McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the "restructuring" of the company,the biggest issue I'd have is the cost of having a cylinder replated.The last I knew about a yr.ago,Bob J.told me that they'd raised their price from $325 to $350.Then of course you had to have the piston that was to be used in the replated cylinder.
It seems to me that Vinny came up with a very cost effective alternative last yr.For those of you who don't know (or have been living under a rock,Lol),he had a friend who runs a machine shop make a sleeve to fit the 82cc cylinder & it worked out well.The approximate cost of that was $170-$175 IIRC.About half price of the replating process,& no new piston required,unless it was toast to begin with.Just my 2 cents.
I had 4 cylinders done December 2021 through Bob J by US chrome. $280 each including the piston. I am going to send a few up once I have a dealer list so I will let everyone know the current cost. I am waiting to see how Vinny's machinist in Ohio's work holds up. Don't read anything into that gentlemen, I have had to send a cylinder back to US chrome last year twice. So not claiming them as Gods in this. They are just an option that is still there for us poor souls who love the 82cc saws.

Thats correct. I can get you in touch with the guy if its needed done on the 82cc saws. His price is 170 plus your shipping to and from. He does require a piston being used for it but it does not have to be new. Just for final sizing. He wants to do it also for the 70cc engines. I just need to get him a cylinder. And for anyone interested he and i are working on the 123cc engines to sleeve them also. Ive been asked by a few guys but im throwing it out that its a work in progress. We are gonna give it a go for the 123cc engines. Its just that life gets in the way.
I got fried 70cc jugs if you need one Vinny.

Other than the "restructuring" of the company,the biggest issue I'd have is the cost of having a cylinder replated.The last I knew about a yr.ago,Bob J.told me that they'd raised their price from $325 to $350.Then of course you had to have the piston that was to be used in the replated cylinder.
It seems to me that Vinny came up with a very cost effective alternative last yr.For those of you who don't know (or have been living under a rock,Lol),he had a friend who runs a machine shop make a sleeve to fit the 82cc cylinder & it worked out well.The approximate cost of that was $170-$175 IIRC.About half price of the replating process,& no new piston required,unless it was toast to begin with.Just my 2 cents.
And the "restructuring" from what I have gleamed is that their long time machinist doing blind bores passed away. And they are having to out source that work, and downsize dealer numbers until a qualified replacement is found. Sad that skill sets are disappearing left and right.

I agree on the machine shop and the redneck engineering which I have done many times!

I am more trying to idiot proof the bars for those ummm how shall I say it... Less mechanically inclined with no skills lol.

You guys on here are like me. We fix stuff, we will figure it out. But I will get hit with the "hey I want a 48" bar for my 10-10" crowd. Need to make sure they get some sort of adapter lol.

Does anyone know if a 7-55 can run without the balance shafts? I picked up one a while ago that is missing one of the shafts. The hole in the case that accepts the balance shaft is actually broken. Not much info on the 2 man saws that I can find.

I agree on the machine shop and the redneck engineering which I have done many times!

I am more trying to idiot proof the bars for those ummm how shall I say it... Less mechanically inclined with no skills lol.

You guys on here are like me. We fix stuff, we will figure it out. But I will get hit with the "hey I want a 48" bar for my 10-10" crowd. Need to make sure they get some sort of adapter lol.
With the comment about the guys who are less mechanically inclined,you must know my older brother.About the only thing he can do with a chainsaw is change the bar & chain.....& break it.Lol

A few days ago my older brother brought his Stihl MS290 over for me to have a look at.I loaned him my PM 10-10 in it's place.He wasn't even home yet when I called him to tell him his saw was running,it just needed a new fuel filter.He just has a "knack" for breaking saws.That night he called me to ask where the adjuster screw is for the chain.I told him where it was & when he brought it back the chain was hanging down about 1 1/2 in.He said the saw had quit running after he'd put about a half tank of fuel through it.For some reason the wire that runs from the chip to the coil likes to come off.I told him,but that'd require taking the recoil off.If I talked him through it he wouldn't be able to do it & he'd end up losing half of the screws anyway.So I got the saw back 2 days later dead as a doornail.He said it was hard to start too.I thought that to be kinda odd,it always started within a couple of pulls.I replaced the chip wire back on the coil & still had no spark.I thought maybe a dead chip?As I looked a bit closer,I found that where the coil wire goes through the recoil (that's the way I run them),it had worn through the insulation on the coil wire & was grounding out.I gave it a couple wraps of electrical tape & it fired up on the first pull.Meanwhile he killed his Stihl saw again.From what I can deduce it's either a bad plug,or the carb needs to be gone through.

20230116_160513.jpg

20230124_150055.jpg

20230116_160543.jpg

20230125_075925.jpg

20230125_172829.jpg

20230125_172820.jpg

I've ended up robbing some parts from the better two saws to try and get this one together for a test.

I'm still looking for a starter base, starter drum, and the points cam among other things.

If anyone out there is willing and able, I would like to get a few of the point cams made, I have some ignition shafts but only one points cam available. I don't have a cam follower to use on my little lathe and don't think I have the patience or skill set to make one. I would be interested in getting as many as 10 or 12 pieces to go with the other parts I have.

Mark

I just cannot help myself. Got to messing with that 5-10g this evening since i got out of work near normal time today. I initially tested the saw with a sdc37a carb. It would not adjust on the low side nor idle on its own. The high side was ok though. So i rebuilt the sdc3 that came with it and put it back on and it fired up and it ran good. But why not keep after the 37a carb? So i took it apart and got the low side welch plug out. It had a lot of debris in it and one of the tiny holes was plugged up. Used a strand of wire and magnifying glass to clear that out. Torch tip cleaner was too big. Put a new plug on it and reassembled. This saw is supposed to have external carb adjustments with the odd springloaded extensions. I just happened to have a pair of them and also an unused sdc2 carb that has the adjustment needles that the extensions fit. So with a little paitience, i assembled that mess all together. Fit like its supposed to be there. Now i just need some daylight to test run it. I am pretty confident that i got that carb figured out. When i run it ill let ya know if i can tell a difference with a bigger carburetor or not. Either way its staying on there as long as it runs good. Putting a carburetor with a gasket, those extensions, and the linkages on a saw all at the same time can be rather tricky.

Back