McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!
I'm a huge but new gan of mcculloch chainsaws from hungary :)
I had a luck to buy a mcculloch 6-10 :)
Do you know the type of the recoil crews? Are this 10-24 pitch srews?
Thanks a lot!
Welcome friend!! Someone probably will come along shortly who knows the answer, but if not I'll be glad to remove one tonight and check for you!

Welcome friend!! Someone probably will come along shortly who knows the answer, but if not I'll be glad to remove one tonight and check for you!
Ohh thanks a lot!
I have some missing bolts and nuts.
I found that the bar nuts are 5/16 24 tpi. But I have not found the recoil bolts :(

Attachments

• IMG-1606.jpg
    IMG-1606.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-1607.jpg
    IMG-1607.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
gyula - The screws attaching the starter cover to the flywheel housing, and the screws attaching the flywheel housing to the saw are a mix of 10-24 (#10 screw, 24 TPI) and 8-32 (#8 screw, 32 TPI). The "oval head" screws, the ones securing the starter cover to the flywheel housing are 1-1/8" long, the three holding the flywheel housing to the saw are an odd length, maybe 2-1/4"...

The 10-24 screws are 1/2" long, pan head type screws.

Your saw is very unique, and may not be all original.

The 6-10 model was a right hand start saw

DSC00886.JPG

DSC00883.JPG

Your saw clearly has a left hand starter, and a type of starter housing not commonly found on any McCulloch models.

This is a conventional left hand starter arrangement.

20210310_171017.jpg

I have only seen a few saws with the type of starter housing you have, mostly on export models. I think they were most commonly found in Japan but obviously there were some in Europe as well. I have one (10-10) that I found on eBay. I have never seen one with the perforated metal like your saw has. Please show us a photo or two from the clutch side of the saw as well, I am interested in seeing what type of clutch cover is has.

20200911_170941.jpg

Mark

gyula - The screws attaching the starter cover to the flywheel housing, and the screws attaching the flywheel housing to the saw are a mix of 10-24 (#10 screw, 24 TPI) and 8-32 (#8 screw, 32 TPI). The "oval head" screws, the ones securing the starter cover to the flywheel housing are 1-1/8" long, the three holding the flywheel housing to the saw are an odd length, maybe 2-1/4"...

View attachment 1072114

View attachment 1072115

Your saw clearly has a left hand starter, and a type of starter housing not commonly found on any McCulloch models.

View attachment 1072119

I have only seen a few saws with the type of starter housing you have, mostly on export models. I think they were most commonly found in Japan but obviously there were some in Europe as well. I have one (10-10) that I found on eBay. I have never seen one with the perforated metal like your saw has. Please show us a photo or two from the clutch side of the saw as well, I am interested in seeing what type of clutch cover is has.

View attachment 1072121

Mark
Mark! Thank you for the informations! I will try these bolts!
Yes, it is may not original, but i think it is awesome looking saw. A looked a lot online, before i bougt it. I found 1 or 2 mc10-10 with this recoil arrengement.
I live in eastern europe, so anything could happen :)
Tommorow I will add more photos.
From the unique decompresion valve which is activated by the on-off swith together with fast idle I think it is a 6-10 but i am not totally conviced :)

I don't know if I should post here,or on the Mini Mac sticky with this one,but here goes.Mark,you put a PM310 together for me last yr.& I never really got a chance to use it.The recoil locked up on me,so I set it aside till today.I pulled the recoil off & found it needed to be retensioned.I put it back on & it came undone again.So,I pulled the recoil off a 2.3 & put that on & it's working great now.I fired up the saw & it turned into a mosquito fogger.The chain is getting lots of oil on it,so I don't know why it's smoking so much.
I put the recoil that was on the 310 onto the 2.3 & it's working just fine on that saw.I thought the 2.3 had low compression,but that's not the case.It doesn't have any spark.I really don't like working on the 300 series saws,everything is so compact.

Sometimes bar oil can seep through the pulse pump when a saw is setting for a while. Let it run for a minute or two and it should clear up. I have a few that I need to store with the oil tank mostly empty to prevent this. If it doesn't clear up, you will need to change the o-ring at the least, more likely you'll need to change the pulse pump.

These came in yesterday, I'll get them put up in the museum building shortly.

20230405_172953.jpg

20230405_173139.jpg

Mark

View attachment 1072114

View attachment 1072115

View attachment 1072119

View attachment 1072121

Mark
As I mentioned earlier i made more photos about my neat little 6-10 :)

Attachments

• IMG-1630.jpg
    IMG-1630.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1629.jpg
    IMG-1629.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1628.jpg
    IMG-1628.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1627.jpg
    IMG-1627.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1626.jpg
    IMG-1626.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
You can see that the clutch could be fit with the rivets and starter pawls for the right hand starter, the clutch is probably equipped with a keyway and uses right hand threads on the crankshaft (speculation on my part). I have an early 7-10 that also used the DSP valve and has that same type of smaller clutch cover.

20210313_144653.jpg

This one is also interesting due to the three piece screen on the starter side. This was fairly common on the early 7-10 models. By the way, I do have 3D printed
screens for those three piece units.

20210313_144624.jpg

There were two common problems with the keyed clutch, too loose and the key would wobble and chip out around the keyway...

20210311_153729.jpg

Too tight and the clutch spider would break. I have learned a few things about swapping parts on those clutches...

20210313_104251.jpg

You have to pay careful attention to the threads on the crankshaft when you go to remove the clutch since both LH and RH threaded crankshafts were used.

Mark

Sometimes bar oil can seep through the pulse pump when a saw is setting for a while. Let it run for a minute or two and it should clear up. I have a few that I need to store with the oil tank mostly empty to prevent this. If it doesn't clear up, you will need to change the o-ring at the least, more likely you'll need to change the pulse pump.

These came in yesterday, I'll get them put up in the museum building shortly.

View attachment 1072726

View attachment 1072727

Mark
I let the saw run for somewhere between 1 & 2 minuters & it didn't clear up.My guess is it'll need a new pump & O ring.I believe I have both here,but if not they'll be going on my upcoming order..BTW,I didn't have my knuckle replacement last week,I tested positive for Covid & now they've postponed the surgery date to 4/28.

Back