McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
workshop talk. not exactly MAC related but kinda since I use it for cleaning them. since I retired 4 years ago, I've been slowly putting together the dream workshop I could never have when I was younger, working and raising a family. one of the things I've been doing is getting rid of all the cheap chinese crap I bought over the years. I do still have a few Taiwanese power tools, but I don't have a problem with that. they're good people and the tool quality from Taiwan is leaps and bounds better than china since the 90's. most of my equipment is older made in USA stuff I've rebuilt.

one tool I've had for 10 or 12 years and hated that whole time is this little 12 x 16" parts washer. the pump always sprayed too hard and splashed all over, so I wasn't too heartbroken when it burned out years ago. I've since used it as a soaking bin and just used a brush to clean the parts.

today I found a nice old parts washer that was made in Wisconsin. it has what I think is the original Little Giant pump and the guy gave me a spare one as well. they both work. I did spend about 2 hours taking it all apart and cleaning everything. it's funny how happy I get over something like this. :p
PXL_20221112_233831037.jpg11-12-22.jpgPXL_20221113_223004602.jpgPXL_20221113_223231474.jpg

I'm supposed to have two "Thrust Washers" #9 and #11, and two seals #10 and #38:
1668302634939.png
1668302690035.png
1668302817020.png

What I actually have is these:
IMG_20221113_141257.jpg
Two plastic? washers (and seeing them on screen, one looks homemade) and a felt (or similar) one.
My question is, which is which? Are the plastic ones seals or thrust washers?

Also... what are "Fil" and "Truss" head screws?

Syncop8r - the outlet check valve is in the body of the automatic oil pump, or in the separate check valve on saws with manual oiler only. Some of the automatic oil pumps have a screw you can remove to access the ball and spring. Others are sealed on top and your only option to a dirty, sticking check valve is to try to shoot some carburetor or brake cleaner through it and hope that solves the issue.

The outlet check valve on manual oiler only saws look like one or the other of these. They attach where the automatic oil pump would be located.

20220329_161950.jpg

On this type of automatic oil pump you can remove the screw and let the ball and spring out to allow more thorough cleaning if needed.

DSCN5932.JPG

Mark

Someone dropped by a few weeks ago on his way home from and auction, he'd picked up a Double Eagle 80 for a reasonable price and offered it to me. I made it worth his while...

I took it down for a good cleaning and inspection.

20221109_081103.jpg

When I bought it I noticed the oil tank and cover were grey rather than black. When I got it apart is was clear that the short block had been replaced with a PM8200. The 8200 are referred to as a 6 bolt crankcase compared to the 8 bolt crankcase used on the rest of the 10 Series saws.

20221109_081449.jpg

20221109_081456.jpg

20221109_081515.jpg

After getting it all cleaned up I did a pressure test to be sure...it was leaking at the crankcase seam and not at the seals so it had to come completely apart. I have a piece of granite with some emery cloth I can use to flatten both surfaces before reassembling the saw.

20221109_091443.jpg

In for a penny, in for a pound so I put in new rings, new PTO side bearing and seal, found the carburetor insulator was cracked on both sides where it bolts down so I replaced that along with the gaskets, fuel filter, air filter, anti-vibe mounts, muffler gasket, clutch bearing and washer, the 84661 grommet on the limiter for the lower mount, oil cap, rebuilt the fuel cap, new clutch, and after unsuccessfully trying to straighten the bent brake handle, a different brake handle. Oh yeah, new bar nuts too since they were somewhat rounded over.

20221112_080634.jpg

All better now.

20221112_080600.jpg

20221112_080617.jpg

And one of my latest sawdust guards.

20221112_080734.jpg

Mark

Someone dropped by a few weeks ago on his way home from and auction, he'd picked up a Double Eagle 80 for a reasonable price and offered it to me. I made it worth his while...

