McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tried that and it didnt work. any other suggestions or should i just try it again? kinda scared to break it like you said.

While it's idling with the AF cover and element off, try rotating the throttle arm against the idle speed screw. If the speed drops, then you need to tweak that rod a bit more. If that's not it, you have an air leak somewhere.

tried that and it didnt work. any other suggestions or should i just try it again? kinda scared to break it like you said.

While it's idling with the AF cover and element off, try rotating the throttle arm against the idle speed screw. If the speed drops, then you need to tweak that rod a bit more. If that's not it, you have an air leak somewhere.
If there's significant movement when you rotate the throttle arm it could maybe be a gunked up throttle shaft or weak/broken spring keeping it from returning to home position

Eccentric said:
tried one more time your method and seems to have worked
Thanks

So I picked up a 77 off CL over a month ago and finally had sometime to work on it. The recoil was disassembled when I got it,so this week I compared the IPL with what I had to see whats missing.
19549(spring starter clutch) 19568(starter clutch washer), 24488(keyed washer), 101795(snapring).
Since I have a parts 3-25 I checked that IPL and find that the recoil assembly and parts match the 77 per mcculloch part number. However when I go swap parts I find they are both different. The taller recoil housing is from the 77 in the pic. So now Im not sure what to do. I want to keep the saw as original as possible. Is the recoil that I have wrong for the 77? Or is the 3-25 simply not compatable with the 77?
IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0815.JPG

Chase

People say milling is the hardest type of cutting on a saw and that all but the strongest of power heads can handle it so I threw my McCulloch 200 in my mill and milled some slabs.
The cuts were nowhere near as fast as a modern high speed saw but it kept on chugging and the slabs came out quite nice.
8f63693cc48900cd535428a37caa1df4.jpg

63462ff9152d36a9fef2e260ce8ac7be.jpg

McCulloch 200
ProMac 700
ProMac 55
Stihl MS250
Husky 235

Amongst many other things, yes. I don't plan on making it a habit. I'm waiting on my new milling saw to come in so i figured I'd have some fun in the meantime, the fun factor wore off quickly.

McCulloch 200
ProMac 700
ProMac 55
Stihl MS250
Husky 235

Finally got a BP1. It is one of 2 my Uncle owned. They are both "Johny Cash" saws. He was the service manager for a McCulloch distributor. When the saws were recalled, he took parts off each one they sent back and was able to build 2. He died in 2001 and the family decided to let one go. It runs great. I have run it at the show in Baraboo and at West Bend when there was a contest there. He used to compete with them in the 70's at local contests and was never beat. I think one of them won at West bend too. image.jpg

That's great Scott, we should have four BP-1s at Baraboo this year if James and Alan both bring theirs.

I plan to install the original chain on mine with the auto sharp.

Mark
Both of these were converted to .375. That will be great to have that many in one place!

So I picked up a 77 off CL over a month ago and finally had sometime to work on it. The recoil was disassembled when I got it,so this week I compared the IPL with what I had to see whats missing.
19549(spring starter clutch) 19568(starter clutch washer), 24488(keyed washer), 101795(snapring).
Since I have a parts 3-25 I checked that IPL and find that the recoil assembly and parts match the 77 per mcculloch part number. However when I go swap parts I find they are both different. The taller recoil housing is from the 77 in the pic. So now Im not sure what to do. I want to keep the saw as original as possible. Is the recoil that I have wrong for the 77? Or is the 3-25 simply not compatable with the 77?
View attachment 403355 View attachment 403356 View attachment 403357

Chase
Lucky you... I been hunting for awhile now With with not much luck. Did find one in Colorado but it's seized up hard and missing the lid and a few other things. I'll find one sooner or later. At least I have a good running 73 on hand. Heavy powerful saws. I really like running my 73 it's a beast.

Nick

Back