McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd post on the mini mac sticky,but it seems that it's dead there.

I bought another E.B.2.1 a few days ago that seemed to be promising.I got the saw late yesterday & didn't have a chance to go through it till today.The last 2 saws I bought had problems with the oilers not working no matter what I tried with them.I got a chance to go through the newest 2.1 today & the oiler works,but after one prime the electronic ignition module took a dump.I tried 2 more plugs & still no spark.I just can't seem to catch a break with those little yellow devils.

I'd post on the mini mac sticky,but it seems that it's dead there.

I bought another E.B.2.1 a few days ago that seemed to be promising.I got the saw late yesterday & didn't have a chance to go through it till today.The last 2 saws I bought had problems with the oilers not working no matter what I tried with them.I got a chance to go through the newest 2.1 today & the oiler works,but after one prime the electronic ignition module took a dump.I tried 2 more plugs & still no spark.I just can't seem to catch a break with those little yellow devils.

Have you got any that run?

The cylinder on the mower is reminscent of the drone engine or the engines McCulloch was building for Reed Prentice before they went into chainsaws on their own.

20200715_171920.jpg

Dave86 - if you happen upon a stash of carburetors for the BP-1 saws I am in need of three.

I spent most of the day yesterday trying various things on these two, one is my runner from years ago and the other was put together from a large parts lot I picked up a few years ago. Both saws will run with the one good carburetor that I have, the other carburetor will seem to work for a while then the saw floods out. Either the material they used for the carburetors was low quality, or the carburetors that I have were stored in less than ideal conditions as they all seem to leak along the seams even with new gaskets and diaphragms. I can live with a little bit of seepage but fuel running out does not work.

At one point I even tried to use the carburetor from a 170 welder which looks the same externally, but when I tried to swap the throttle shafts (the arrangement on the welder is different than the saw) I discovered the welder carburtor has a much larger throttle bore.

20230510_114549.jpg

One reliable runner, one almost runner, and one really bad carburetor.

20230510_151146.jpg

I found it interesting that on several of the McCulloch/MAC carburetors (flat back and the BP-1) they opted for a fine screen rather than a more conventional high speed check valve. I know for some of the flat back models McCulloch offered a coversion kit to add a check ball in place of a sintered metal screen.

Mark

Back