McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I've pretty much tackled the woes of the 1-75 I've now moved on to the woes of the 450.The points were pretty dirty,so I pulled them out & cleaned them up & reinstalled them & gapped them at .018.Still no spark,so I put in a different condenser & still no spark.I've exhausted my condenser supply,so it'll be a chip going in next.I've pulled the coil for testing also.I've also tried about 3 different plugs.

Just letting people know I have these available on my ebay store.
Thanks to Mark for the recent testing and all your help over years.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/cinci5

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpeg
    IMG_3502.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3506.jpeg
    IMG_3506.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3509.png
    IMG_3509.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3508.png
    IMG_3508.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Brian,I kinda figured it was .018.I was able to look on Acres' site,but I can't always rely on what he has published there as being accurate.
Acres is great, and has a lot of good info, but they do occasionally have mistakes. Good thing to cross check. Best of luck on the project.

Brian

Just letting people know I have these available on my ebay store.
Thanks to Mark for the recent testing and all your help over years.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/cinci5
Very nice looking work Jeffery.....Good to see another digging in to make replacements for seemingly irreplaceable items.

Any suggestions on a tank gasket for my 10-10 S never fails. New seal every year. Just got it back together ready to cut some wood and tank is weeping all around seal.
I've cut and sold hundreds of 10 series cork replacement gaskets and have not had a failure. The reason I prefer Cork is that it swells in the cavity and helps fill the gap (why I don't recommend any sealant unless you have a lot of corrosion).

https://www.oldsawshop.com/McCulloch-10-10-Cork-Tank-Gasket-p546743282

I've cut and sold hundreds of 10 series cork replacement gaskets and have not had a failure. The reason I prefer Cork is that it swells in the cavity and helps fill the gap (why I don't recommend any sealant unless you have a lot of corrosion).

https://www.oldsawshop.com/McCulloch-10-10-Cork-Tank-Gasket-p546743282
I personally like the cork also have cut quite a few, I use them myself. This one is glued to paper as a template for milling. I used laser but didn’t like results. Cnc milled it and came out great. I got a CNC mill last fall and haven’t looked back 👍

Attachments

• IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I spent half the afternoon trying to get spark on the 450.I put a chip in the saw & had spark for 2 primes through the plug hole.It wouldn't fire when priming through the carb.I put another chip in it & still no spark.I've come to the conclusion that the coil went bad.I've got a brand new coil on a 380 that ended up as a parts saw,I just gotta hunt it up.The digital meter I have is a POS,I tried using it today & can't get it to read out on a known good coil.

Jeffrey & Brian,I've noticed that with your flat back kits you're only making the metering diaphragm & gaskets.Shouldn't there be a fuel pump diaphragm as well? If there is a fuel pump diaphjragm I must've missed it.

On to the 450 no spark issue.I found another coil & put it on the saw today & only got a little poof.I pulled out my 250 that I haven't had fired up in at least 3 yrs.,put fuel in the carb & it fired right up.I took the coil off that saw & put the original coil from the 450 on & it fired up again.Obviously it wasn't a bad coil on the 450.I'll have to do some troubleshooting tomorrow.

Jeffrey & Brian,I've noticed that with your flat back kits you're only making the metering diaphragm & gaskets.Shouldn't there be a fuel pump diaphragm as well? If there is a fuel pump diaphjragm I must've missed it.
I had the fuel pump diaphragm listed but the material wasn’t satisfactory after Mark tested it. So I pulled it off eBay. If it’s the one with .020 thickness. It was the 57274 with the same .020 material it swelled up and looked nasty that he tested.

Attachments

• IMG_3525.jpeg
    IMG_3525.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
On a somewhat unrelated matter,I gave Bob Johnson a call yesterday just to see how he's doing.He was the old Bob that I knew from the past,joking & just being himself.He says hello to all his fellow Mac guys.We talked about the parts game & so on & he got me mixed up with Max,but pretty much still on his game for a youngster of 83+.

As you all may have been reading,I've had a problem with getting spark on my 450 using a chip.Normally I use a thinner one wire chip because in a lot of applications there isn't enough room for the thicker Nova chip.This time was an exception,I was able to use the Nova chip,but I needed a longer screw to put it where the condenser was.I got lucky & found a longer screw,but after I got the saw all put back together it ran like a turd.The Nova chip has 2 wires which if you're not aware,you can reverse the polarity & not know it.This happened to me today.Unfortunately I ran out of time & wasn't able to pull the recoil & flywheel off again to reverse the wires & put it back together again.I was just elated that I was able to finally get spark back on the saw again.Originally I connected the wire from the chip to the points stud & had the points set wide open.Apparently this can't be done.I'm not an electrical genius,so it's live & learn..

On a slightly sadder note the 1-75 is in need of crank seals,I can't hold a tune on the saw to save my life.I also found out that the plug it had in it was no good.Another problem that keeps cropping up is the throttle linkage likes to come unhooked from the carb causing it to run WOT.

On a somewhat unrelated matter,I gave Bob Johnson a call yesterday just to see how he's doing.He was the old Bob that I knew from the past,joking & just being himself.He says hello to all his fellow Mac guys.We talked about the parts game & so on & he got me mixed up with Max,but pretty much still on his game for a youngster of 83+.
My Dad used to supply parts to Bob back in the ‘70s for McCulloch. He was the distributor of McCulloch for all of NY and northern PA. I remember the first time I saw a McCulloch with the red, white, and blue on her side. I was lit up with excitement. My dad said “ that’s the biggest saw they make”. I actually got to drive a factory racing cart as well. Went to
Los Angeles took a tour of the factory. 1970 or 71 can’t remember.

My Dad used to supply parts to Bob back in the ‘70s for McCulloch. He was the distributor of McCulloch for all of NY and northern PA. I remember the first time I saw a McCulloch with the red, white, and blue on her side. I was lit up with excitement. My dad said “ that’s the biggest saw they make”. I actually got to drive a factory racing cart as well. Went to
Los Angeles took a tour of the factory. 1970 or 71 can’t remember.
There's so much I missed out on by not having an interest in working on saws in my younger yrs.If I'd have had a mentor it might've been different.As it is I didn't start working on saws till I was almost 60.You younger fellas have a leg up on me in that category.I envy you Jeff for having been through the original Mac factory in L.A.I'm not familiar with the red,white,& blue saw that Mac made.You'll have to enlighten us here.

There's so much I missed out on by not having an interest in working on saws in my younger yrs.If I'd have had a mentor it might've been different.As it is I didn't start working on saws till I was almost 60.You younger fellas have a leg up on me in that category.I envy you Jeff for having been through the original Mac factory in L.A.I'm not familiar with the red,white,& blue saw that Mac made.You'll have to enlighten us here.

It was like this saw but guy had it all dolled up. My dad was service manager. He did all the warranty work etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3527.jpeg
    IMG_3527.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
Back