McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upon further review...I do see two IPL's, 85808 dated August 1971 and Special 85808 dated November 1972 that show a left hand start Super 2-10.

Guess I will have to be on the lookout for another saw to add to the display...

Mark
I "THINK" I put one in the carcass box I brought back from under Bobs shop. When I go through the box in a couple weeks I will keep my eyes open for it Mark.

The fuel pick up line coming from the tank connects to the black fitting in this photo.

20230313_100303.jpg

Then there is a line from the brass fitting in this photo that connects to the inlet side of the primer, the shorter nipple on the primer is the vacuum side.

20230313_100550.jpg

Finally, the discharge side of the primer is routed back to the fuel tank. Check closely where the two lines (pick up line from the tank to the carburetor, and return line from the primer back to the tank) pass through the plastic housing of the saw, it is too easy to get one or both pinched in there when putting a saw back together.

Mark

That's probably what happened Mark.The primer line must be pinched,but the feed line is good.I went back out yesterday after it had sat for a couple hrs.& it started right up with the choke.I'll try it again today after sitting all night & see if it starts right up again with the choke only..

This is kind of a 1st for me in the Mac field.Whoever had this saw abused the hell out of it.There was dirt & sawdust packed everywhere.I was surprised the engine wasn't burnt up,no scoring on the piston though.Where to begin.....obviously it's a PM 10-10 with a 10-10A tank handle on it.It has an SDC65 carb in it - not stock on either saw.Someone had replaced the carb & didn't put the gasket back in that goes between the carb & spacer.The linkages were both unhooked because they didn't know how to reconnect them.In the oil tank,the allen screw that holds the oil tank to the fuel tank was used in the rear of the air box & they put a screw with 2 nuts in the oil tank to plug the hole.The gaskets for the tank spacer were pretty much non-existent.The muffler has a hole in it & is missing a bolt.Surprisingly it has really good compression.Missing both bar plates.The chain brake has been mostly dissambled so that it's just a clutch cover with a brake band in it.The rear handle brace has been either cut off,or was broken.I'm sure there's more stuff I forgot,this is just what I can remember,Lol.I think I can make it run again though,it'll take me some time.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 0
This 10-10 hybrid just keeps getting better & better.I pulled the rotted muffler off today & found the gasket had pretty much disintegrated.No problem,I have a couple on hand.I tried checking the rings to see if they were free & it didn't seem as if they were.I'll probably end up pulling the cylinder off to replace the crank seals anyway.I pulled the oil pump out to make sure that was in good working order & it is.
I then moved on to the points box & condenser,what a nightmare.The guy who worked on the saw must've thought he was a genius,but in reality he was a simple moron.He must've lost the screw that holds the condenser in place,so he used a hex headed screw that was about an inch long & he Loctited it in place.After cussing for about 45 min.I finally got it out.I don't know if I should even attempt to get the broken screw out that holds the recoil on.It's the one on the lower front.I've NEVER had any luck with a LH drill bit.

Mac made the choke rods for the 5700 a bit different also.

I've never seen a skid plate break like that.Maybe defects in the material?That's a cast aluminum plate if I'm not mistaken.

Mark, thanks for letting me borrow that 600 series. It cuts great. Sorry that my super glue repair on the skid plate didn't hold. I always try to fix anything I break before returning a borrowed item. As to how it broke, I am not at liberty to say. I had to sign an NDA with Blind Squirrel Falling as part of my employment agreement. The company motto is a rather familiar one - what happens at BSF stays at BSF. I think it is okay for me to tell you that the saw took the impact a lot better than the car parked next door.

Ron

Well guys ive gone and done it again. Ive been talking about doing this for awhile here and there. Today was the day. I built or put together an 70cc gear drive with antivibe. Its a SP70G in my book anyway. Super Pro 70 Geardrive. Took a few hrs. But....it worked. Heres a few pictures. I watched a video of a 797 gear drive on youtube and that gave me the idea. Same concept just smaller. I havent cut with it yet but it runs just lovely.
20230402_192448.jpg20230402_175659.jpg20230402_175626.jpg20230402_192504.jpg20230402_192526.jpg

Well guys ive gone and done it again. Ive been talking about doing this for awhile here and there. Today was the day. I built or put together an 70cc gear drive with antivibe. Its a SP70G in my book anyway. Super Pro 70 Geardrive. Took a few hrs. But....it worked. Heres a few pictures. I watched a video of a 797 gear drive on youtube and that gave me the idea. Same concept just smaller. I havent cut with it yet but it runs just lovely.
View attachment 1071739View attachment 1071740View attachment 1071741View attachment 1071742View attachment 1071743

Thats AWESOME!

View attachment 1071739View attachment 1071740View attachment 1071741View attachment 1071742View attachment 1071743
Thats COOL Vinny!

Latest posts

Back