McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really remember but it caught my eye cause it seemed like a huge engine. i was 21 and didn't really care much about the saws I was racing Polaris snowmobiles at the time. But the colors and the size caught my eye. I do remember him saying that's the biggest one they make or something to that effect . It probably was done up for the 1776/1976 now that I think about it . It was in for warranty work I guess.
Bob McCulloch gave my dad a boat motor when we were in LA for the tour. I never knew they made boat motors till then.

I thought it was time I formally introduced myself.

I've been a member here a while but have spent most of my "saw" time on McCulloch facebook groups. I've worked with Mark Heimann on a few projects for diaphragms and carb kits (BP-1 etc...) which he's mentioned through this thread. I decided I'd had enough outside interest in the Stickers and Gaskets I initially made for my own use that I should start a store and make it more of a legitimate business. It's still a side hustle, but I've built a complete offering for 10 series saws, and am really starting to get somewhere on some of the gaskets and diaphragms for the early 60's McCullochs. Below are links to some of our products. The newest of which is a 33,35,39 series Metering Diaphragm. My goal has been to reproduce some of the harder to get items now that I have a lot of the 10 series stuff already made.

McCulloch 10 series saw gaskets
McCulloch 10 series Accurate reproduction Stickers
McCulloch Flat Back Carb Kit
McCulloch 125 gasket kit
McCulloch Top Tank Fuel Tank Gasket
McCulloch BP-1 carb kit
McCulloch front Tank fuel tank gasket
McCulloch 33 series saw Metering Diaphragm

All of these can be found at www.oldsawshop.com along with stickers. Most of which is for McCulloch, but we have a few other oddballs in the mix.

Feel free to reach out to me with gasket projects at [email protected]

Thanks,

Brian Genrich
www.oldsawshop.com
Thanks for posting Brian!
I just looked at your site and established an account, as you have some stuff I might need eventually for a couple of my saws (I have one 10-10A and 2 PM 610's). Hoping you continue to expand on your products as I also have an Old RHS Super Mac 2-10A, 2 Really Old 3-25's, a PM 6, PM 310 that sure do take time to find parts for when I can......

I finally got the 450 running again today! I switched the wires on the Nova chip,put it back together & only got a little pop that's not even worth mentioning.I pulled the recoil off once again & loosened the FW nut & noticed that the wire that plugs into the coil coming from the chip was unplugged.I rerouted the wire so it can't come unplugged,tightened the FW nut & put the recoil back on for the umpteenth time & it fired right up.Only problem is it needs crank seals that I got from Mark already.The problem with that is neither crank seal is marked as to which one goes where.I suppose I can match them up when I pull them out if I don't destroy them too badly.

My issue with them is, they have been out of production for a long time so OEM parts are hard to obtain and replacement of major components will be aftermarket at best. Secondly, I don't collect chainsaws anyway, I use them. No shelf queens here. The exception is my 45 year old Stihl 028 AV, but I can still get OEM parts for it and I use it all the time, it's a working saw. Years and years ago I had a GP racing cart with twin McCollugh engines on it, they were always hard to start but once running, they screamed.

It was like this saw but guy had it all dolled up. My dad was service manager. He did all the warranty work etc.
That is MY SAW....A Super Pro 125C with 101B kart engine photo taken May 2018,same day it arrived from the shipper.I recognize the chip in the AF cover plus all the stuff in the background.You mustve found that on Facebook someplace.Soon afterwards I replaced the yellow starter cover with a chrome one & installed the blue recoil starter on it.
The 101B engine (which was installed by former owner,a Southern Oregon timber cutter) was produced 1974-75,the last in the line of kart engines which started around 1960. For some reason I have no clue,the 101B was produced a few years after the 101AA,101C & 101D.But McCulloch did lots of things with their parts numbering system as well as production dates that we'll never understand why.

