McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far today ive cut up nearly all my firewood. This morning i grabbed my cp55 and it performed rather well. Started fine each time and cut strong. Then.......i grabbed my 6-10!!! Holy crap now i must brag this guy up. Ive never actually cut firewood with it. Ive only trimmed trails and small trees down. Today it was used and my goodness what an angry little saw. I am cutting red oak today. Roughly 14 inches and some larger no more than 18. What an animal. Id put it up against a lot of saws. Heres the stats though...it has a mcculloch 18" bar with .325 pitch chain. The carb has been swapped to a fixed jet carb.....however its a tillotson hs124b. Wow is all i can say. Major difference than the walbro sdc 2 carb. That 124b is used on a 125. Man alive. What a little machine. I had to change some parts on the carb of course to make it work but daggone. I have a new friend. I have some more experimenting to do now...

Whats left to cut up is 20inch or better. Im thinking of big saw to finish the day....106cc or 123cc..hmmm. talk about overkill but so much fun

So far today ive cut up nearly all my firewood. This morning i grabbed my cp55 and it performed rather well. Started fine each time and cut strong. Then.......i grabbed my 6-10!!! Holy crap now i must brag this guy up. Ive never actually cut firewood with it. Ive only trimmed trails and small trees down. Today it was used and my goodness what an angry little saw. I am cutting red oak today. Roughly 14 inches and some larger no more than 18. What an animal. Id put it up against a lot of saws. Heres the stats though...it has a mcculloch 18" bar with .325 pitch chain. The carb has been swapped to a fixed jet carb.....however its a tillotson hs124b. Wow is all i can say. Major difference than the walbro sdc 2 carb. That 124b is used on a 125. Man alive. What a little machine. I had to change some parts on the carb of course to make it work but daggone. I have a new friend. I have some more experimenting to do now...

Whats left to cut up is 20inch or better. Im thinking of big saw to finish the day....106cc or 123cc..hmmm. talk about overkill but so much fun
Glad you like the 6-10

Go big or go home lol 😆

I went big. 123cc. A snack for such an engine. Had a 24 inch bar on. It buried in 2 cuts only. Close many times. That was fun. I believe though i have enough for the winter with leftover from last year. Now i got to go split it all. Then stack it up. What a fun day. Clear winner was the 6-10. Im still surprised by that thing.

this is the dog that came on my new 10-10S. obviously homemade and yeah, no. got me thinking though about making my own. not ready to make one for the 10-10S though as its all apart until my parts get here. but, my SP70 does not have a dog. so, I looked at a few pictures of various dogs and mocked one up in cardboard and then cut it out of a piece of 1/8" steel that was the bracket for an old air hose reel that I scraped years ago. I save everything metal if it looks like it may have a use. this is some hard steel. I've cut a lot of steel on the old Craftsman, but this put up a fight.

haven't cut anything with it yet. hopefully it works. maybe kinda big..
PXL_20221013_194838054 (1).jpgPXL_20221013_184538569.jpgPXL_20221013_194322915.jpgPXL_20221013_211704475.jpg

For the left hand start saws, just slip the outer hook on the starter base and wind it in, takes about 2 minutes and almost no strain on your fingers.

I was giving lessons on a large frame saw (same principle for LH or RH on the large frame saws) at a GTG several years ago. The torch was to heat the end of the spring and reform the hook that broke off. That is my younger brother Ed watching.

P3130641.jpg

For the RH start saws you really must wind up the springs to fit them down in position, that can be a challenge but the bigger challenge is getting the starter pulley back on with the nylon bushings in place and getting the inside loop connected to the pulley.

Mark

I have 10 or 12 photos of various 10 Series spikes, several are obviously "shop made"...

That one is very nice Frank.

Customchainsawparts (eBay) has some reproductions for the PM style saws and some of the same profile that will fit the short clutch covers on the SP and other older 10 Series saws.

I think Vinny made some as well, seems like I have a few on some display saws.

Mark

For the left hand start saws, just slip the outer hook on the starter base and wind it in, takes about 2 minutes and almost no strain on your fingers.

I was giving lessons on a large frame saw (same principle for LH or RH on the large frame saws) at a GTG several years ago. The torch was to heat the end of the spring and reform the hook that broke off. That is my younger brother Ed watching.

View attachment 1023889

For the RH start saws you really must wind up the springs to fit them down in position, that can be a challenge but the bigger challenge is getting the starter pulley back on with the nylon bushings in place and getting the inside loop connected to the pulley.

Mark
damn, I was following the directions in the 10-10 manual. good tip though Mark. Thanks.

this is the dog that came on my new 10-10S. obviously homemade and yeah, no. got me thinking though about making my own. not ready to make one for the 10-10S though as its all apart until my parts get here. but, my SP70 does not have a dog. so, I looked at a few pictures of various dogs and mocked one up in cardboard and then cut it out of a piece of 1/8" steel that was the bracket for an old air hose reel that I scraped years ago. I save everything metal if it looks like it may have a use. this is some hard steel. I've cut a lot of steel on the old Craftsman, but this put up a fight.

haven't cut anything with it yet. hopefully it works. maybe kinda big..
View attachment 1023873View attachment 1023874View attachment 1023876View attachment 1023877
Excellent work sir!!

I did cut out a few. Copied the 700 850 style. I just made it a bit longer for the bolt holes on the short style covers. Jethro made me one also. Its very cool. Its on my sp81 with short clutch cover. Itll stay there. I really like it.

Mine are just mild steel but I'd rather bend that than snap the clutch cover. Never bent 1 yet

Mines on my 81 too. Looks good now it's aged a bit. You'd think it's from 1974 and stick welded :)

I stick weld anything and everything I can :)20220917_135506.jpg

Back