McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I have
6 SP125
two with 2' bars, and 3 with 3' bars and one with a 30" bar
795 4'bar
890 2'bar
2 old 33s
Promac 800
3-10
1-62
Mini Mac 6
The 10-10A has a wrinkle texture, semi-gloss black finish. I want to paint mine but don't see a good clone of the texture on Amazon. I saw a vht engine paint but I don't think it's a good match. Any ideas 🧐

20230514_162608.jpg

I left the Teflon/fiberglass set in the saw since they worked just fine and I was running short on time. The primer on this saw was even working and would function normally with any of the fuel pump sets installed. I did notice the .020 rubber seemed to take a lot more priming before it was pumping fuel normally but I made cuts with all of them including the OEM set and would say I could not judge any noticable differences in performance.

The 440 test bed has since been thoroughly cleaned and moved into the display area...

20230512_151234.jpg

To simplify the process of removing/installing the carburetor, a couple of modified 7/16" wrenches comes in handy. (that's RedKote, not blood...)

20230514_171400.jpg

Mark

I did te same thing to 2 wrenches solely to work on mac saws. Also a 7/16 combo wrench and also for carbs. The other is a 1/4" combo i use for those tiny bolts and tight spaces holding cylinders together. I also ground down a 1/4" deepwell socket for those little bolts. I dont round the flats off anymore and im able to reuse them.

View attachment 1082733

I left the Teflon/fiberglass set in the saw since they worked just fine and I was running short on time. The primer on this saw was even working and would function normally with any of the fuel pump sets installed. I did notice the .020 rubber seemed to take a lot more priming before it was pumping fuel normally but I made cuts with all of them including the OEM set and would say I could not judge any noticable differences in performance.

The 440 test bed has since been thoroughly cleaned and moved into the display area...

View attachment 1082737

To simplify the process of removing/installing the carburetor, a couple of modified 7/16" wrenches comes in handy. (that's RedKote, not blood...)

View attachment 1082743

Mark
Thanks for doing this test. Your time is valuable but doing this is a great testament to your steadfastness with McCulloch. Great Work 👍 Jeff

Wow it looks nasty 🤔

Per Mark H.
Found this on Amazon. I'll be spraying the pull start cover and top of gas tank in a few weeks. I'll post the results. It looks to have a very similar wrinkle effect. I'm gonna use loctite 515 on the original gasket, which is stuck to the top half of the tank. Other than being compressed, it looks ok.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-15-23-23-38-139.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-15-23-23-38-139.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 0
Found this on Amazon. I'll be spraying the pull start cover and top of gas tank in a few weeks. I'll post the results. It looks to have a very similar wrinkle effect. I'm gonna use loctite 515 on the original gasket, which is stuck to the top half of the tank. Other than being compressed, it looks ok.
Save yourself a headache and get the vitron gasket.

Got a question for you Mark,

What is your current opinion on the displacement of the TimberBear version of the 600 series.

I have seen where you posted that they had to be 58 or 60cc. Any confirmation?

Was McCulloch doing what Poulan does, i.e. stickers are cheaper than engine assemblies.....

Thanks

View attachment 1082733

View attachment 1082737

View attachment 1082743

Mark
I've found a Craftsman 7/16 ignition wrench very handy for those jobs. It has an almost 90 degree offset which helps.

Back