McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lucky,my pristine model 99 two man saw came with 10" auger & gear box,central CA barn find in Oct 2016.Took a while to find the regular transmission (have 1 complete,2 partial & some extra parts now) plus a 48" fatbelly bar/chain & stinger handle afterwards though.

First one I seen for sale with the gear box & auger only,looks like it never had a bar/chain on it until I paired them up.

Well, a buddy of mine called me tonight, the power company y took down a tree in front of his house that he is gonna keep for firewood. I haven't seen it myself but nobody around here has a saw that will touch it. Apparently it is a 3 footer. Looks like it will be a yellow saw show either this weekend or next. Vintage McCulloch to the rescue.
3f22afb38e50b30e5c186e6fc1eb415a.jpg

Kevin - keep pumping oil all the while you are cutting, you should run out of bar oil long before you run out of gas if you are keeping that bar and chain properly lubricated.

Follow up to my post 29020 - I've been working on the SE2014 Mini Mac off and on, like most Mini Mac projects you get lots of practice taking it apart and putting it back together... I thought I was really making progress tonight and ready to finish it off when I discovered the idle speed adjust screw was broken off in the carburetor. Sooo, take it all apart one more time and change the carburetor for one that will work properly. I won't go into detail about how I spent a day and a half trying to make the Zama M7 carburetor work with Walbro MDC gaskets and diaphragms when it finally dawned on me I had the correct Zama parts in another drawer.

In the mean time, I acquired a surface grinder this week (a well used unit); actually it was purchased by the local lumber yard where they manufacture surveying stakes primarily from 2x4 material and have a "hubber" to put points on the 2x2 stakes. The hubber uses a pair of 3-1/2" planer blades that need frequent sharpening and I will be taking over the job of grinding them. I will need to find a decent magnetic chuck to use with it as well to expand the versatility.

20180711_090644.jpg

20180712_204554.jpg

20180712_204602.jpg

Mark

Kevin - keep pumping oil all the while you are cutting, you should run out of bar oil long before you run out of gas if you are keeping that bar and chain properly lubricated.

Follow up to my post 29020 - I've been working on the SE2014 Mini Mac off and on, like most Mini Mac projects you get lots of practice taking it apart and putting it back together... I thought I was really making progress tonight and ready to finish it off when I discovered the idle speed adjust screw was broken off in the carburetor. Sooo, take it all apart one more time and change the carburetor for one that will work properly. I won't go into detail about how I spent a day and a half trying to make the Zama M7 carburetor work with Walbro MDC gaskets and diaphragms when it finally dawned on me I had the correct Zama parts in another drawer.

In the mean time, I acquired a surface grinder this week (a well used unit); actually it was purchased by the local lumber yard where they manufacture surveying stakes primarily from 2x4 material and have a "hubber" to put points on the 2x2 stakes. The hubber uses a pair of 3-1/2" planer blades that need frequent sharpening and I will be taking over the job of grinding them. I will need to find a decent magnetic chuck to use with it as well to expand the versatility.

View attachment 662706

View attachment 662707

View attachment 662708

Mark

Good stuff Mark!

Hey fellas,
Hope all is well, I am wrapping up my 10-10 restore and I have not been able to get a hold of Joe with sugar creek supply for decals to be made. I was able to contact him back in the spring and he did respond saying that he was backed up and would not be able to get around to my decals until late June early July. I emailed him on July 2nd asking how things were going but have not heard back from him. Do y'all know of any other place that deals with making these old mcculloch decals? Or does anybody have any other way to contact Joe? Thanks for y'alls help

Scott

Direct (but polite) pestering is the best way to get a response from Joe. Whatever you do, resist the temptation to order his stuff through Chainsawr when the items are listed as 'ready to ship'. They aren't. It will simply add cost and additional delay to whatever you order and probably require you to contact Joe directly for one reason or another anyway..., especially if you encounter a problem or have a question about your order. Chainsawr just punts to Joe under such circumstances and is no help whatsoever. Been there, done that.

