McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well both the Mini and the Eager Beaver run on gas.. but poorly. I think the Mini is very sick. The crank has ~1/8" of end play. I'm guessing that's not normal... should I tear into it any further or just hunt another motor to put in it?
Gotta remember that those saws had about a 35 hour life span. And after that they were pretty much all worn out. Which way is the end play? Up and down or side to side? If its up and down then you might as well use it as a parts saw. If its side to side you might beable to get away with it but 1/8 is quite a bit. I had a Homelite 330 that had about that much endplay.

Well both the Mini and the Eager Beaver run on gas.. but poorly. I think the Mini is very sick. The crank has ~1/8" of end play. I'm guessing that's not normal... should I tear into it any further or just hunt another motor to put in it?

Is the flywheel smacking and/or sticking to the coil with every revolution? Dont fire the saw up to find out, just rotate it by hand.

It is end to end travel. The clutch bumped the cover when I fired it up. It won't idle down so I'm thinking it's leaking due to the end play. Only ran it about 45 seconds. If it's going to be a custom parts deal.. I'll start looking for a motor. I didn't know if it was something that could be adjusted out by design. Anyone have a 35 motor sitting around or I'll head to the 'bay.

It is end to end travel. The clutch bumped the cover when I fired it up. It won't idle down so I'm thinking it's leaking due to the end play. Only ran it about 45 seconds. If it's going to be a custom parts deal.. I'll start looking for a motor. I didn't know if it was something that could be adjusted out by design. Anyone have a 35 motor sitting around or I'll head to the 'bay.

1,6, 25, 30, 35 110, 120, 140, 160, eager beaver, silver eagle, monkey wards..........put it this way, if the saw looks like a MINI case, the engine will fit your 35:hmm3grin2orange:

1,6, 25, 30, 35 110, 120, 140, 160, eager beaver, silver eagle, monkey wards..........put it this way, if the saw looks like a MINI case, the engine will fit your 35:hmm3grin2orange:

Awesome.. so the two I have will cross over? Of course I just bought another 35 for a whole $1.75 on eBay. I don't know.. maybe two of them running?! They look like they will fit under the seat of the truck nicely!

Awesome.. so the two I have will cross over? Of course I just bought another 35 for a whole $1.75 on eBay. I don't know.. maybe two of them running?! They look like they will fit under the seat of the truck nicely!

Any mini will interchange. You know you have problems when you are fixing the parts saws haha:laugh:

Any mini will interchange. You know you have problems when you are fixing the parts saws haha:laugh:

That sounds like me, I like to fix up my parts saw's too.:help: Maybe we should all have a contest to see whose cad is the worst. haha. I once bought a homelite super 2 parts saw just to fix up someone elses super 2 and ended up fixing them both up. I still need a bar and chain for my super 2.haha I have some mini mac's in the same situation.

Any mini will interchange.

you sure about that?

Im pretty positive. They are all 32cc engines, the powerplant has never changed. Besides different brand carbs, a fixed or removable recoil starter, points or electronic ignition and a chain brake or not its all the same. And any of these parts will bolt to and from earlier to later model saws. Oh yeah, you may find a different muffler from the earlier to later but they too interchange. Im no expert but I will stand by my statement until proven otherwise.:cheers:

Im pretty positive. They are all 32cc engines, the powerplant has never changed. Besides different brand carbs, a fixed or removable recoil starter, points or electronic ignition and a chain brake or not its all the same. And any of these parts will bolt to and from earlier to later model saws. Oh yeah, you may find a different muffler from the earlier to later but they too interchange. Im no expert but I will stand by my statement until proven otherwise.:cheers:

1. they are not all 32cc engines. their were a few sizes between the mm25,30,35,100,110,120,130,and the mm140. anywhere from 28cc up to 36cc.
2. the older cranks have a larger keyway for the flywheel. you can't use a newer flywheel on an older mini. can't remember the year they changed that. you can however change out the older flywheel onto a newer saw and have slightly adjustable ignition.;)
3. some of the older mini macs had a smaller pto side of the crank and took a screw on style clutch instead of the slip on and nut.
4. the muffler isn't a direct swap between the square style and the oval stack type between all saws. some will interchange but it's on some and not others.
you get to see all the differences working in a mcculloch dealership for 5 years:dizzy:

1. they are not all 32cc engines. their were a few sizes between the mm25,30,35,100,110,120,130,and the mm140. anywhere from 28cc up to 36cc.
2. the older cranks have a larger keyway for the flywheel. you can't use a newer flywheel on an older mini. can't remember the year they changed that. you can however change out the older flywheel onto a newer saw and have slightly adjustable ignition.;)
3. some of the older mini macs had a smaller pto side of the crank and took a screw on style clutch instead of the slip on and nut.
4. the muffler isn't a direct swap between the square style and the oval stack type between all saws. some will interchange but it's on some and not others.
you get to see all the differences working in a mcculloch dealership for 5 years:dizzy:

So, regardless of the CC saw, are the cases different? I can take a late model engine and bolt it into a MM25 case no problem. In my little experience with these mini's they are not a micro manage (no pun intended) type of saw. Lots of parts do interchange, usually I find im swapping whole engines and the likes, not component parts.

So, regardless of the CC saw, are the cases different? I can take a late model engine and bolt it into a MM25 case no problem. In my little experience with these mini's they are not a micro manage (no pun intended) type of saw. Lots of parts do interchange, usually I find im swapping whole engines and the likes, not component parts.

there isn't any difference in the general engine case or shroud/body, other than if the saw did or didn't have an auto oiler. some of the older mini's didn't have the hole in front for the oiler adjustement screw. there were some out that you couldn't put the stack muffler on because the cooling fins were to close together. and some the square muffler couldn't go on because the cooling fins were too tall.

something i have noticed on my mini's is that they are not all auto oiling. a couple of them i have taken apart look like they have the auto oiler, but if you take the oiler off there is no crank case hole. maybe it was a manufacturing defect.
EDIT nevermind just noticed broken budget already posted about the oiler. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back