View attachment 1031767

When I bought it I noticed the oil tank and cover were grey rather than black. When I got it apart is was clear that the short block had been replaced with a PM8200. The 8200 are referred to as a 6 bolt crankcase compared to the 8 bolt crankcase used on the rest of the 10 Series saws.

View attachment 1031769

View attachment 1031770

View attachment 1031771

After getting it all cleaned up I did a pressure test to be sure...it was leaking at the crankcase seam and not at the seals so it had to come completely apart. I have a piece of granite with some emery cloth I can use to flatten both surfaces before reassembling the saw.

View attachment 1031772

In for a penny, in for a pound so I put in new rings, new PTO side bearing and seal, found the carburetor insulator was cracked on both sides where it bolts down so I replaced that along with the gaskets, fuel filter, air filter, anti-vibe mounts, muffler gasket, clutch bearing and washer, the 84661 grommet on the limiter for the lower mount, oil cap, rebuilt the fuel cap, new clutch, and after unsuccessfully trying to straighten the bent brake handle, a different brake handle. Oh yeah, new bar nuts too since they were somewhat rounded over.

View attachment 1031773

All better now.

View attachment 1031774

View attachment 1031775

View attachment 1031777

Mark

View attachment 1031767

View attachment 1031769

View attachment 1031770

View attachment 1031771

View attachment 1031772

View attachment 1031773

All better now.

View attachment 1031774

View attachment 1031775

View attachment 1031777

Mark
A weird combination for sure. A frankensaw made from the two rarest of the 82cc 10 series lol.

After putting it off for the last couple days,I finally put fuel in the PM55.It fired on about the 6th puill & it was running a couple more pulls later.I need to fine tune the carb,hunt up a clutch cover,& put a bar & chain on it.I'll get pics on here when it's complete.

The short block was all PM8200 with the three piece crankshaft and 300682 piston. The port for the compression release was not drilled and the cylinder does have the "Q" port. I think a lot of DE80 saws had the DSP port drilled and they carboned up causing damage to the piston. The PM8200 short blocks were used as repairs for those saws. The first DE80 I ever found also had an 8200 short block in it when it arrived.

IMAG1567.jpg

DSC06694.JPG

DSC06710.JPG

I did eventually find a suitable DE80 cylinder and crankcase and that one now resides in the display with all DE80 parts. I'm pretty sure I completed the PM8200 short block with a NOS piston (you could get one from M&D in those days) and sold it to someone.

I'll put this one on the "For Sale" shelf and see if anyone locally wants a bigger saw.

Mark

I'm curious how much stray sealant may have been dripped into the case at the seam. Pretty sure the fate of mine was due to very sloppy sealing of the short block. (Some of you may remember the thread.) Pictures from another PM8200 that looked identical to mine (with identical results) would seem to indicate some very poor quality control of these assemblies toward the end of the glory days.

I have a DE80 that wasn't drilled out for the DSP.The saw was like new when it became airborne & it's life was shortened until I resurrected it last yr.Who knows,maybe it had an 8200 engine?

Right. My 8200 had no dsp either but has the q port exhaust. When i got it the piston was junk and the cylinder had a lot of transfer. I used fine emery paper and lots of oil. It took quite awhile but it all came off. The new piston from bob j and i had a runner. It actually has very very good compression. You really have to mean it when you pull it over.

My DE80 that sits on a shelf has a dsp and truly runs great. I try to run a tank thru it every now and then. It had broken body parts when i got it. Then earlier this year the same thing happened off ebay, a bad looking DE80 for $100.00. The engine was great but it had a bad fall sometime. Wouldnt know it today. It runs great and looks great. Lots of tlc went into that one. Glad i have an anvil. The extra bottom cover though....its pretty warped.

Plastic ones are teflon. Not sealing anything. Felt ones are a dust seal in my opinion. Some of.my saws dont even have them. Others do and both run the same.
the felt ones are the seals.
Thanks guys. 👍

I'll put the one felt washer I have between the teflon ones and just have to live without the felt one behind the points box.

Latest posts

Back