McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you have to strip back at least a 1/2" of insulation to fold the wire behind the terminal end, so reusing the old lead may not be an option.
If it's one of those deals where someone has mangled the insulation trying to fix it, I think I'd try just cutting off the coil part of the clip and then crimp around the remaining pin piece.., providing there's still enough insulation for the new crimp connector to get a good grip.

As for saws catching fire..., a tree service friend of mine had a MS461 light up on him after a sloppy re-fuel by one of his crew. Shirt on fire, rolling on the ground hoping to put it out, the whole nightmare scenario. Another guy smothered it with his coat. Amost got, very, very ugly.

Bad plug boot with someone's $hitty repair attempt. I could see it arching when they brought it in.

You can see that the clutch could be fit with the rivets and starter pawls for the right hand starter, the clutch is probably equipped with a keyway and uses right hand threads on the crankshaft (speculation on my part). I have an early 7-10 that also used the DSP valve and has that same type of smaller clutch cover.

View attachment 1072815

This one is also interesting due to the three piece screen on the starter side. This was fairly common on the early 7-10 models. By the way, I do have 3D printed
screens for those three piece units.

View attachment 1072822

There were two common problems with the keyed clutch, too loose and the key would wobble and chip out around the keyway...

View attachment 1072816

Too tight and the clutch spider would break. I have learned a few things about swapping parts on those clutches...

View attachment 1072820

You have to pay careful attention to the threads on the crankshaft when you go to remove the clutch since both LH and RH threaded crankshafts were used.

Mark
Mark!
Sorry for the late reply. It was easter :)
Thank you againg for the lots of information about these chainsaws!
I love my 6-10 :) it is very unique :)
Fortunately my clutch is in good shape, I hope i do not have to manipulate it :)
Gyula

I guess curiousity got the best of me & I bought a Jenn Feng Mac saw.It's an MS1635,pretty much the same as the 3516,only the cylinder is vertical instead of the traditional horizontal cylinder that Mac used.This should be interesting!

I have my "reference library" in a closet in my office adjacent to the shop. The pull out racks are nice as I can grab an IPL and take it out to the shop if I need to. In the three ring binders I am trying to put together an additional "clean" copy of the IPL, owners manual, Mike Acres page, and any specific saw literature for each model.

20230413_070814.jpg

I also have a nice assortement of Chainsaw Age and Power Equipement Trade magazines that came from Joyce Wilson. The Homelite IPL's came from a local O P E dealer that passed away.

20230413_070821.jpg

I still have a few binders of IPL's and Service Bulletins to go through and see if any will supplement the materials I have in the working section.

20230413_070827.jpg

Mark

I have had trouble sourcing clutches and drums for several of the Jenn Feng models, seems they were not very popular here in the US and parts are scarce.

It is a bit of a shame, as some of them like the MS2050AV were actually nice smaller saws.
Out of curiosity, have you researched any cross-references to the Poulan PP4020/5020AV parts? They look very similar -- in an Electrolux-ish sorta way.

Today I got at the Timber Bear that quit on me on Sat.while out cutting.I've never had a coil go bad on me when I was cutting in all the 50+ yrs.I've been cutting wood.Spark plugs,yes.I got the new coil on & the saw put back together & fuel up.It started withing 10 pulls & was running a tad rich & the idle was a bit low too.I got it running perfect & went to shut it off & it weouldn't shut off.Now I gotta empty out the fuel again & pull the recoil assembly/fan housing back off again to see what happened.At least it runs again,Lol.

I have my "reference library" in a closet in my office adjacent to the shop. The pull out racks are nice as I can grab an IPL and take it out to the shop if I need to. In the three ring binders I am trying to put together an additional "clean" copy of the IPL, owners manual, Mike Acres page, and any specific saw literature for each model.

I also have a nice assortement of Chainsaw Age and Power Equipement Trade magazines that came from Joyce Wilson. The Homelite IPL's came from a local O P E dealer that passed away.

I still have a few binders of IPL's and Service Bulletins to go through and see if any will supplement the materials I have in the working section.

Mark
Simply jealous of your setup Mark. I have TONS of service info, manuals, and IPL's but nothing like that setup to store it. I have a shelf 12"H x 16"D x 40'L with documentation. But pull out shelves I do not have. I cant wait to ride up.

Ed, i bought a 605 at a flea market once for 12 dollars. Just for parts. That coil on it...would not shut off the saw. It ran ok but would not allow the kill switch to function. I had to pull it off and cut the lead for parts. Tossed it. But i got a bar, and clutch and 10-10 crank out of it for 12 dollars. Win

I noticed on the new coils that I got from both Max & another seller on feebay didn't have 2 prongs coming out of it.One prong on the original coil was a ground that went under one of the hold down bolts,the other prong was for the kill switch wire.I just assumed that whoever made the aftermarket coils had integrated the ground wire somehow.I shut the saw off by pulling the choke out.

The cost for a 125 has increased so much lately, that I have given up on acquiring one for my collection. Twenty years ago, they sold for peanuts, but I wasn't interested then. I have some unusual Macs in my collection, and I guess I will have to be satisfied with the knowledge that I have other 100+ cc saws, and I should be happy.
If one 125 ever becomes available, close enough to me that it is a reasonable acquisition, I will jump on it like a spider on a fly.

Ed - the ground is built into the later coils, the terminal is for the stop switch wire. When that terminal is grounded the saw will stop.

Mark
Ed - the ground is built into the later coils, the terminal is for the stop switch wire. When that terminal is grounded the saw will stop.

Mark
Thanks for that info Mark.Now I know that either the switch wire came unhooked from one of the terminals,or my splice broke.Would you have any opf the switch wires available,part # 92466?

The cost for a 125 has increased so much lately, that I have given up on acquiring one for my collection. Twenty years ago, they sold for peanuts, but I wasn't interested then. I have some unusual Macs in my collection, and I guess I will have to be satisfied with the knowledge that I have other 100+ cc saws, and I should be happy.
If one 125 ever becomes available, close enough to me that it is a reasonable acquisition, I will jump on it like a spider on a fly.
I thought along the same lines as you, then a buddy dropped off 3 125's and told me if I made 1 runner for him I could build a second for myself. Well, I have a complete almost runner CP125 under my bench now and as soon as I fix my spark issue I will have a $100? $200? runner CP125. Long story short, never give up.

Back