McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some cutting today, ran a few saws. The 7-10 and PM55 both performed flawlessly. The 5-10 still has an ignition issue. I made 2 cuts with it, it was too rich, I paused to tune it and while I was tuning it, it just shut off. I checked and had no spark. Have not looked into it any further. I replaced the coil and flywheel with known good and installed a new ignition module in place of the points. Thinking at this point it must be the kill switch...... unless the module died prematurely, but I've had good luck with them thus far.
Also ran the 1-43 I picked up yesterday. It ran strong but what a dog of a saw, definitely detuned from the other front tank saws I've run lol. I rocked the chain on that one🤬. It was a brand new, never filed, Oregon chipper chain. Anyone have tips on filing this round tooth chipper chain? I always struggle with it. I can file a full chisel razor sharp but just can't seem to get chipper chain for some reason.

30° degree angle, but its important to keep the file perfectly flat(aka 90°) to the bar. You don't want to tip the file .

I have been finding a few interesting items as I continue to work my way through the Discount Marine parts inventory.

I found a few more 84954 air filters for the SP60/80 models with the cold weather set up, these are a fine brass mess rather than the flocked filters. Certainly these are not widely available but were produced in some quantities for the cold weather models.

This one is pretty special, the cold weather / fine brass mesh type for the rigid PM style saws.

View attachment 1000873

This is also a fairly limited production part, the cold weather ducted muffler for the CP125 model saws.

View attachment 1000874

These parts are used on the 2-10PS models, the grinder set up used with the old .404 auto-sharp chain.

View attachment 1000876

I have also uncovered a few more tools McCulloch supplied for special tasks. This is part of the kit supplied for pressure/vacuum testing the PM6 model saws.

View attachment 1000877

This is the full kit less the rubber parts - gaskets and a green stopper with a hole through it.

View attachment 1000878

This one is used to support the piston bosses when pressing the wrist pin bearings out.

View attachment 1000879

These were used when pressing the wrist pin and bearings in and out of the piston on the PM6 saws, there is a very similar set up for the Mini Mac models.

View attachment 1000890

View attachment 1000892

View attachment 1000893

I have several of the support blocks as well.

And finally for those of you that have been patient enough to read through the entire post...can anyone beside Vinny I.D. this:

View attachment 1000894

Mark
Thats funny, anyone but me! Lol. It is recently familiar to me.

And finally for those of you that have been patient enough to read through the entire post...can anyone beside Vinny I.D. this:

20220704_171211.jpg
I’m thinking a 2-10PS.

I have been finding a few interesting items as I continue to work my way through the Discount Marine parts inventory.

I found a few more 84954 air filters for the SP60/80 models with the cold weather set up, these are a fine brass mess rather than the flocked filters. Certainly these are not widely available but were produced in some quantities for the cold weather models.

This one is pretty special, the cold weather / fine brass mesh type for the rigid PM style saws.

View attachment 1000873

This is also a fairly limited production part, the cold weather ducted muffler for the CP125 model saws.

View attachment 1000874

These parts are used on the 2-10PS models, the grinder set up used with the old .404 auto-sharp chain.

View attachment 1000876

I have also uncovered a few more tools McCulloch supplied for special tasks. This is part of the kit supplied for pressure/vacuum testing the PM6 model saws.

View attachment 1000877

This is the full kit less the rubber parts - gaskets and a green stopper with a hole through it.

View attachment 1000878

This one is used to support the piston bosses when pressing the wrist pin bearings out.

View attachment 1000879

These were used when pressing the wrist pin and bearings in and out of the piston on the PM6 saws, there is a very similar set up for the Mini Mac models.

View attachment 1000890

View attachment 1000892

View attachment 1000893

I have several of the support blocks as well.

View attachment 1000894

Mark
G-70

So in my recent saw repairs a friend of mine bought a g-70 and it would not run. Sent it to me and i took it apart and found that there was actually very little chrome in the cylinder. Ive not seen one lose that much chrome. Anyway, it needed a cylinder. He sent me a 7-10 to use and found it to be rather scored as well. It would have run but he wanted better. I sourced a cylinder for it. Its back together and runs very well. But in marks mystery cylinder question i wanted to share what i found as far as the differences between a 7-10/700 and the g-70 cylinder. I really poured over them closely and there is only 1 difference in the cylinders. They use the same trsnsfers, piston, screws, shrouds, coils etc. But theres 1 difference. Its the thickness of the casting on the pto side. On a g70 its much thinner. Attached a picture to show that difference. This is cylinder only. The oil tank is very different and unique but the cylinder has only one difference.20220701_132657.jpg
The g70 is on the right. A 7-10 is on the left. The needle bearing thats in the aluminum cylinder that fits there hangs out further on the g70 to accomodate the gear box seal. Thats it. If i can find a picture of his chrome lost cylinder ill post it.

