McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if someone has a moment and the opportunity, i could use a good pic of a bow top guard looking at the end of it, right down the chain. I am going to have to get one made and the profile would be most helpful. Material type and thickness would be 'nice' as well. It doesn't look complicated, but falls into that risk category where screwing it up is low probability with very high consequences....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well this cover was in pretty rough shape before I started it. I got my fil to bead blast it for me and then I began sanding on it. I don't have any fancy sanding or polishing tools. All this was done by hand for the last three to four evenings. I started with a 60 grit paper and then moved to a 120. From there I used a 220 and then a 400. After that I moved on to an 800 grit. Then I pulled out a rag and some mother's mag polish and went to work. Then I buffed it by hand with a really soft cloth. The I put 5 coats of clear on it. It turned out great but there are some imperfections if you look close enough. Its also a good idea to use water when doing all the sanding to keep the dust down and to keep the paper from clogging up. I wanted to do this because I see a lot of mart Macs with the polished covers and no 10 series Macs.

Man, that looks great. Imagine the whole saw done like that.

Stink showed us another reason why our vintage saws are way cool:laugh:
You won't get a brilliant metal shine like that off plastic.

Speaking of plastic, the McCulloch man dropped by yesterday, I'll have a PM800 on Saturday. There was a minor mention of something chromed.
With the PM850, I am being redundant. I might need to unload PM80/81 parts, why build one when I'll have two already.
The 850 has a newer motor, the side mounted sissy valve and huge muffler gave it away. The muffler will be replaced with something much lighter, I have a driveside cover that will really bring the 10 series look to it.

Speaking of plastic, the McCulloch man dropped by yesterday, I'll have a PM800 on Saturday. There was a minor mention of something chromed.
With the PM850, I am being redundant. I might need to unload PM80/81 parts, why build one when I'll have two already.
The 850 has a newer motor, the side mounted sissy valve and huge muffler gave it away. The muffler will be replaced with something much lighter, I have a driveside cover that will really bring the 10 series look to it.

Why does the word "decibel" start ringing in my ears?

I didn't hear your answer.

:msp_lol: Sissy valve. :) Are you gonna slap me for using the sissy valve? :cower in fear:

SP60_crash.jpg

Does anyone have a SP60 parts saw? An oak log did a pile driver on mine. :cry::cry::cry: I was bucking firewood, the stem I was cutting on was held up in the air at chest height. The branch that was holding it up gave out and I couldn't pull the saw out because the dawgs were digging in. First wreck I've ever had cutting.

SP60_crash.jpg

Does anyone have a SP60 parts saw? An oak log did a pile driver on mine. :cry::cry::cry: I was bucking firewood, the stem I was cutting on was held up in the air at chest height. The branch that was holding it up gave out and I couldn't pull the saw out because the dawgs were digging in. First wreck I've ever had cutting.

That sucks. :( Wish I could help. I only have a bad fuel tank/handle thingamajig though. It's got white death inside of it.

Let me know if you need the older style recoil cover. Axeman on eBay has a good looking lower cowling with a BIN price - not sure how to fit it if you have the 800 rear mount. McCulloch Super Pro 81 Chainsaw Cylinder Shroud - eBay (item 290534194844 end time Mar-15-11 11:34:38 PDT)

If you have a lead on a PM81E air filter cover with a good decal or just the PM81E decal, let me know.

Ron

SP60_crash.jpg

Hurts the eyes to look, but accidents come with it. I believe we have a sponsor who can fix you: Chainsawr Search. He'll also should have the bottom brace. Ron

Well guys, I decided to trim down a couple of those pieces of firewood that we couldn't fit in the stove... I tell ya, this saw makes my 610 look silly. I love it. :) I have to make a video yet... I will do that after I fill her up with gas... (yes! I used up that much gas tuning and cutting a couple of small twigs!) Bar oiler is working excellently. I will also touch up the chain. It's somewhat sharp, but could be a little better. :)

Promise you guys, a video will be up soon. I have to find a big chunk of split fire wood, and I'll nail the ends of that piece to another big chunk of wood so we have a decent size hunk of wood to buck down the middle. :) Probably will end up with three or four big chunks nailed together at the ends to make a 'round' for some idea of what this saw's got. Sorry, I really don't have anything nice to cut up around here at the moment. :(

SP60_crash.jpg

here ya go... its stuck so it shouldn't bid up to high.
McCulloch Super pro 60 parts fix chain saw Chainsaw - eBay (item 120694520796 end time Mar-13-11 18:20:29 PDT)

Latest posts

Back