McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron sorry to hear about your axe and the deal with those trees. I watched my dad beat roots to death with the maul that I had JUST spent time putting an edge on...:bang:

Bar got here last night. Looks great. Thanks again for all your help with this project. Are those loops .063G? I have a flywheel cover from Joey here and a lower cylinder shroud on the way from Fraser. Will put up another list when I'm back on the home computer. Not much left that isn't here or on the way.:cheers:

Not many boys here, but what are you looking to get for it?

Randy, Really no idea. Not sure if I should just raffle it off, or eBay it. It was a saw that Adam Clark built. Eric Copesy had it at his shop and had it running. He added a compression release to it because it was like pull starting a harley with all the compression. It was originally built to be a fund raiser saw and it has been sitting ever since. And it has been eating at me because I never did anything with it.

It has a pipe and a two piece head. Adam built a plastic intake block and the exhaust looks like it will fit on other saws.

Hi guys I have a saw for ya to identify.
View attachment 288116
It's a little dirty
View attachment 288117View attachment 288118View attachment 288119View attachment 288121
It is a saw that a friend picked up for me.

Thats quite a find. It is indeed a 101 motor.
The block #66019 is the earliest of the 101's.
Just a plain 101 made in 1967 Not and A, AA,
B, D, MC, etc.
The chassis doe's look like a 790. Get it running.
It will put a big smile on yo face.

Lee

just found a 10-10A at my "special little store", the salvage yard. as you can see its beyond filthy. got it to pull through but the rope wouldn't retract. when i took the covers off i saw why. that saw had never, ever been cleaned. every bit of oil impregnated dirt and sawdust ever moved by that saw was packed into every crevice. should have took pix but wasn't in the mood. took it to the car wash, picked the big stuff out, and pressure washed it. it cleaned up well but i did manage to almost obliterate the lettering on the top. duh!

looks like this thing sat in water for a good while. pretty good corrosion on the bottom of the starter cover and the bottom handle brace. the chain speaks for itself. the choke lever and the choke knob were both frozen (freed up now), the oil pump knob had been pulled out past the roll pin keepers (don't know how they did this but i haven't pulled the pin yet), the muffler only has the bottom half and not sure if it plugged, air filter is missing a little flocking but can prolly be fixed, fuel tank looks real clean, fuel line looks and feels good, once i got the starter cleaned and installed a new pull chord it seems to have decent compression. pulled the plug for a look see at the cylinder, what i could see looks okay. checked for spark but there wasn't any, big surprise.
this will never be a pristine saw but could be a decent runner and been wanting one for a while. but before i start acquiring and slapping parts on it i need to see if the ignition system components are okay and if i can get spark. i know how to make a determination on the points, condenser and coil. having read the service manual i see that it calls for a guide to place on the crank to set the engine timing before setting points gap.
anyone got a workaround on setting the timing since i don't have a guide (and don't think i ever will)?

OR i may just use it as a parts saw. plenty of good parts here.

sorry for the "book" here but thought i'd just "share".
preciate any help here guys.

newreply.php

newreply.php

newreply.php

newreply.php

Last edited:
Ron sorry to hear about your axe and the deal with those trees. I watched my dad beat roots to death with the maul that I had JUST spent time putting an edge on...:bang:

Bar got here last night. Looks great. Thanks again for all your help with this project. Are those loops .063G? I have a flywheel cover from Joey here and a lower cylinder shroud on the way from Fraser. Will put up another list when I'm back on the home computer. Not much left that isn't here or on the way.:cheers:

.063 gauge it is. Ron

Thats quite a find. It is indeed a 101 motor.
The block #66019 is the earliest of the 101's.
Just a plain 101 made in 1967 Not and A, AA,
B, D, MC, etc.
The chassis doe's look like a 790. Get it running.
It will put a big smile on yo face.

Lee

Thanks for the info guys!
I will tear into it this fall. I intend to turn it into a right hand exhaust. I can't get used to the feel as a lefty.
It was not a gift. But it was not overly expensive.
I am still buried in my super 250 project. It is getting new rings, crank brg's, and seals.
Thanks for the help.
Bill

I have just obtained a couple of V16 reed blocks NOS to either fit my dual 125c"s or my dual 101's i have four new tilly carbs on their way as well i have a friend from over your way cutting me new reeds
Should be a nice setup when i get it all together

maceng2_zpsfb642664.jpg

maceng1_zps51c25dc9.jpg

twin125b-1.jpg

101saw5.jpg

McBob.

