McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I might've figured out what the problem was with the carb that was on the PM 5700.If you'll recall,I had to have the lo needle turned out 2 full turns in order for it to run without bogging when I'd throttle it up.It also ran so rich that it wouldn't idle even with the idle screw turned in all the way.The hi needle would fall out from vibration of the saw running.What would happen if some Bozo switched the needles?Would I be getting those results?BTW,I'm not that Bozo,I didn't pull the needles out of the carb till today.I won't find out if my theory is correct till I put that carb on a build that I'll be working on in the next couple months.
I did wonder that... but are the needles able to thread into the wrong holes?

That was just the caption to go with the pic. The only time my dad worked on a saw was with a BFH when he couldn't get it to run. :crazy2:
Maybe your dad was the inspiration for my son's construction company that he works for.?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0
Well i got a new to me chainsaw running finally today. Its a mac 5-10g! It has a new crankshaft in it due to a busted out keyway. Yesterday i was a little under the weather so i didnt work on it, but today i got it together. Every little nut and bolt back on, gear box, handle bar, carb rebuilt, choke linkage repaired, etc etc. It started up very well and sounded great. Idles like a champ. Oils auto and manually. Bought it off ebay several weeks ago....typical description. Guy started out at 700.00 and was gonna drop the price everyday till it sold. Then he started jacking his price up and down kinda odd like. I shot an offer to him and he countered 15 dollars more so i said yep. Had a busted keyway on the clutch. So a call to iowa later and it has been out back together. It was very grimy under the covers. But i got it scrubbed clean as i could. Its a great engine. Has the 3 fingers transfers, iron liner, full skirt piston. Also has a sdc 3 carburetor. But starts and runs great!20230122_170955.jpg
20230122_170441.jpg20230122_170942.jpg

Well i got a new to me chainsaw running finally today. Its a mac 5-10g! It has a new crankshaft in it due to a busted out keyway. Yesterday i was a little under the weather so i didnt work on it, but today i got it together. Every little nut and bolt back on, gear box, handle bar, carb rebuilt, choke linkage repaired, etc etc. It started up very well and sounded great. Idles like a champ. Oils auto and manually. Bought it off ebay several weeks ago....typical description. Guy started out at 700.00 and was gonna drop the price everyday till it sold. Then he started jacking his price up and down kinda odd like. I shot an offer to him and he countered 15 dollars more so i said yep. Had a busted keyway on the clutch. So a call to iowa later and it has been out back together. It was very grimy under the covers. But i got it scrubbed clean as i could. Its a great engine. Has the 3 fingers transfers, iron liner, full skirt piston. Also has a sdc 3 carburetor. But starts and runs great!View attachment 1050920
View attachment 1050921View attachment 1050922
Sounds good! Is that a planetary gear reduction?

What was the point in the gear drive saws? 🤔
Like putting ya 4x4 in low range. I'd say that little 10 series would pull a pretty long bar for its size and probably pretty aggressive chain too. Not fast but it will and in its day fairly light weight

Like putting ya 4x4 in low range. I'd say that little 10 series would pull a pretty long bar for its size and probably pretty aggressive chain too. Not fast but it will and in its day fairly light weight
Oh so it just changes the ratio or whatever.

So as anyone who is on the groups are aware there have been many rumors floating around as to the future of US Chrome concerning chainsaws. I have been able to get some solid answers from US Chrome.

As of today, here are the facts:

1) US Chrome IS NOT currently doing blind bores in house. (In the past they did do these in house) They do however have a relationship with a very reputable machine shop located close to them that specializes in bind bores.

2) US Chrome IS STILL Plating cylinders after they are machined by the shop mentioned above.

3) US Chrome is in the process of restructuring their dealer process as to streamline and expedite the workload going forward.

4) Going forward we will soon have a listing of dealers associated with chainsaw cylinders.
US Chrome.jpeg

They do however have a relationship with a very reputable machine shop located close to them
Pretty much the same old story except for the above being a newer development.

Mending fences with a former employee or two perhaps? I've heard 'rumors' there, too.

Anyone know if PowerSeal USA in Pa. is doing chainsaw cylinders? Kind of forgot about them as they seem to fly under the radar compared to US Chrome.

Other than the "restructuring" of the company,the biggest issue I'd have is the cost of having a cylinder replated.The last I knew about a yr.ago,Bob J.told me that they'd raised their price from $325 to $350.Then of course you had to have the piston that was to be used in the replated cylinder.
It seems to me that Vinny came up with a very cost effective alternative last yr.For those of you who don't know (or have been living under a rock,Lol),he had a friend who runs a machine shop make a sleeve to fit the 82cc cylinder & it worked out well.The approximate cost of that was $170-$175 IIRC.About half price of the replating process,& no new piston required,unless it was toast to begin with.Just my 2 cents.

Thats correct. I can get you in touch with the guy if its needed done on the 82cc saws. His price is 170 plus your shipping to and from. He does require a piston being used for it but it does not have to be new. Just for final sizing. He wants to do it also for the 70cc engines. I just need to get him a cylinder. And for anyone interested he and i are working on the 123cc engines to sleeve them also. Ive been asked by a few guys but im throwing it out that its a work in progress. We are gonna give it a go for the 123cc engines. Its just that life gets in the way.

Back