So in my recent saw repairs a friend of mine bought a g-70 and it would not run. Sent it to me and i took it apart and found that there was actually very little chrome in the cylinder. Ive not seen one lose that much chrome. Anyway, it needed a cylinder. He sent me a 7-10 to use and found it to be rather scored as well. It would have run but he wanted better. I sourced a cylinder for it. Its back together and runs very well. But in marks mystery cylinder question i wanted to share what i found as far as the differences between a 7-10/700 and the g-70 cylinder. I really poured over them closely and there is only 1 difference in the cylinders. They use the same trsnsfers, piston, screws, shrouds, coils etc. But theres 1 difference. Its the thickness of the casting on the pto side. On a g70 its much thinner. Attached a picture to show that difference. This is cylinder only. The oil tank is very different and unique but the cylinder has only one difference.View attachment 1001200
The g70 is on the right. A 7-10 is on the left. The needle bearing thats in the aluminum cylinder that fits there hangs out further on the g70 to accomodate the gear box seal. Thats it. If i can find a picture of his chrome lost cylinder ill post it.
It looks like it has been cut away on the thin one so a 7-10 could be made to work??

So in my recent saw repairs a friend of mine bought a g-70 and it would not run. Sent it to me and i took it apart and found that there was actually very little chrome in the cylinder. Ive not seen one lose that much chrome. Anyway, it needed a cylinder. He sent me a 7-10 to use and found it to be rather scored as well. It would have run but he wanted better. I sourced a cylinder for it. Its back together and runs very well. But in marks mystery cylinder question i wanted to share what i found as far as the differences between a 7-10/700 and the g-70 cylinder. I really poured over them closely and there is only 1 difference in the cylinders. They use the same trsnsfers, piston, screws, shrouds, coils etc. But theres 1 difference. Its the thickness of the casting on the pto side. On a g70 its much thinner. Attached a picture to show that difference. This is cylinder only. The oil tank is very different and unique but the cylinder has only one difference.View attachment 1001200

I noticed that both cylinders have a divided port, I do have a 7-10 with the open port arrangement.

It looks like it has been cut away on the thin one so a 7-10 could be made to work??
Yes a 7-10/700 in fact can work. It just has to be thinned down. An oscilating belt sander and careful meadurement along with patience will take care of it. I did that exact thing on my own g70 earlier this year. Took a 7-10 and made a g70 cylinder. Works perfect. The oil tank is a direct bolt on.

Well, late last year I grew tired with Macs (as well as other brands) and sold off most of my extra stuff, including all my Macs and Mac stuff, figuring that once I finished restoring my uncle's 10-10 for him I'd be done with Macs forever. Fast forward to this morning, I was doing an evaluation at a guy's house when I noticed an old Mac sitting outside next to his shop. It was faded, missing the filter lid, filter, and muffler face but I figured I'd see why he had it (and if he'd sell it). "Oh, I was planning on mounting my mailbox to it. Why? Do you want it?" $10 later I have a Mac 640 that turns over smoothly, pumps oil, and will need the water drained out of the gas tank. Not the 797 I hoped it was, but still a pretty cool saw.
IMG_1024.JPGIMG_1025.JPG

Well, late last year I grew tired with Macs (as well as other brands) and sold off most of my extra stuff, including all my Macs and Mac stuff, figuring that once I finished restoring my uncle's 10-10 for him I'd be done with Macs forever. Fast forward to this morning, I was doing an evaluation at a guy's house when I noticed an old Mac sitting outside next to his shop. It was faded, missing the filter lid, filter, and muffler face but I figured I'd see why he had it (and if he'd sell it). "Oh, I was planning on mounting my mailbox to it. Why? Do you want it?" $10 later I have a Mac 640 that turns over smoothly, pumps oil, and will need the water drained out of the gas tank. Not the 797 I hoped it was, but still a pretty cool saw.
View attachment 1001242View attachment 1001243
Nice H & S dog on it, auto oiler too.

Back