If you have any decent reference images for the decals you want, you may be able to find a capable shop locally who can replicate them in vinyl for you.

Ok, I've had enough with this flatback carb in my 440. I've put way too much time and money into this at this point and it still will not run right. I've literally eliminated every other possibility and keep coming back to the carb.
So at this point, I would like to switch it over to a Tillotson. I believe the appropriate one would be an HL 63 variant. Not sure if I need an adapter or not. Can anyone help out with a serviceable carb?
Thanks.

On a different note---if an old Mac has a 650 slashed out with a number over it not readable on the bottom of the saw what might it be?

Very likely a 300, I have one or two saws on hand with both stamps. The 300 and 650 shared the same block so an engine could have gone to either saw. In any case it will be an 87cc model; Mike Acres site has it wrong when he identifies the 300 as 80 cc.

IMG_4889.JPG

Mark

Didn't get the memo so I took the PM800 out for a little spin today with a fresh full comp .404 semi-chisel. All ready cured oak on state property. Nice steady cutting. Probably would have done better with a summer tune but tuning is just another, among many, chainsaw tasks I am not very good at doing. Before I finished I learned that we had been instructed to hold up pending Nashville approval of our insurance and other paperwork. Oh well, you can't uncut a tree. Some really nice larger trees to come. Hopefully, Brian and I can get in on them. And he can tune my saw.

25" bar - seems to be the ideal length for the PM800 with the .404 in what I cut. Much longer would require more finesse. Any shorter then why bother with a PM800.

IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3186.JPG

Lost the long plastic cap off the DSP - I will just live without it.
Ron

2 broke - the body length of the Walbro MAC and Tillotson HL carburetors are different, as well as the location of the impulse port to drive the fuel pump. You always need an adapter with the Tillotson to make sure everything lines up on the front tank saws but the top tank saws don't use the adapter since the access to the H/L adjust screws is the larger knock out window and the air filter cover mount is independent.

Additionally, the design of the MAC carburetor will accommodate the impulse port in either location but the Tillotson must have the correct location of the impulse port or use an adapter.

Walbro MAC carburetor on the left, Tillotson HL on the right. Notice the impulse port on the MAC runs from 7:00 to 8:00, the impulse port on the HL is 7:00 only.

20180714_183402.jpg

The impulse port on the top tank saws is a match to the Tillotson, but works with the MAC due to the long port on the MAC carburetor.

20180714_183501.jpg

The impulse port on the front tank saws is more like 8:00 so you need the adapter to make the Tillotson work. This airbox is actually on a 1-6X saw which is ostensibly a top tank model, but the airbox with the carburetor flange is shared with the front tank models.

20180714_183519.jpg

Mark

And here are some photos of the SE2014 Mini Mac all cleaned up, new seals, different carburetor, and ready to go.

20180714_092807.jpg

20180714_092822.jpg

20180714_092829.jpg

20180714_092910.jpg

So far I have the SE3420 (57 cc 600 Series), SE2000 (32 cc Plastic Mac), and this SE2014. I am still looking for an SE3720 (60 cc version of the 600 Series) and an SE2818 or 3020 which are the vertical cylinder plastic Mac models.

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

DSC01416.JPG

Mark

So no adapter needed on the 440 if I'm understanding right. You dont have a carb kicking around per chance do you Mark?

Well, a buddy of mine called me tonight, the power company y took down a tree in front of his house that he is gonna keep for firewood. I haven't seen it myself but nobody around here has a saw that will touch it. Apparently it is a 3 footer. Looks like it will be a yellow saw show either this weekend or next. Vintage McCulloch to the rescue.
3f22afb38e50b30e5c186e6fc1eb415a.jpg
Got the deed done today, the 380 performed flawlessly.
3d5f6604ed8a1499ef192dc618833b52.jpg
334fb723e00aed83bcfda0f05390774b.jpg

Latest posts

Back