McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I was the only one that got saws that dirty. I got a Super EZ once that the recoil was packed solid, and wouldn't recoil. Took all of the housing off and used 4 cans of break cleaner spraying it down. Had it spotless. Got it put back together far enough the recoil was back on. Got the bright idea to stick the plug back on and pull it over to see if it had spark, IT DID! One blue spark and POOF. In case you weren't aware, break clean burns. I was trying to smother it, but, too many spaces for air to hide. Lucky my wife wasn't home. I ran in the mud room and dunked it in the wash tub. That is one nice running little saw!
I remember when you told that story on HoH about 4 yrs.ago.I know it wasn't funny to you,but just the way you told it & the way I perceived it,I just couldn't stop laughing.I remember I called you Mr.Bean,Lol.

I am looking into some reproduction piston rings for certain part numbers that are no longer available. Initially I am considering:

87854 - standard thin rings for the 82 cc 10 Series saws (SP80/81/81E, PM850/800/805, DE80, PM8200)
89732 - standard thin rings for the 70 cc 10 Series saws that use the 85239 piston (some 7-10, PM700, etc.)
62814 - standard thick rings for the 54 cc 10 Series models

My initial reseach has turned up a possible supplier (RJ Machine in New Mexico) but I would have to sell the rings at $30+ per set plus shipping to make it work.

I have checked with DLA (Greece) and they don't have anything available.

I have also gone through a few other AM sources and have not found anything close enough to make due for these saws.

My real question is, at $30+ per set would I ever be able to sell these rings?

TIA for your consideration.

Mark

I am a little concerned about the thin cast rings (all the rings they make are cast iron). The only thin rings I've encountered have all been tool steel and are quite flexible. I'm worried that thin cast rings would be prone to breakage if the installation procedure was not exactly right. I've asked for some examples so I can try handling them myself.

Mark

I didn't think he'd be that pricey,but what other options do we have?I've seen ring sets on feebay go for close to $50 (now that's pricey!).At $30/set I think it's a fair price to keep our Macs running.I'm fairly sure that the last set of rings I got from Bob for a 10-10 were somewhere around $20-$25.Those were old prices from Mac from around 2000 or earlier.There are folks out there that don't know that parts are still available for these saws & other folks who don't know where to get them.I try to send customers your way whenever I get a chance.I can put the word out on the McCulloch FB group & that'll increase your ability to move 'em.
Did Bjorn give you a flat rate per set,or if you order more sets will they be cheaper?Example:10 sets @ $30/set,or 40 sets @ $25/set.

When did these rings become scarce? Even the 54cc rings? I've got a set from a few years ago. No pistons on Ebay

What are those LRB thin rings?

My sp81 due for rings or a piston. She not real sad but sorta starting to head down the street where sad lives. Runs like a top but if ya forget the decomp it's not the end of the world. The 850 will hurt

Bob J.ran out of standard rings for the 10-10 (54cc) about a yr.ago.I don't know what his supply was for the 82cc rings.LRB pistons can't be trusted,actually the piston & rings are OK,but....the wrist pin bearings are junk.

I am looking into some reproduction piston rings for certain part numbers that are no longer available. Initially I am considering:

87854 - standard thin rings for the 82 cc 10 Series saws (SP80/81/81E, PM850/800/805, DE80, PM8200)
89732 - standard thin rings for the 70 cc 10 Series saws that use the 85239 piston (some 7-10, PM700, etc.)

My initial reseach has turned up a possible supplier (RJ Machine in New Mexico) but I would have to sell the rings at $30+ per set plus shipping to make it work.

I have also gone through a few other AM sources and have not found anything close enough to make due for these saws.

Mark

For the 82cc I think 30$ would sell ,but usually your into a piston at that point,and there isn't any thin ring options?
A 70cc possibly.
I don't want to be a "bad news bear",but most 54cc saws sell for about the same price and I just don't see most people putting 30$+ into a 10-10. I mean after you sell a couple of sets to all of us the market is probably gonna get cold in a hurry.
The aftermarket support is just so weak for the actual hard parts and the efforts of the few out there have been so hit or miss (LRB) that until we can get a good piston to put rings on for a 54cc or 82cc I cant see them doing well.

Anyone interested in installing a Time Sert in a PM55 cylinder for me?I can't see spending $140+ for a kit that I'd use one time.I've seen the kits that are 2 or 3 over.The jackass that had the saw wallowed out the plug hole so badly that the plug's threads don't even touch the threads in the cylinderI'll pay for shipping both ways,the cost of the materials used,& any charges for labor.TIA!

Mark
Mark,

If you can find a supplier who can match the OE spec, such as steel for thin rings, chrome plate for iron bores etc, that price or even more would be OK. I think you can be confident enthusiasts like me will appreciate they are getting a good product, knowing what it costs to make things right.

If its a plain iron ring copy, then really no - not for me. This stuff is low cost, short life and needs pricing and describing for what it is at a few $ a set.

I guess it depends on where you want to place yourself in the market.

You may have to look to Asia for an aftermarket performance motorcycle ring maker more able to assist with quality product.

Hope this helps

Roland

Insulation complete... Home for Christmas... Uncle home (another miracle). McHalla ready for concert, electric, and shelving. its taken longer than I thought but its happening.

On the rings.... $30-40 for rings one can't find elsewhere is fair. View attachment 1041053View attachment 1041054View attachment 1041055
Max,I think your uncle is like a cat & has 9 lives.God bless him!

As for McHalla taking so long - good quality work takes time.You'll have Bob's old parts moved in there in no time.I can't wait to place my 1st order!

Latest posts

Back