McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got the 5-10 running,but only after more trouble.I put the SDC18 carb on & put fuel in it.It didn't really want to fire up.I can understand that the diaphragms were all dry from sitting for who knows how many yrs.Finally it started running & then it'd cut out.I suspected it was a bad coil wire & after I pulled the FW cover off my suspicions were well founded.The coil wire was run on the outside of the saw & had been pinched at one time by the FW cover,which I think severed the wires inside the insulation.I put a different coil on & it runs like a champ now.

I also had a small problem with it not wanting to idle,even with the idle screw turned in all the way (probably not the correct idle screw).I took a small piece of fuel line & worked it onto the idle screw & now it idles just fine.I gave up on trying to put the adjuster needle extensions back in the carb.Apparently the Mac tards thought everyone who worked on saws had more than 2 hands.As it is there are 2 linkages to deal with while lining up the carb's bolt holes & hope the carb mounting gasket stays on the bolts too.I was told yrs.ago not to use any kind of "glue" to hold those gaskets in place as it may get sucked into the carb & cause even more issues.

I was supposed to get the new B&C today,but now UPS is telling me I'll get it on Fri.I hope to post pics by Sat.
Try a little grease. Gives you a head start. Just sayin

I got the 24 in.Oregon bar today for the 5-10 & I thought the bar would be using an 84 DL chain.No problem as I just bought 6 like new Stihl chains with 84 DL.I put the chain on the bar & it was way too long.I looked at the bar to make sure I had the right one & saw 81 DL stamped into it.The bar is an Oregon 240RNDD176.My PM850 used an 84 DL chain on a 24 in.bar.I just bought a 24 in.chain for my Homelite 410 & it used 81 DL on a 24 in.bar.I assumed that on the D176 mount bars they used 84 DL & on the D196 & D096 mount bars they used 81 DL.I guess ya learn something new everyday.I ended up ordering a new 24 in.Oregon chain for $20 + free shipping from the same seller on Amazon as I ordered the chain for the Homelite 410.Pics will be delayed.

Ha
I got the 24 in.Oregon bar today for the 5-10 & I thought the bar would be using an 84 DL chain.No problem as I just bought 6 like new Stihl chains with 84 DL.I put the chain on the bar & it was way too long.I looked at the bar to make sure I had the right one & saw 81 DL stamped into it.The bar is an Oregon 240RNDD176.My PM850 used an 84 DL chain on a 24 in.bar.I just bought a 24 in.chain for my Homelite 410 & it used 81 DL on a 24 in.bar.I assumed that on the D176 mount bars they used 84 DL & on the D196 & D096 mount bars they used 81 DL.I guess ya learn something new everyday.I ended up ordering a new 24 in.Oregon chain for $20 + free shipping from the same seller on Amazon as I ordered the chain for the Homelite 410.Pics will be delayed.
Have the same bar on my 7-10 wish it was 84 DL instead of 81 kind of an odd ball number of DL’s have a bunch of 84DL chains, use on my Husqvarna’s

Could someone please tell me about the muffler gasket (#88)?
View attachment 1035011
My PM60 doesn't have one so I'll need to find a substitute.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have #84, #85 or #86 either...
You might be able to find shoulder bolts at your local hardware store that fit ,but those bolts seal up the large holes in the muffler without crushing it.
The gasket is available online and with a complete gasket kit.
The strap is a head lock piece of tin that keeps the heads of the bolts from turning.

I can shorten your chains for you Ed if you want.

20221126_082746.jpg
Here's a normal D176 bar on my OG PM700. 20221126_082759.jpg
I got the little stainless steel adapter online , you must file the adjustment holes towards the bar slot. I use a 1/4" file but have used a 7/32 before. I also take a cut off wheel in the dremel and slice down from the rail into the adjustment holes, for oil to flow just like the McCulloch bar.
20221126_083039.jpg
You can see the difference between the two bars sitting on top of each other. The 84dl stihl is longer and has a bigger belly.

I can shorten your chains for you Ed if you want.
Thanks Ira! I could've shortened the chain too,but I only have a spinner,no breaker.I put the chain rivets on my bench grinder & it's just a giant PITA.For $20 it was well worth it to just get a new chain that fits.I can still use the 84 DL chains on my other saws that use 'em.

What information are you after?

Without the gasket youll have a good exhaust leak. Without the bilts itll leak worse. Not only heat but noise also. The gasket will fit inside a recess on the exhaust port of the cylinder.
What material is it?
I was wondering if it fits in that recess, it must be slightly thicker so that it seals?

Could someone please tell me about the muffler gasket (#88)?
View attachment 1035011
My PM60 doesn't have one so I'll need to find a substitute.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have #84, #85 or #86 either...

The shoulder bolts could be made on a lathe. Tricky but can be done. Could also use a sleeve on some longer screws. I can't even remember what size they are.

this thing was apparently well taken care of or just used little. all I had to do was wipe it down with a rag. runs like a top and the inside of the fuel tank is pristine yellow paint. was looking for one that had nice original paint. nothing to do on this one. don't know what to do with myself :crazy:
PXL_20221126_232657251.jpgPXL_20221126_232741384.jpgPXL_20221126_233020604.jpgPXL_20221126_233133258.jpgPXL_20221126_233738928.jpgPXL_20221126_232925582.jpg

Latest posts

Back