McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its been over a year since i put a mac together. The last one i did was a real frankensaw super pro 70 gear drive.....this past week i took all the remaining parts i had and built another 70cc rigid saw. G70 cylinder, 7-10 crank and piston, 7-10 oil tank, g70 fuel tank, 10-10 air cover sdc18 carb off whatever it was from. Took a few attempts to get the oil pump working and an overnight soak to swell the fuel tank gasket but its all good today and running like a 70cc mac. Came inside and told the wife....i still got it!! She just shook her head and laughed at me.

I got the PM 570 running today, needed carb rubber bits but even the fuel line was good and not too hard. The actual filter was pooched though so I need to figure that out. Idles nice and runs as good as I would hope. I didn't get much of an opportunity to cut with it as I didn't have any decent chains but without a fuel filter I don't feel like thats a great idea. Will try to get a video up of it running

I had a young guy drop in this week with questions/problems with a Power Mac 6. It was leaking fuel, and would run full speed but not idle. Leaking fuel was easy to solve, a couple of 009 o-rings on the nipple and the leak was gone.

20210412_105700.jpg

I thought "no idle" sounded like the HS check valve so we removed the carburetor and popped the welch plug, pull the retainer, and low and behold the check disc had completely vanished. New check valve installed.

While we were at it, I recommended reinforcing the starter pulley as his had a crack in the plastic like so many of those do. He brought in a 1" copper coupling that required only a little boring to fit the pulley, then add a pop rivet just to make sure it will remain in place. Since I had some additional pulleys on hand that needed repairs I went ahead and fixed them all at once.

20240323_111311.jpg

Another McCulloch ready to go back to work...

Mark

The shape makes me think Alpina. If it is really an Alpina 120 I'd like to have it...

View attachment 1164176

Mark
I tried Mark. Had asked him what his schedule was so I could go after it. After an hour or so, he removed it. Late to the party again. Was only 1-1/2 hours away too. Only $100 !!!!

... .

While we were at it, I recommended reinforcing the starter pulley as his had a crack in the plastic like so many of those do. He brought in a 1" copper coupling that required only a little boring to fit the pulley, then add a pop rivet just to make sure it will remain in place. Since I had some additional pulleys on hand that needed repairs I went ahead and fixed them all at once.

View attachment 1164185

Another McCulloch ready to go back to work...

Mark

That is much neater than using a hose clamp like I did on my (now Ed's) SP40.

Ron

I had a 2050AV that I thought was quite O.K.

This one seems quite heavy for a 55cc saw. The brake assembly/clutch cover is all aluminum, even the starter housing while plastic, seems pretty heavy.

Mark
Thanks for the input. May pick one up just for kicks if I find a deal. There were a couple smaller cc macs in this last haul I bought. Same version.

FWIW - I ran the Craftsman a bit yesterday, I will saw it surprised me how well it cut. I don't think it was lacking in the HP department, but my Husqvarna 550XP is a much smaller, lighter package and has the Mastermind touch so it will remain a more useful saw.

Craftsman will find a place in the display along with a few other "modern" McCulloch saws.

Mark

The 450 is 91cc and has more aggressive porting, similar to the Super 250. They still have the inherent problems of the front tank saws (fuel boiling) but do pull pretty well. They are equipped with an automatic chain oiler so they are easier on the thumb if you actually use it.

Mark
Good insight. Thank you sir.

After the Craftsman I thought I'd get a few more of the Jenn Feng saws cleaned up for the display. These were part of a large batch of saws I picked up in Oregon a few years ago. According to Mr. Chainsaw (Eugene, OR) these were purchased by Oregon (chain manufacturer) and were used for testing chain. Many had been modified so they could be mounted in some sort of test rig (see the Pro Mac 61 a few pages back) and all seem to have an extra hole drilled in the air filter cover.

Timber Bear 849

20240327_142305.jpg

20240327_142410.jpg

Bottom row, 49cc, Timber Bear 849, Craftsman

20240328_075611.jpg

I have a 46cc version in process.

20240327_195815.jpg

20240328_075705.jpg

The Jenn Feng saws so far all use a K095 bar mount. I had a few NOS bars on hand in .325, now I know at least some of what they fit.

Mark

After the Craftsman I thought I'd get a few more of the Jenn Feng saws cleaned up for the display. These were part of a large batch of saws I picked up in Oregon a few years ago. According to Mr. Chainsaw (Eugene, OR) these were purchased by Oregon (chain manufacturer) and were used for testing chain. Many had been modified so they could be mounted in some sort of test rig (see the Pro Mac 61 a few pages back) and all seem to have an extra hole drilled in the air filter cover.

Timber Bear 849

View attachment 1165286

View attachment 1165287

Bottom row, 49cc, Timber Bear 849, Craftsman

View attachment 1165288

I have a 46cc version in process.

View attachment 1165289

View attachment 1165290

The Jenn Feng saws so far all use a K095 bar mount. I had a few NOS bars on hand in .325, now I know at least some of what they fit.

Mark
Very interesting.

Latest posts

Back