McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is that Super 797 I just got.
When it came the DSP valve was missing. I got one from Lee.
Thanks Lee, Then it would not start, only on prime but would
not stay running. So ordered a carb kit. I had it on last night
but to late to try it. Its showing about 140 psi so its not as good
as it could be.

Nice S797!!! A very fun saw to run for sure.

Hey Cliff-

That one sounds pretty good. I hope you had earplugs in. Those things are loud- when I was a kid, my dad would fire up the big Macs behind the barn and you could hear the echo all through the valley where we lived at the time. The valley was about 8 miles long and a mile wide.

They are definitely loud. I was cutting a pine tree for a friend and was using the 797 and my friend was filming it. When I finished he said, "Holy s%#&, that saw is so loud it made me nauseous!". I just laughed, I guess it is a little louder than his wildthing:msp_biggrin:.

\

Thought I would get a video of a 250 on page 250

Sounds good......and looks like it runs a bit better with fuel in it LOL.

Macs are loud, but sweet sounding. Some Homelites have a quality of pitch that will make your brain buzz. I can feel the sound my Super 754 Remmy makes in my chest.

Macs are loud, but sweet sounding. Some Homelites have a quality of pitch that will make your brain buzz. I can feel the sound my Super 754 Remmy makes in my chest.

Now I really need to find me a big saw. I love that feeling when you stand at the Christmas tree at the NHRA nationals. You can "feel" the noise in your chest. I thought nothing else was like that, 8000 HP, 50ft away.

I think that is what I like about the Macs. They are not obnoxiously loud to me, but you can feel the rumble. I just like that low pitched grumble they make. Very pleasing, especially listening from about 10 ft. away.

Now I really need to find me a big saw. I love that feeling when you stand at the Christmas tree at the NHRA nationals. You can "feel" the noise in your chest. I thought nothing else was like that, 8000 HP, 50ft away.

I always liked that, Top fuel Dragster and Funny cars.:biggrin:

The old straight pipe Cats did that too.

Yep. Same with the old IHC crawlers. My buddy fired up his TD18A for me without the mufflers on it. Just two pipes running from the manifold up through the hood. Only stuck out about 6-8" past the hood. I was standing right by the RH track when he lit it off and warmed it up on gas. That monster shook my whole body when he switched over from gas to diesel. 694ci or so of Old IHC Thunder...:clap:

Last edited:
Older son Jeff was standing about 3' away from the 1-85 when I was running it in the shop one day...he thought maybe his heart might have stopped. Said he could feel the exhaust pound his chest.

Last weekend I was running the 1-72 in town with the muffler in "Country" mode, yeah you could feel that one too.

Mark

Back