McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e10b.jpg

e10a.jpg

I suspect that is the starter/generator attached to the flywheel on that old Mac engine...

Thanks for the pictures, now I have an idea of how it looks and can visualize it working in my head.

Almost forgot to mention...

I learned something today...

I brought the original chain to a nearby shop to get a loop made... I thought it was .404" pitch.

Guess what... it ain't. It's 7/16" pitch, which as we all know, is obsolete, and probably deader than a dead horse that people keep beating with a stick. Hard to find much of any 7/16" stuff, from what I know. I haven't check fleabay yet on whether I'm right or not.

So... I am going to determine if the chain that I put on it with the stubby bar is .404" or 7/16" pitch... that will be done tomorrow. I have to find out since damage would probably occur (probably has... :bang:) if I were to keep running it with the wrong chain.

Mac 110 and 320 issues

Hey whats up guys,,, got a Mac 110 from a buddy in work to get running. Got it running but the carb adjustments are weird, I get it to idle, but sometimes will stall when going to WOT, even got WOT working good, just can't seem to get it in sinc??? My only thought is a carb kit or mabe crank seals?? Its around a 1980 model.

Also a Mac 320, this one I redid the carb with a Zama kit, but, can't get the adjustments right either, and somtimes she won't even idle, just runs erratic. Acts almost like an air leak.

Sorry guys but I hate these little Macs, I'll take my Poulan Micros and XXVs any day.lol:msp_tongue:

Hey whats up guys,,, got a Mac 110 from a buddy in work to get running. Got it running but the carb adjustments are weird, I get it to idle, but sometimes will stall when going to WOT, even got WOT working good, just can't seem to get it in sinc??? My only thought is a carb kit or mabe crank seals?? Its around a 1980 model.

Also a Mac 320, this one I redid the carb with a Zama kit, but, can't get the adjustments right either, and somtimes she won't even idle, just runs erratic. Acts almost like an air leak.

Sorry guys but I hate these little Macs, I'll take my Poulan Micros and XXVs any day.lol:msp_tongue:

From what I understand, any Mini Mac except for the earlier magnesium ones (I do not recall which models those are, but do remember Mark H showing us pictures of those early Mini Macs) suck donkey ####.

However, work your way up to the bigger Macs and you'll understand the term "Muscle saw"

From what I understand, any Mini Mac except for the earlier magnesium ones (I do not recall which models those are, but do remember Mark H showing us pictures of those early Mini Macs) suck donkey ####.

However, work your way up to the bigger Macs and you'll understand the term "Muscle saw"

Neither sawer is mine, both belong to coworkers, I happen to be known as the chainsaw guy in work so everyone wants me to fix their saw.

Could be either the carb needing a kit or crank seals... I had a Weedeater that did not run right no matter what... needs crank seals. Boxed it up and put it on the shelf. Apologies for not answering your question in the first time I quoted your post.

I did some checking (remember hearing me say something about 7/16" chain?) and it is not 7/16" I measured it from the center of one link pin to the center of the third pin (like the diagram at Madsen's shows) with my dial calipers and got .805" So that / 2 is .4025, which would mean .404" since they make them with a general spec range like everything else.

Also set the spurs on the clutch drums right up to each other and they are exactly the same in profile. Compared it to a known .404 spur drum off of the 1-76 donor.

So... I guess I need to bring the stuff in and show him. It may be that he wants to see the saw... guess I should bring it with me, eh?

Here are some pics... took the starter cover off and found minimal crud build up.

attachment.php

Looked at the cylinder fins and they are clean as can be.

attachment.php

The spur on the clutch drum has minimal wear. Probably could run out another chain or two on it before replacing it.

attachment.php

Then I noticed the clutch... see that shiny groove? I can't imagine that is normal. Anyone have any idea if it is?

attachment.php

I have to say, my first impression with the PM700, 28" Mac bar, Oregon chisel chain, I noodled a couple rounds of Douglas Fir, with at least 18" buried in the round.......ZIPPED through the round like BUTTA! I cannot believe this saw! It feels like it will outpower my 372XP! It was just after dusk when I was cutting with the saw, and there was a nice blue flame coming out the exhaust, very SWEET! The sound of the saw is very respectable. I wish there was a way to bring back the pro line of McCulloch saws. They are some great saws. I will continue my search for the elusive SP125 or 797. I know one will turn up sooner or later, my problem is I have been spoiled, since I have been able to happen on several freebies over the last 4 months.

If you like the little PM700, bump up to an 82cc version.
I got bit with "goldfever" when I lived in Alaska, but now I think I will be spending more time looking for the "other yellow metal" now! Believe me, I am impressed. I started in the woods in the late '70's with a Pro Mac 10-10A, and it was always a dependable piece of equipment, for some reason we gravitated to the Jonny Reds, (prolly the dealer), and never went back to the Mac's. I bought a 10-10 in Fairbanks from a sawshop used for $75.00 in like 1996, and had it till I ran it over with a cat by accident of course, and never gave much thought about the other RH start 10-10A I was given by a rental place in Naknek, till I started reading on this forum about the bigger McCullochs, and how they power through wood. This got my interest up, so I decided to clean up and get the 1010A going, which I did for about 10 bucks of parts, and I was duly impressed with it, all over again, after a diet of mostly swede saws for a lot of years. Now having been gifted this PM700, and getting it going for little of nothing, I am going to keep my eyes peeled, and post an APB to all of my peeps, to see if I can get into some of the bigger versions of the 10 series, as well as a 125. Would round out the stable really fine!
I am grateful to all you true believers on AS that have helped me once again see the light:rock::rock: Long live the old saws!

Mad Murdock, PM700s are great. I've had one since new - 30 years now. It is a true workhorse. If you love it, you'll love the 82cc MACs. They are racehorses with AV thrown in. If possible you should add one of these to your stable. It is amazing what 12ccs more can do. I don't have a tach but the 82cc MACs also seem to rev quite a bit higher than the 700. 125s are great saws as well, but if you do a lot of cutting you'll use the lighter MACs much more. 125s are easier to work on IMO. Enjoy. Ron

Awesome pics Randy! A 82cc Mac is on the top of the list right now. Have missed some decent deals here recently, but my search has had to go on the back burner. Been spending all my extra money on climbing gear. Still have more stuff to get, seems like working with saws is expensive:dizzy:. I would love to see them still available today, but would hate to see what the EPA would have done to them.

Back