McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys so I’ve been thinking ever since I posted about sticking with a 40:1 mix for my Mac I realized I never got yall’s feedback on what the best two stroke brand of oil is. What do y’all recommend? Money is not a factor, I want to use the best in my saws so that they last a good long while. Let me know what y’all think guys
Scott

Hey guys so I’ve been thinking ever since I posted about sticking with a 40:1 mix for my Mac I realized I never got yall’s feedback on what the best two stroke brand of oil is. What do y’all recommend? Money is not a factor, I want to use the best in my saws so that they last a good long while. Let me know what y’all think guys
Scott
I'd recommend Amsoil,you can run it 80:1 & it won't hurt a thing,but if you want to run it a bit richer that's good too.IMHO it's the best money can buy.
Ed

Haha there will be millions near you Ed.

Scott any 2 good synthetic 2 stroke will be more than good pic a colour and go with it. I like motul 800 it's a 2stroke motocross bike oil and smells like strawberries unburned and really really nice when burnt like really nice. I'll start up a 2banger mower or saw in the shed and keep the door shut Haha yummy yum yum

Haha there will be millions near you Ed.

Scott any 2 good synthetic 2 stroke will be more than good pic a colour and go with it. I like mogul 800 it's a 2stroke motocross bike oil and smells like strawberries unburned and really really nice when burnt like really nice. I'll start up a 2banger mower or saw in the shed and keep the door shut Haha yummy yum yum
You know that by keeping the door closed while running any engine can give you drain bamage,err um brain damage.Lol

Lol that must be what's wrong with me
After cutting i clean my saw with straight gas in a non ventilated room.possible brain damage for me too?you get a little dizzy but its nice.less beers to drink after.lol
I cleaned the cylider wlth wet sand paper 320 and a green scotch brite as i have seen in a member's video but i do not know if it became better or worst.First time for everything as i say.This is the picture after cleaning.can you make an estimation on the damage l did?lol
And i have been reading that the ports should be bevelled lnside the cylinder.mine look like this.There is plating above the port.Need to bevel them?Another first time i think.poor cylider.lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190201_230221.jpg
    IMG_20190201_230221.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20190201_230157.jpg
    IMG_20190201_230157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190201_231335.jpg
    IMG_20190201_231335.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I know how to test a COIL with an ohmeter,but what I have on the PM310 is an IGNITION MODULE,there is a difference between the two.A COIL needs points & condenser,an IGNITION MODULE eliminates the points & condenser.I'm not even sure that the IGNITION MODULE can even be tested.Unfortunately there are no specs listed for the IGNITION MODULE that I'm aware of.I appreciate your input Jim.
Ed

I know how to test a COIL with an ohmeter,but what I have on the PM310 is an IGNITION MODULE,there is a difference between the two.A COIL needs points & condenser,an IGNITION MODULE eliminates the points & condenser.I'm not even sure that the IGNITION MODULE can even be tested.Unfortunately there are no specs listed for the IGNITION MODULE that I'm aware of.I appreciate your input Jim.
Ed
Maybe you could test it with a spark tester.you can easily make your own or buy one.

I tested it by taking the plug out,putting it back in the plug boot,& thern grounding the plug to the muffler while pulling the recoil,The result was no spark.It could be one of 3 possibilities - the wires could be worn through & grounding out,the switch could be bad,or the coil is no good.
Ed

I tested it by taking the plug out,putting it back in the plug boot,& thern grounding the plug to the muffler while pulling the recoil,The result was no spark.It could be one of 3 possibilities - the wires could be worn through & grounding out,the switch could be bad,or the coil is no good.
Ed
Unplug the wire coming from the switch to the coil and test.The spark plug grounded on the chasis.If the coil is ok it wiill spark and the promblem is the wire from the switch or the switch.if you test it and the spark plug is on the cylinder(chain brake on or remove the chain for safety ) if the coil is ok the saw will run and you can not stop it from the switch.you chock it or you ground the coil to stop it.

Scott, I’ve been using still ultra for several years with no ill effects in all my old saws and new saws. I do mix 32:1 old saws and 50:1 new saws. I have zero issues with fouling plugs or excess carbon in either. Is it the “best” I dont know. But it’s available local to me so I use it.

I run 32 to 1 in my 82cc MACs and a ported off brand saw. I run 40 to 1 in all my other two-strokes, including my more modern off brand saws. Years ago, I switched to Stihl Ultra for the same reason as you with the same results. Then I came across a bargain on Dolmar branded synthetic and bought a full case. I wish I have bought two cases. Maybe it is just the blue color, but I swear my saws seen to run better on it. Anyway none of my saws look anything like the carbon crusted condition most of them were in when I acquired them nor do they visibly smoke. I'm sure a lot of the carbon and smoke was likely from ingested bar oil, but I don't really know.

Ron

Ed

might not get best ground thru muff.

I run 32 to 1 in my 82cc MACs and a ported off brand saw. I run 40 to 1 in all my other two-strokes, including my more modern off brand saws. Years ago, I switched to Stihl Ultra for the same reason as you with the same results. Then I came across a bargain on Dolmar branded synthetic and bought a full case. I wish I have bought two cases. Maybe it is just the blue color, but I swear my saws seen to run better on it. Anyway none of my saws look anything like the carbon crusted condition most of them were in when I acquired them nor do they visibly smoke. I'm sure a lot of the carbon and smoke was likely from ingested bar oil, but I don't really know.

Ron

That's the beauty of synthetic oils no more build up and smokeless

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

It is a beautiful clear day here with temperatures rising from the low 30s to the mid 50s. Brian is trying to mend from the respiratory bugs that are circulating, so I cut alone today. About 15 to 20 more Ash trees on the ground and only one left - a big ugly triple headed beast that wants to cross the property line. Today's trees went from one end of the property to the other as they had been left because each posed some threat of harm to fences, save trees or neighboring yards. Lot of wedging, but everything went well with just enough challenges to make it interesting.

I couldn't find a vantage point to photograph the setting so I took several which collectively show 75% or so of today's work.

IMG_4116.JPG IMG_4118.JPG IMG_4123.JPG IMG_4126.JPG

One of the more challenging. Double stem with both overhanging the fence.
IMG_4122.JPG

Posed shot of the biggest of the day.
IMG_4133.JPG

Small one, but last of the day. Leaning towards public road. Wedged it over after boring a thorough slot for the wedge.
IMG_4120.JPG

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

It is a beautiful clear day here with temperatures rising from the low 30s to the mid 50s. Brian is trying to mend from the respiratory bugs that are circulating, so I cut alone today. About 15 to 20 more Ash trees on the ground and only one left - a big ugly triple headed beast that wants to cross the property line. Today's trees went from one end of the property to the other as they had been left because each posed some threat of harm to fences, save trees or neighboring yards. Lot of wedging, but everything went well with just enough challenges to make it interesting.

I couldn't find a vantage point to photograph the setting so I took several which collectively show 75% or so of today's work.

View attachment 701368 View attachment 701369 View attachment 701371 View attachment 701372

One of the more challenging. Double stem with both overhanging the fence.
View attachment 701370

Posed shot of the biggest of the day.
View attachment 701375

Small one, but last of the day. Leaning towards public road. Wedged it over after boring a thorough slot for the wedge.
View attachment 701376

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Nice Ron really enjoy the Sunday morning read of you and Brian's adventures I still chuckle everytime at the closing line at the bottom.

Back