McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a good gas cap for the saw too (there's no cap now). If the cap is one of the rebuildable types, I can put a Homelite duckbill valve in it.

NOS too pretty for the Old Girl?

285133d1363532580-1010-cap-2-jpg

View attachment 285133

285134d1363532584-1010-cap-jpg

View attachment 285134

PM your address!

-Andy

Aaron. will this stuff work for it.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

That stuff will work great. Thanks Fraser!

anything else off of this.
attachment.php
and this 33" in 404. skip or full.

A member here is going to send an NOS 28" bar/chain for the project (contacted me after we talked). The lower cylinder shield and mounting screws from that saw (wraps around/behind/under the cylinder) would be much appreciated as well Fraser. I have the upper shield that sits on top of the engine. Do you have an inner bar plate/sheet metal shield that's in good shape? Looks like the one on the saw is rusted/chewed away pretty good.

NOS too pretty for the Old Girl?

285133d1363532580-1010-cap-2-jpg

View attachment 285133

285134d1363532584-1010-cap-jpg

View attachment 285134

PM your address!

-Andy

That would be SWEET Andy! It also pushes me to repaint everything. Now to figure out what paint to use. I'm going to find some of that VHT wrinkle finish paint for the black parts..............and will have to figure out who's oven to cook 'em in. My 'shop' toaster oven isn't big enough. Maybe I can do that at work.:D

You guys have really stepped up to help out. MUCH appreciated! Now I've just got to get a couple intake gaskets, a comp release valve, piston rings, and crank seals for the project (plus a few fasteners I'm sure). I'm off to the shop to tear this beast down and clean/inspect everything this afternoon.

Last edited:
Here's the Updated List:

-Rubber grip insert.

-Fuel line.

-Handlebar and mounting hardware. (coming from RandyMac)

-Gas cap. (coming from Andy)

-All AV buffers: Top front, top bumper, top rear, rear handle, bottom bumpers, and front/bottom mount. (coming from Fraser).

-Short chainbrake clutch cover with lever. (coming from RandyMac)

-Intake boot. (coming from Fraser)

-Some of the AV mounting hardware (some is there, but some is missing). (coming from Fraser)

-Lower cylinder shroud and mounting screws. (coming from Fraser)

-Bottom plate/brace. (coming from RandyMac)

-Muffler cover, reed, and reed stop. (coming from Fraser)

-Flywheel cover and starter housing. (arrived from Joey)

-Chainbrake parts. (arrived from Joey)

-Starter Screen. (coming from Fraser)

-Spike set.

-Crank Seals.

-Intake Gaskets.

-Comp release valve.

-Impulse line.

-Piston rings.

-Inner bar plate/shield.

CAM00210_zps5b3b76ea.jpg

Here you can see where the sheet metal inner bar plate/shield is rusted/chewed away below the bar pad.

Last edited:
Here's the Updated List:

-Rubber grip insert. Got one

-Fuel line.

-Handlebar and mounting hardware. (coming from RandyMac)

-Gas cap. (coming from Andy)

-All AV buffers: Top front, top bumper, top rear, rear handle, bottom bumpers, and front/bottom mount. (coming from Fraser).

-Short chainbrake clutch cover with lever. (coming from RandyMac)

-Intake boot. (coming from Fraser)

-Some of the AV mounting hardware (some is there, but some is missing). (coming from Fraser)

-Lower cylinder shroud and mounting screws. (coming from Fraser)

-Bottom plate/brace. (coming from RandyMac)

-Muffler cover, reed, and reed stop. (coming from Fraser)

-Flywheel cover and starter housing. (arrived from Joey)

-Chainbrake parts. (arrived from Joey)

-Starter Screen. (coming from Fraser)

-Spike set. that too

-Crank Seals.

-Intake Gaskets.

-Comp release valve. might have

-Impulse line.

-Piston rings.

-Inner bar plate/shield. got one

CAM00210_zps5b3b76ea.jpg

Here you can see where the sheet metal inner bar plate/shield is rusted/chewed away below the bar pad.

I have a nicer tank/handle and oil tank cover

I have a nicer tank/handle and oil tank cover

That's great Randy! Go ahead and send the tank/handle casting, oil tank cover, grip insert, spike set, and inner bar plate/shield along with the rest of the stuff. If you don't have a good comp release valve to spare I'll pick up a new one. You guys rock!
:clap:

I have one, not NOS but she'll do...I'll throw it in the box:msp_wink:

-Andy

Thanks a bunch Andy. Got the saw mostly torn down today. Took it down to the short block. Had to take a break from saw fun and cut an acre of rapidly growing weeds and brush around the homestead. Would have rather stayed in the shop working on the PM850.

Everything (except for the coils) is still soaking in diesel. Scrubbed most of the gunk off, but there's still some pitch that's softening. Exhumed several deceased spiders and other nasties from what was their final resting place. Will go back and scrub the rest of the gunk off and then tear down the short block. The AV mounts have seen better days. Glad that Fraser is sending new ones.

To those that have messed with the Phelon 2 piece electronic ignition on these saws.......is the plug wire removable/replaceable on the transformer? The plug wire on this ignition has a bite taken out of it about 1/2 way between the transformer and the plug cap.

CAM00212_zps84db2863.jpg

CAM00216_zps5b296858.jpg

CAM00214_zpsdf5eafdb.jpg

CAM00218_zps2f5e179b.jpg

CAM00228_zpsb422010a.jpg

CAM00224_zpsa2c3ff83.jpg

Last edited:
Quick Mcculloch Question.Did Mcculloch offer an oversize piston for the CP-70?I found a Supposed NOS Oversize piston for the CP-70 and 7-10a but mike Acres site says that the CP-70 and 7-10a both have a Chrome plated bore? Haven't had my friends CP70 apart as of yet to inspect.As always any help will be appreciated.:msp_thumbup:

Quick Mcculloch Question.Did Mcculloch offer an oversize piston for the CP-70?I found a Supposed NOS Oversize piston for the CP-70 and 7-10a but mike Acres site says that the CP-70 and 7-10a both have a Chrome plated bore? Haven't had my friends CP70 apart as of yet to inspect.As always any help will be appreciated.:msp_thumbup:

Some of the 7-10A's have boreable steel cylinder liners. There are at least a dozen different IPL's for 7-10A's, with some showing no oversized pistons (which means they have chromed bores) and others listing oversized pistons for the boreable cylinders. I'll bet some of the CP-70's have steel liners.

You can check your friend's cylinder by reaching in through the ex port with a small 'probe' magnet. If the magnet sticks to the cylinder wall, then you've got a steel liner. No stick...........................and you have a chromed bore.

That was a damn long vacation...but I managed to get some stuff done. Glad I got my saw deal through before I got time off...

Aaron, I have a spark arrestor screen that I pulled out of one of the 850's that I got shortly before the b... err, vacation.

Yeah, I said one of...

These have done a lot of cutting... may be able to get two runners out of the three... but one might need a new fuel tank/handle assembly. The other is starting to rot through the bottom and is probably a leaker.

attachment.php

You want it? pm me your address and I'll get it sent out. It looks to be a home fab project done years ago... a well done spark screen if you ask me.

Back