Mcculloch CP125 reborn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that makes my search for a big mac more interesting. So the order of the strongest is a 797, cp125, then sp125? Then the kart saws thrown in also.:dizzy:

This is a good. I did enjoy your SP125 thread. Shame we can not find those old McCulloch intake boot dies.

Well that makes my search for a big mac more interesting. So the order of the strongest is a 797, cp125, then sp125? Then the kart saws thrown in also.:dizzy:

It depends on who you talk to. My old man was sold on the 797 for sure, and then after that the SP-125c. He said the chrome-bore 125s were stronger and could be turned up faster after getting worked over than the steel sleeve SP or CP saws. He had three of the kart saws as well and while he loved the power, they were high maintenance machines. He said you could count on breaking the recoil spring every third day and you'd blow a clutch every other week. He bought a whole case of clutches one time to last him on a six month job in bigger wood.

It's been my experience than the 797 is the strongest out of the bunch but also vibrates the most. The vibrations can be mitigated to a point with some work to the piston, depending on which piston you use and by using the later clutch.

The later crankshaft out of the SP-125c makes the smoothest running saw.

turtle, The clutch is relatively easy to put together.
Put the shoes in the hub but not all the way in. Start
the spring in one shoe and work the spring around
into all the shoes. Do this with the spring hooked. I
put a bolt in a vice and put clutch hub over it so you
have something to help hold the clutch.I took me a bit
to figure out how to do it, it's really simple and quick
once you've done one or two.

Lee

Thanks JJ. I ran one of rwoods this past week and now I want one. I guess any of them would be fine I was just wondering about which was the strongest.

Ok Guys, Back on track with the resto.
I got a bunch of beadblasting done. And was
also able to apply some primer and color.
Just got done with the final coat of color.
Things are looking great so far. Next i will have
to tape off the tank and paint the top black as
well as the filter cover.

Lee

MacCP125resto001.jpg

MacCP125resto002.jpg

MacCP125resto003.jpg

MacCP125resto004.jpg

MacCP125resto005.jpg

Can't wait for the final assembled pictures and the video of it cutting.:clap:

Thanks again guys, I'm really excited about this one
as well. It's the only CP125 i have. It's very different
than the normal SP125's.
Next will be painting the black. That will be a pita. Lots
of taping involved. But so far the yellow looks fabulous.
I'm really liking the epoxy primer.

Lee

You do some awesome work. I've never painted anything like a saw so I wouldn't even attempt to do it on a saw that nice.

You do some awesome work. I've never painted anything like a saw so I wouldn't even attempt to do it on a saw that nice.

Thanks, But the saw really deserved a good resto.
Paint was tattered and she didn't run so it had to
come appart. A few parts needed replacing so it
always leads to a resto. At least for me it doe's.
The assembly is the best part. Watching it all come
together.

Lee

Thanks, But the saw really deserved a good resto.
Paint was tattered and she didn't run so it had to
come appart. A few parts needed replacing so it
always leads to a resto. At least for me it doe's.
The assembly is the best part. Watching it all come
together.

Lee

Schweeeeet!!!!! Its looking good Dude,,,

Just curious,,, what was keeping it from running??? oh yeah a rather large hole in the intake boot,,, Duhhhh????

Last edited:
thanks brian, lee & jacob for your help on the spring. sorry for the sidetrack, i was cruisin' thru and saw the mac braintrust was hanging out.
nice paint lee. your work deserves the best material for the app. when we painted out board lower units it was blast, etch, epoxy prime, then catalyzed polyurethane, usually awl-grip. nice build, creamy finish. pricey for sure but worth it.
you know you got it right when you want to lick it !
waitin' for the music.:clap:

Gorgeous work Lee!

I read alot about guys who are wannabe's and I have been in garages my whole life. VERY FEW are the guys who have TRUE skills and care in their work. This is always apparent in your stuff! Craftsmanship is rapidly becoming a lost art, as so many require immediate gratification, and seem to have the lack of patience required, it is nice to see that this affliction does not effect everyone...Congratulations on another job well done Lee!

Brian and Tina

Latest posts

Back