McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems like I spent 2 hours this am putting the recoil spring back in. when I did the last MAC, I got it right away. after the 3rd time this morning, I just couldn't hold the spring anymore to get it wound tight enough. I forget about the joint issues until something like this comes up, then remember I'm old and useless. :crazy: ended up clamping a small pair of needle nose pliers in the wood vice to hold the inner loop. aargh.

He does the spring about seven minutes in.

There was a fairly famous outfit (in Northern California?) called H&S that manufactured aftermarket spikes for many saws in the back end of some saw shop. Many of the big, old trees in the PNW had/have very thick, coarse bark on them and the stock spikes were not adequate in many circumstances. H&S specialized in large spikes to meet those demands. In their print advertising they referred to them as a holding claw.

DSC02950.JPG

They made them for the large frame saws, gear drive saws, and other saw manufacturers as well. The seemed to change the design a lot as they went along so it is somewhat unusual to find two identical spikes.

20210605_182911.jpg

Mark

I got one of my non-Mac saws running again after being down for about 4 yrs.Now I'm back to working on the PM55.I tried getting spark on it today,but no dice on that.I'm having trouble locating a cam wiper at a reasonable price - forget Feebay (ridiculous prices).The part # is 54184.I might have to just chip it.

Ed, I just use a piece of felt boot insoles.

1665762916459.png

Ed, I just use a piece of felt boot insoles.

View attachment 1024027
Thanks Tim! I was using the fuel filter that I sliced into a cam wiper,but those are hard to come by now that Bob is out of the picture.

Speaking of Bob,he called me last week to see how I was doing.It was really good to hear from him.

I got some time in with the PM55 today after my dr.visit.I don't think I've ever had such a hard time trying to get spark on a 10 series saw.I had a 10-10A that I checked spark on the other day & pulled that coil off.It had nice blue spark.I put a different coil on the 10-10A that was testing dead on my multi-meter & it had good spark & the saw ran on a prime.Fast fwd.to the 55 today.I put that 10-10A coil on the 55 along with 3 different condensers & a chip & had no spark.I'd cleaned & gapped the points yesterday,so I knew they were good to go.I ended up putting a brand new coil on that I bought from Bob J.last yr.The chip was still connected & it had no spark.Just for the helluvit I disconnected the chip & plugged the points wire back onto the coil & I had good blue spark.Now,what are the chances of having a coil go bad by removing it from a saw & also having a bad brand new chip at the same time?

There was a fairly famous outfit (in Northern California?) called H&S that manufactured aftermarket spikes for many saws in the back end of some saw shop. Many of the big, old trees in the PNW had/have very thick, coarse bark on them and the stock spikes were not adequate in many circumstances. H&S specialized in large spikes to meet those demands. In their print advertising they referred to them as a holding claw.

View attachment 1023982

They made them for the large frame saws, gear drive saws, and other saw manufacturers as well. The seemed to change the design a lot as they went along so it is somewhat unusual to find two identical spikes.

View attachment 1023984

Mark
I think it may have been Oregon, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've got a pair of H&S 125 spikes that are pretty decent and another on my 640, that puppy in an overbuilt brick that's gotta add about another pound to the saw. It looks exactly like the guy on the upper left of your display with the "foot".

I got some time in with the PM55 today after my dr.visit.I don't think I've ever had such a hard time trying to get spark on a 10 series saw.I had a 10-10A that I checked spark on the other day & pulled that coil off.It had nice blue spark.I put a different coil on the 10-10A that was testing dead on my multi-meter & it had good spark & the saw ran on a prime.Fast fwd.to the 55 today.I put that 10-10A coil on the 55 along with 3 different condensers & a chip & had no spark.I'd cleaned & gapped the points yesterday,so I knew they were good to go.I ended up putting a brand new coil on that I bought from Bob J.last yr.The chip was still connected & it had no spark.Just for the helluvit I disconnected the chip & plugged the points wire back onto the coil & I had good blue spark.Now,what are the chances of having a coil go bad by removing it from a saw & also having a bad brand new chip at the same time?
Once in awhile You get a head scratcher. Uncle always tells me "ya never know what you gonna find on these saws" Glad you got it figured out.

I was looking Thursday as we we digging the post holes for the building addition and decided to take out a trash tree that was closer than I wanted to the final building. Well one tree lead to two and two to seven lol. A tank of fuel through the 7-10A frankensaw later and I called it an afternoon. Funny how a strong 70cc mac and a sharp chain will sway ones judgement on what trees will be to close to his building LOL.
7-10A frankensaw clearing for buidling .jpg

I was looking Thursday as we we digging the post holes for the building addition and decided to take out a trash tree that was closer than I wanted to the final building. Well one tree lead to two and two to seven lol. A tank of fuel through the 7-10A frankensaw later and I called it an afternoon. Funny how a strong 70cc mac and a sharp chain will sway ones judgement on what trees will be to close to his building LOL.
View attachment 1024368
Yep. Better get that one it might be too close...aw shucks have to run the 700 some more🤪🤪🤪😀😀😀

Latest posts

Back