McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought along the same lines as you, then a buddy dropped off 3 125's and told me if I made 1 runner for him I could build a second for myself. Well, I have a complete almost runner CP125 under my bench now and as soon as I fix my spark issue I will have a $100? $200? runner CP125. Long story short, never give up.

I know, that if the opportunity presents itself, I will jump at the chance to buy one. It would not be a problem for me, even if it was not a runner. I have a buddy that has still not retired from the forestry business, and am going to ask him to keep his eyes open for a saw for me. There are a lot of Macs I don't have, but I have all the yellow saws I want, except for the 125.

I do have a few 92466 assemblies and some switches and wires independently.

Mark
I'll have to keep that in mind, my current issue is the saw loses spark when I slap a plug on the lead. If there's no plug I have spark for days, put a plug in and nada. 6 different plugs didn't help so I'm guessing my coil is too weak. The points, condenser, etc were replaced by an atom chip probably 30 years ago so I know it's not them, not much else it could be I'd say.

I thought along the same lines as you, then a buddy dropped off 3 125's and told me if I made 1 runner for him I could build a second for myself. Well, I have a complete almost runner CP125 under my bench now and as soon as I fix my spark issue I will have a $100? $200? runner CP125. Long story short, never give up.
Your posting has renewed my hope. I have to admit, that if I am able to find one, I will have to sneak it into the house under the nose of the two legged guard dog, who might have a different opinion as to its value. I am willing to accept the risk, she isn't awake all the time.

Just putting a plug on the lead without being grounded kills spark? What are you using to check for spark without a plug?
I use an inline tester, if I ground the tester end on the jug I have spark. If I put a plug in the tester and ground or install it, no spark. Visually watching for spark jumping the plug gap confirms it and I've tried new plugs, known working plugs, nothings changes it. I haven't put a volt meter on it yet as I've had a few more important projects come up, but that or a new coil is next on my list.

Dont give up yet. Be vigilant. A 125 will find its way to you. I paid too much for a 1 owner cp125...according to the guard dog...then a sp125 was on ebay one evening some time later, for a buy it now of 500.00. I couldnt hit buy it now fast enough. The guy couldnt get it running right. He had put a chip in it and had the leads reversed. Its complete and runs great.
20191209_152422.jpg

Dont give up yet. Be vigilant. A 125 will find its way to you. I paid too much for a 1 owner cp125...according to the guard dog...then a sp125 was on ebay one evening some time later, for a buy it now of 500.00. I couldnt hit buy it now fast enough. The guy couldnt get it running right. He had put a chip in it and had the leads reversed. Its complete and runs great.
View attachment 1075480
That is a pretty saw, the kind I like that have worked for a living but haven't been abused.

Your posting has renewed my hope. I have to admit, that if I am able to find one, I will have to sneak it into the house under the nose of the two legged guard dog, who might have a different opinion as to its value. I am willing to accept the risk, she isn't awake all the time.
Im in the same boat. I have 3 - 700's , an 850 and a 1000 but still want the king of the woods!!

Missing a few pieces, but Ill hunt them down later. They're deep in the shed.
My super 797 that I haven't seen in years is a lot cleaner than I remember.

Look at the shine of that factory paint!!

Can't believe it cost me less than $500 back when I bought it, not that long ago.

Think maybe I should clean my rat's nest?20230417_155101.jpg

No way. Messy is fine.

However you have a great start to a cp125. The super 797 uses the same engine. Same piston. Something to think about.........just might take a bit to get it all mounted right.

I just need more space, like a lot more. I've got a small automotive performance shop in my attic with all of the turbos, intercoolers, piping, manifolds, bla bla bla. Had to move all of it out of the garage to make room for more junk.

If I do anything besides reassembling this saw, I'll use the crankshaft in my 101m/c project.
I took the 797 apart to re-ring it. Then I got occupied for a while.. The 795 I did was a great success so it prompted me to do the 797.

Anyone know where I can source crank seals for my 450?I fired the beast up yesterday for the 1st time in 2 yrs.& it ran like crap.I couldn't adjust the carb at all.I'm thinking about pulling that carb off & putting an HL63 on it,but I'll need the linkages.

Back