McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have my dates worked out, Robert McCulloch was building the 2, 4, and 6 cylinder drone engines as well as engines for Reed Prentice (saws) before he started building his own brand of chainsaws. Then...McCulloch - Black & Decker - Shop Vac - Employees - Jen Feng (other than Europe)/Husqvarna (Europe) - Husqvarna world wide.

According to a quick search, 72 In³ / 72 HP...

IMG_0193.JPG

Mark

Mark

I'm sure you're right about McCulloch, I was just trying to get things moving around here. I know that I also left out that McCulloch was McCulloch untill October, 1974. I also made a mental note that you and I are, mostly, alone over here.McC1-52_08921.JPG
I do own a McCulloch chainsaw or two, as Mark knows.

ODW

Mark

I'm sure you're right about McCulloch, I was just trying to get things moving around here. I know that I also left out that McCulloch was McCulloch untill October, 1974. I also made a mental note that you and I are, mostly, alone over here.View attachment 425677
I do own a McCulloch chainsaw or two, as Mark knows.

ODW

Maybe alone but, appreciated.

I recently traded for a 795L, not a strong runner as the compression is a bit weak but it does start and run nicely. Sorry, photos are on the other computer.

Here is my 795 that I cleaned up and got running a few years ago.

McCulloch 795 2.JPG

And here is the 740 that I cleaned up and put together back in the early days of my collecting. I still like the look and feel of this one but starting it is problematic and my poor right arm is not up to the task so much anymore.

McCulloch 740 1.jpg

Some character hauling my 1-76 around even before I got to touch it.

RandyMac%20Being%20unsafe0001.JPG

Mark

I just got the SDC carb'd 101b back together tonight. All that is left is to cut down the air cleaner stud and finish the upper part of the fuel line. 20150521_225950.jpg Oh yea, the trottle linkage is being difficult so that will have to be done better. However I will try to at least light it tomorrow. The thing has massive compression even with the decomp open.
20150521_224800.jpg 20150521_224728.jpg 20150521_224653.jpg

The 10 Series carburetors (Walbro SDC, Tillotson HS, Zama C2) can all be set initially at 1-1/2 on L and 1-1/4 on the H. At that point it should start and run and you can make the final adjustments as you go.

The GEM muffler would likely need to be modified by drilling out the mounting holes, the kart engines have the 10-24 inserts for the muffler, the SP105/125 had 5/16" tapped holes for the muffler bolts.

Mark

Will that "GEM" muffler also fit the 125?

That GEM thing is more of a box. It isn't a muffler, but does dump nicely out of the bottom. I can't say for sure but don't think it will fit an sp125. It will fit the older style saws like the cp125, 790, 797, and most of that series round muffler saws.

Well the 101b popped once but is now flooded. And while it didn't rip the cord from my hand, I am thinking it may need a condensor as well. Amazingly with that big BDC, the stock 125 air filter almost fits.

Does anyone have the black metal part of the chain brake arm from a Pm610/650? Fixing one up for a friend and the top part of the metal hole is broke.

Will that "GEM" muffler also fit the 125?

The 125 doesn't have the recessed port like the karts or older saws. I have one of the smaller GEMs with the removable screen baffle on a 125C. It sticks out a ways and has branded my chaps more than once when it brushed my leg as I was lugging the saw around. You can see the muffler outline just above and to the right of the burn through. It does blow the chips away from you.

IMG_2780-001.JPG IMG_2390-1.JPG IMG_2347-1.JPG IMG_2349-1.JPG

Ron

Does anyone have the black metal part of the chain brake arm from a Pm610/650? Fixing one up for a friend and the top part of the metal hole is broke.
I may have one Brian. Just picked up a parts saw the other day with some other stuff, but can't remember what it's missing other than filter cover. I'll let you know when i get home...

Well I just got the 101b to light. A squirt that will run a 125, sdc101, or 895 for 5 - 10 seconds will only run this saw for 3 seconds. the trick is to hold the throttle wide open as Lee said, and pull the decomp out till you feel it up on compression, push the decomp in and drop start it for all you are worth.

Back