My issue with them is, they have been out of production for a long time so OEM parts are hard to obtain and replacement of major components will be aftermarket at best. Secondly, I don't collect chainsaws anyway, I use them. No shelf queens here. The exception is my 45 year old Stihl 028 AV, but I can still get OEM parts for it and I use it all the time, it's a working saw. Years and years ago I had a GP racing cart with twin McCollugh engines on it, they were always hard to start but once running, they screamed.
I don't mean to start a war here,but maybe you're not looking hard enough or in the right places for McCulloch parts (notice the CORRECT spelling).Yes,Mac parts have been out of production for just ver 20 yrs.,but they're still out there.EBay is the wrong place to look most of the time.Bob Johnson was a great supplier of Mac parts,now he's sold out to Max the Mac Guy,AKA KnightMax here,& also Mark Heimann has a good supply of Mac parts.
Most likely the reason for your Mac engines being hard to start was a bad condenser,or simply dirty points & bad timing.

That is MY SAW....A Super Pro 125C with 101B kart engine photo taken May 2018,same day it arrived from the shipper.I recognize the chip in the AF cover plus all the stuff in the background.You mustve found that on Facebook someplace.Soon afterwards I replaced the yellow starter cover with a chrome one & installed the blue recoil starter on it.
The 101B engine (which was installed by former owner,a Southern Oregon timber cutter) was produced 1974-75,the last in the line of kart engines which started around 1960. For some reason I have no clue,the 101B was produced a few years after the 101AA,101C & 101D.But McCulloch did lots of things with their parts numbering system as well as production dates that we'll never understand why.

Easy to find. I googled "McCulloch 101 Kart engine" -> Images and your pic from Firewood Hoarders posted in 2018 showed up.

I had a pic of one of my saws mysteriously showed up on Acres' site.

Easy to find. I googled "McCulloch 101 Kart engine" -> Images and your pic from Firewood Hoarders posted in 2018 showed up.

I had a pic of one of my saws mysteriously showed up on Acres' site.
Last year sometime a Seller in one of the vintage chainsaw sales groups on FB used a 2015 photo of some saws on a shelf in my shop to request "I buy vintage saws like these,,,let me know what you have blah blah..." :mad: I was more than a little pissed off,I reported him,and the photos + his listing was removed.Turned out he was a scammer who had taken a couple other's money yet didnt ship out any merchandise.....:mad:

I DESPISE thieves,period.Dont care what they are stealing for what reason either.

Last year sometime a Seller in one of the vintage chainsaw sales groups on FB used a 2015 photo of some saws on a shelf in my shop to request "I buy vintage saws like these,,,let me know what you have blah blah..." :mad: I was more than a little pissed off,I reported him,and the photos + his listing was removed.Turned out he was a scammer who had taken a couple other's money yet didnt ship out any merchandise.....:mad:

I DESPISE thieves,period.Dont care what they are stealing for what reason either.
Please don’t consider me a thief I just used it for a explanation. Nice looking saw that’s why I used it. 🙏

Please correct me if I'm wrong,but the bigger crank seal on the left in the pic is for the FW side & the smaller seal is for the PTO (clutch)side.for the 450.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

.22 rounds are cheap for thieves. 3 times and off you go. If only things were that simple.

Yep I agree testing is crucial
Was curious if it was porous or failed under heat.
Great work though
I had some seal fine on the diaphragm set, but the same material failed on the fuel control stack. I believe it was the clamping pressure available based on the design of the original carb. The reality is the carb needed a softer material for the clamping pressure it could generate in that fuel control stack area. There was a lot of surface to surface contact which reduces the pressure per square inch applied all else being equal. the diaphragms have a nice narrow edge to them that create a higher pressure per square inch when screwed together.

OK,I pulled the 450 down as far as I could go & ran into an issue with the points box being in the way.Am I supposed to tear the saw down even further,or am I supposed to try to get the seal out the way it is in the pioc?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 0
On yet another note,the Super 2-10 that I got a little while back came onto my bench again today.The saw had quit running abruptly the last time I was working on it.I put a new plug in it today & it'd sputter,but not run.Finally I got it running somewhat,but it was spitting fuel back at me.The carb was good for crap.I finally took a compression test on it & it came in at 115 psi - not good.So I tore it down to the short block for a new set of rings.I'll try to finish cleaning it tomorrow & put the new rings in.I can't do much more than that till I get my new O rings.

Latest posts

Back