McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive done the 850/sp81 on a 800 also. It seemed to be snappier. And sounded great. Take into account the muffler also is the shroud for the bottom of the saw and air flow. On my project i made a shroud bottom for air flow. It was easy to do. Also made the saw lighter. The shroud i made was just a thin sheet metal cut to fit.

Max - Most likely an 81 since it has the "C" stamp. Now to find some "C" pistons...

kid - it might run but I think you'd find it to vibrate terribly. All of that counterbalance kit is in there for a reason.
Bob said I have those (C's) lol. He said no A's. He also said no 82cc jugs. So we will see. The man didnt' know everything he had. I may never know everything he had for that matter

I guess I am different on most of my saws. I like to put them back as close to original as I can. The shelf queens are as correct as I can make them. I just like them to be as they were when they came off the assembly line. It may have came from my younger self cutting up some cars that would now be classics to make them quicker or faster. I would rather have those cars back stock than the versions of them I created. When I found Bob J it started a pilgrimage to swap out any part that wasn't period accurate for the model, or was wore past more than about 80% with NOS. I had only hoped I would one day find a great supply of NOS parts when I found Bob. I never imagined I would be lucky enough to own them. Like the SP80/81 cylinder, like the big bars. I look at them and ask myself should I really sell them? I mean there aren't many more of these left. Then I think of Bob J. He said if someone didn't buy it his kids would just throw it away when he was gone. It would have been wasted. I didn't buy it to waste it so I continue to dig through things. The things I find that are cool to me I share for you guys to see. Some of them are things I have never seen before myself as NOS. It's exhilarating, and humbling at the same time. Life is funny. 23 years ago I never thought I would have ever be doing the TV gig. This time last year I never thought I would be fortunate enough to have all Bobs Mac parts.

Come on NOW! YOU KNOW I WORK FOR THE STATE! No union in SC .
Anyway I waited for the yard to dry up for my other responsibilities and modified my muffler. View attachment 846187View attachment 846189View attachment 846190View attachment 846191View attachment 846192
A process of foldind and brazing will hopefully seal.View attachment 846193View attachment 846194
Quite a bit of difference in size now.
It’s literally a giant heat sink for the saw , with terrible flow , and no performance whatsoever.
SG,

Start with the link to MS and scroll down from there.

I went the old school approach on my 800 - hand fab bottom cooling shroud and MAC 80/81/850 exhaust duct with a hand fab bracket to the DSP. My pictures have vanished from my postings when I made it. It works well though I had to make a new shroud after the old one gave up the ghost with stress fractures. Also, my DSP threads wallowed out after several years, maybe due to the vibes from the duct.

Ron

I guess I am different on most of my saws. I like to put them back as close to original as I can. The shelf queens are as correct as I can make them. I just like them to be as they were when they came off the assembly line. It may have came from my younger self cutting up some cars that would now be classics to make them quicker or faster. I would rather have those cars back stock than the versions of them I created. When I found Bob J it started a pilgrimage to swap out any part that wasn't period accurate for the model, or was wore past more than about 80% with NOS. I had only hoped I would one day find a great supply of NOS parts when I found Bob. I never imagined I would be lucky enough to own them. Like the SP80/81 cylinder, like the big bars. I look at them and ask myself should I really sell them? I mean there aren't many more of these left. Then I think of Bob J. He said if someone didn't buy it his kids would just throw it away when he was gone. It would have been wasted. I didn't buy it to waste it so I continue to dig through things. The things I find that are cool to me I share for you guys to see. Some of them are things I have never seen before myself as NOS. It's exhilarating, and humbling at the same time. Life is funny. 23 years ago I never thought I would have ever be doing the TV gig. This time last year I never thought I would be fortunate enough to have all Bobs Mac parts.

I like seeing and handling stock equipment. I try hard with my old equipment to modify in a way that it can later be restored to original. It takes some effort & money, and it doesn't always work out that way. But generally speaking, I put my stuff to work so functionality takes priority over originality.

Ron

SG,

Start with the link to MS and scroll down from there.

I went the old school approach on my 800 - hand fab bottom cooling shroud and MAC 80/81/850 exhaust duct with a hand fab bracket to the DSP. My pictures have vanished from my postings when I made it. It works well though I had to make a new shroud after the old one gave up the ghost with stress fractures. Also, my DSP threads wallowed out after several years, maybe due to the vibes from the duct.

Ron
Thanks Ron I was hunting for those pictures!

Found an old post about mcculloch carbs and sizes and models etc, found these in my master tillotson book. Pretty sure these model Tilly’s were used on some late 895 and 940, don’t quote me in it, just thought I would throw it out there.

Attachments

• EFE3788D-A258-45C6-8DE9-A675C3164155.jpeg
    EFE3788D-A258-45C6-8DE9-A675C3164155.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 18A7E63D-86A6-4C4A-80C5-73DAE4E912C8.jpeg
    18A7E63D-86A6-4C4A-80C5-73DAE4E912C8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Nobody watching this thread knows anything about McCulloch 7-55 chainsaws?
Your question was answered by Mark in the thread post that appears at the top of the current page.
Max - Most likely an 81 since it has the "C" stamp. Now to find some "C" pistons...

kid - it might run but I think you'd find it to vibrate terribly. All of that counterbalance kit is in there for a reason.

The McCulloch carburetor guide (1970) shows an HL272 used on some Model 940 two man saws and some welders.

The other carburetor used on many welders (103cc) was the same one used on the BP-1 (44cc).

1675175108019.png

For whatever reason, the BP-1/Welder carburetor uses two metering diaphragms, the IPL calls them "Actuator Diaphragms".

1675175239409.png

Mark

Anyone know if the oil tank on the pm805 is unique to the 805/DE80, etc? The IPL does not list it separate from the crankcase cylinder.

Just wondering if the same tank was used on something other than those specific saws.

Thx,
Todd

PM8200 is different, 6 screws rather than 8 holding the oil tank to the cylinder.

I think even the SP80/81 and PM850 as well as PM800, 805, and DE80 are all the same. Super 850 as well.

This is a PM8200 short block that came in a DE80 I bought, notice there are only two external screws in the oil tank/crankcase.

20221109_081449.jpg

20221109_081456.jpg

The same 4 bolt patten inside the tank.

20221109_081521.jpg

I think the SP60 and SP70 tanks would also work as they used the same bearing insert and anti-vibe mount system as the 82cc models.

The only difference would be some very early saws used a retaining ring rather than the dowel pin to locate the bearing insert on the PTO side.

1675260386585.png

Mark

I was handed the prototype gear saw rim drive. Minus the keyway cut and minus final reaming of the i/d. Just cause he has the dimensions necessary. It fits a rim sprocket perfectly. This will allow many options for the gear saws. And chain combinations with bars to match.
View attachment 1053634View attachment 1053635

I'm interested i a few of these rim drive adaptors if you have some for sale. Thanks for going through the effort to get these made.

Latest posts

Back