Last edited:
Easter CAD

Several of the folks where I go to church know about my fascination with chainsaws. Okay, it's an OBSESSION. Anyway, one of the older fellas said he had a "junk" saw that was going to the scrap yard and asked if I would be interested. I asked what it was but he didn't know, promised to bring it some time for me to look at.

He showed up on Easter Sunday with these:

100_1470_zpsb0476eb4.jpg

100_1469_zpsa0b7d3ac.jpg

100_1471_zps57826692.jpg

100_1472_zps4de0f7f5.jpg

Yup, I'm interested. What's the story? He says the 170 wouldn't start when he tried it in '04, the little Mac wouldn't start when he tried it in '06 or '07, and the 610 didn't oil correctly when he put it away 2 or 3 years ago. All had good compression and spark. I asked how much?

He told me I could have them for the labor of unloading them from the back of his car. I offered to pay a couple more times, offered to sharpen chains, tune up his other saws, whatever. He said he'd rather have someone get some use out of the "junk parts" instead of putting them in the dumpster.

A nice Easter Sunday for me!

First post

I have been lurking here daily for well over a year. Have learned a lot and caught quite a case of yellow fever! My son and I went out after work today to test out the PM700 I just finished up with a new 28" bar. It's on a big round I cut with it along with his 10-10 he and I built from parts about a year and a half ago. Both ran excellent. Some others in the yellow fleet came along too,View attachment 288238View attachment 288239 but didn't get to play today.

If you decide not to keep the pipe I may be interested, I have a 101AA that needs to be fit into a chainsaw chassis and will have to be fit with a pipe.

Mark

Mark
I plan to use it. But if I change my mind I will let you know.
Bill

just found a 10-10A at my "special little store", the salvage yard. as you can see its beyond filthy. got it to pull through but the rope wouldn't retract. when i took the covers off i saw why. that saw had never, ever been cleaned. every bit of oil impregnated dirt and sawdust ever moved by that saw was packed into every crevice. should have took pix but wasn't in the mood. took it to the car wash, picked the big stuff out, and pressure washed it. it cleaned up well but i did manage to almost obliterate the lettering on the top. duh!

looks like this thing sat in water for a good while. pretty good corrosion on the bottom of the starter cover and the bottom handle brace. the chain speaks for itself. the choke lever and the choke knob were both frozen (freed up now), the oil pump knob had been pulled out past the roll pin keepers (don't know how they did this but i haven't pulled the pin yet), the muffler only has the bottom half and not sure if it plugged, air filter is missing a little flocking but can prolly be fixed, fuel tank looks real clean, fuel line looks and feels good, once i got the starter cleaned and installed a new pull chord it seems to have decent compression. pulled the plug for a look see at the cylinder, what i could see looks okay. checked for spark but there wasn't any, big surprise.
this will never be a pristine saw but could be a decent runner and been wanting one for a while. but before i start acquiring and slapping parts on it i need to see if the ignition system components are okay and if i can get spark...
newreply.php

newreply.php

newreply.php

newreply.php

Points are good, condenser is good, coil sucks. Anyone got a coil for a 10-10A, model 600002U? Will also need some other parts if I can get this to run. Thanks, jerry

this will never be a pristine saw but could be a decent runner and been wanting one for a while. but before i start acquiring and slapping parts on it i need to see if the ignition system components are okay and if i can get spark...

Okay. Points are good, condenser tests okay, coil is open. Anyone got a coil for a 10-10A model 600002U. Also will be looking for other parts later on if I get this to run - bar plates and sawdust guard (the plastic thing on the starter), air filter

Last edited:
Jerry - It is very possibly just the high tension lead. You can remove the old lead by "unscrewing" it from the stud in the coil and install a new lead. Often the wire will twist off flush, but with a little effort you can clean it out and get a meter on the stud to see when the problem actually is. I actually made a hollow bit from a spring pin to allow me to drill out the broken off wire.

Mark

Latest posts

Back