and, "it's yours for $20 if you want it." Has spark and compresssion

Good for you sir !!

it's alive. yes, it's too rich and yes, the chain is loose. I took a nice short phone video of it running but no way I can figure out how to host it or post it.
View attachment 1018396
I think anything over 30 seconds on ur phone has issues posting , should be able to do less than that without problems just attach from phone file .

the starter cord on this saw seems to be short. when I start it cold, and it fires it rips the handle out of my hand. I have 2 nice little cuts on the back of my hand and bled all over the saw lol. I also don't think the decomp is working. does anyone know how long the starter cord should be?
PXL_20220919_214154673.MP (2).jpg

the starter cord on this saw seems to be short. when I start it cold, and it fires it rips the handle out of my hand. I have 2 nice little cuts on the back of my hand and bled all over the saw lol. I also don't think the decomp is working. does anyone know how long the starter cord should be?
View attachment 1018620
Sounds like your timing is a little bit advanced?

With all things old there's always a little play in the flywheel to crankshaft key.
If a Mac starts biting I reset the flywheel by loosening up the nut and unstick the flywheel. The I rotate the piston up on compression (clockwise ,retards timing) and retorque the flywheel nut.
I'm sure if you loosen it up and rotate the flywheel you'll probably feel a little bump,bump on the key going c-cc back and forth.
I had to do this to my PM60 as it was quite hungry for finger sandwiches!

Depends on which reference you use, but they seem to start at 42" on the 10 series and trim the excess at the handle when finished with the pre-tensioning and however many wraps it takes to fill the pulley. An arm's length sounds pretty close. LOL

The timing thing is an interesting read too if you root through all the ways they've developed and recommended. Getting up on the lobe and tightening to .018 is probably pretty close to the Merc-o-Tronic and timing light method...., give or take. The little tools for adjusting are handy to have.

Quick and dirty feeler gauge method for 10 Series points setting and adjusting...

I saw this timing drill in the service manual. I had a really nice old, chromed metal craftsman timing light I bought in the seventies and haven't used it since the eighties. tore my shop apart looking for it last week and it appears to be gone. no idea where it went. so, I did this without one. maybe I should buy a cheap timing light and follow this drill?

Latest posts

Back