McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again I did not work on the 1-76/86 project today but chose to see what I could do with the PM805. There were a few parts missing, muffler, skid plate, wrap handle with mounts, clutch cover, etc.. I thought I had everything needed to finish it up, so I went ahead and tore it down, cleaned it up, and put it back together. As I mentioned a few hours and several pages back, the piston and cylinder are in remarkably good condition, compression release port was plugged, tank was badly varnished up. I left the cylinder soaking in Berryman's overnight to loosen the carbon, and left the tank soaking with purple cleaner and water plus 10 each 8-32 screws, nuts, and lock washers to promote some abrasive action as I shook the tank.

Today while cleaning the other parts up, I would shake the tank for about 1 minute every 10 minutes or so. Evenutally the tank rinsed clean and looked pretty good inside. The photos of the piston and cylinder do not really describe how good they actually are.

Before

attachment.php

During

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After, posing with the SP80 from last week and 7-10 from the week before. Pretty good run lately

attachment.php

Mark

The loaner / demonstrator was an SP70.

Here are a couple more of the PM805. I am glad it has the Q port, otherwise starting would be a real challenge. As it is, the PM805 is no more difficult to start than 2 of my 3 PM800's, one of those can be a bit tricky if you don't approach it with the right attitude.

I was getting anxious towards the end of the day, I promised my wife I would quit early today since all the Heimann's were coming for corned beef and cabbage dinner. In my rush, I made some spacers to allow me to use the parts I knew I had rather than looking for some fasteners and such that I thought I had. I did get it done but will replace the bar and chain next week, I may end up using a different clutch cover as well, we will let Joey decide...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Some Husqvarna crankshafts are drilled from the end with a passage to a hole at the clutch bearing (to facilitate greasing the bearing with a grease gun without removing the clutch). My guess is that this Mac is set up that way too. No idea why the PTO shaft is longer than 'normal'. How much longer is it?

Aaron, the shaft is couple of inches longer than normal...

Sorry paccity, did not see your note before. The cover/brake for the PM1000 is already spoken for, he will probably get the old one off my saw with the bent handle and I will keep that one. The fellow I got most of this stuff from, let's call him Jim, really appreciates someone who is familiar with the old McCullochs. When he held it up an I indentified it, it went in the box at no additional charge.

Mark

Carb cleaning

Heimannm I cleaned and put a kit in my Mac 10-10 automatics Walbro sdc 38 and I cleaned it also I made new gas mix. I believe the problem was when I replaced my fuel line the filter on the end fell out making the line stay above the fuel level and when I leaned it forward it would run great then run out but when I leaned it back it would run and i found this problem and fixed and it it ran like it should

Brad

And one more thing...does anyone have an idea why this power head has such a long shaft, and why it is drilled the way it is?

Mark

Mark, somehow, I'm guessing you already know this answer and are just teasing us. Where's the rest of the McContraption that motor belongs to?

Heimannm I cleaned and put a kit in my Mac 10-10 automatics Walbro sdc 38 and I cleaned it also I made new gas mix. I believe the problem was when I replaced my fuel line the filter on the end fell out making the line stay above the fuel level and when I leaned it forward it would run great then run out but when I leaned it back it would run and i found this problem and fixed and it it ran like it should

Brad

A SDC 38 is the 19mm carb. Isn't that a little big for the 10-10? The 38 was used on the 82cc macs and yours is 54cc.

Just one more thing...

Thanks Andy (minosi) for the McCulloch window decal. I will let Joey help me decide where to put that as well.

Mark

It's almost gotta go in the back window of the topper on the Ranger. Call it Pavlovian, but I see a Ranger like yours, I imagine it being full of big Yellow goodies!

Went there and cant seem to save any of the IPL's to my puter,get an adobe 106 error or something ?
suggestion on that ??

emptied my PM box,didnt know you have to delete all "sent" messages as well as incoming :)

Silly me,got one downloaded :)
may as well save them all !!!

Latest posts

Back