McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the propblem as to why it was smoking so much.Thios is something that I don't understand,I always use a fuel stabilizer so the fuel will not go bad & yet the fuel in the 310 was bad.I dumped out the old fuel & put in fresh fuel,restarted the saw & it cleared up very quickly.I had to open the hi needle about 1/4 turn & then it throttled up very nicely.No more smoking 310.

I found the propblem as to why it was smoking so much.Thios is something that I don't understand,I always use a fuel stabilizer so the fuel will not go bad & yet the fuel in the 310 was bad.I dumped out the old fuel & put in fresh fuel,restarted the saw & it cleared up very quickly.I had to open the hi needle about 1/4 turn & then it throttled up very nicely.No more smoking 310.

Fuel stabilizer doesn't work forever. I think Sta-bil lists something like "up to 24 months". I probably wouldn't trust it past a year since it's "up to" 24 months.

Fuel stabilizer doesn't work forever. I think Sta-bil lists something like "up to 24 months". I probably wouldn't trust it past a year since it's "up to" 24 months.
I don't use Stabil,I found out yrs.ago that it isn't worth a damn in 2 cycle mix.I've had good luck with Lucas & Startron & have never had a problem with it.The only thing that might've happened last yr.was I ran out of stabilizer & figured it wouldn't matter since I was planning on using the fuel immediately anyway.Obviously that didn't happen.Everyone has their own theories about what to do with fuel,how to mix it at what ratio,what brand of 2 cycle mix to use,etc.I've found what works best for me & I'm sticking with it.

Today my son & I pruned trees in our yard,it took 2 hrs.We only had 2 saws break down on us.First the E.B.2.1 started running at a very high idle.I thought it had an air leak due to a bad crank seal,but at the lunch break I had a look at the carb.I saw right away what the problem was - the 2 screws that hold the choke assembly & the carb on had backed out almost completely.I tightened them backup & the saw ran like a champ again.While the E.B.2.1 was down we went to the 3816.That saw ran like crap.I guess I'll have to pull the carb for a rebuild.
After the pruning was out of the way we decided to go out cutting wood for the 1st time this yr.We took 5 saws with us - PM700,Timber Bear,Super 10-10,E.B.2.1,& Stihl MS250.We dropped an ash tree that was Y'd.The 1st section dropped as planned,but the Timber Bear quit after 7 or 8 cuts,no spark.The 2nd section dropped right into a small red oak that held the ash from falling.My son is pretty good at figuring things out,so he dropped the red oak & had to get out of Dodge real quick when it started to fall.We noticed there were a couple screws missing on the PM700 recoil,I'll have to see if I have them on hand here.The Super 10-10 developed a clutch problem,I'll pull that apart tomorrow to have a look.It looks like the switch wire got pinched & severed on the Timber Bear,but it was grounding out on the frame/crankcase.

Yeah they are! LOL

Out of curiosity, is anyone using the crimp down spark plug terminal clips instead of the archaic pierced springs? Seems like if they're good enough for race cars they'd work for chain saws -- and be much easier to install than what we otherwise wrestle with.

Yeah, yeah..., some of you replace the spring style all the time and have never had a problem getting the boots back on. I usually end up bleeding.

Yeah they are! LOL

Out of curiosity, is anyone using the crimp down spark plug terminal clips instead of the archaic pierced springs? Seems like if they're good enough for race cars they'd work for chain saws -- and be much easier to install than what we otherwise wrestle with.

Yeah, yeah..., some of you replace the spring style all the time and have never had a problem getting the boots back on. I usually end up bleeding.
I do Poge , I have alot of them from my hotrod builds left over, they used to git you extras in the accel kit.

I use some spray silicone lubricant to aid in sliding the boot over the connector. 7mm aren't too bad, some of the 5mm ones are a struggle for the full size connectors.

The crimp on connectors would only help with the "wobble", you still have to get the boot to slide over the connector.

Mark

I use dielectric grease to slide the boot over the terminal clamp. And depending on the style of boot and the actual condition of the spring clamp, I'll slide the boot onto the wire before trying to punch that damned pin through the insulation (hoping I make contact with the conductor). That approach can sometimes assist with keeping the pin in place while getting the clamp into the boot.

Otherwise, a crimped terminal clamp would certainly seem to provide much stronger contact with both the wire and the conductor itself, not to mention being much less prone to coming loose while installing the boot from either direction.

Just seems like a logical replacement choice (and upgrade)) for a saw needing a plug lead repair.

Latest posts

Back