McCulloch Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maxas

maxas

I recently aquired an old McCulloch Chain Saw with a 36in bar. It was bought from Wherehauser a long time ago. It hand't ran for 20 years until I cleaned and fired it up yesterday. There are minimal markings on the saw. The only numbers I found were on the bottom: 63629 18 053.

My question is what gas mix I should use with it? It fired with 32:1 but didn't seem to run correctly. I heard if there are any open bearings in the engine I should use a heavier mix like 16:1. Thanks :)

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
I recently aquired an old McCulloch Chain Saw with a 36in bar. It was bought from Wherehauser a long time ago. It hand't ran for 20 years until I cleaned and fired it up yesterday. There are minimal markings on the saw. The only numbers I found were on the bottom: 63629 18 053.

My question is what gas mix I should use with it? It fired with 32:1 but didn't seem to run correctly. I heard if there are any open bearings in the engine I should use a heavier mix like 16:1. Thanks :)

32:1 with quality oil (Stihl, Mobil, etc.) and fresh good quality gas will be fine.

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the adivice. It just sounds really lean when I run it. Would a heavier mix damage the engine?

Take the saw to a tech that you ttrust and let him see if it is a carb issue or a possible air leak. Do not run the saw in a lean condition!!! More oil will not help.

maxas

maxas

Thanks. I will do my best to post some pictures of the saw tomorrow. I have rebuilt the carbs of engines before, and I was actually planning on doing it when I had some spare time. I was reading a book on engines and it said that if there was needle barrings a 32:1 mix should be used and if there was plain barrings a 16:1 mix should be used.

I don't really plan on using the saw other than for a little fun. So I wont be using it. Thanks for all the help, it is nice to have such friendly and available help!

lawnmowertech37

lawnmowertech37

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks. I will do my best to post some pictures of the saw tomorrow. I have rebuilt the carbs of engines before, and I was actually planning on doing it when I had some spare time. I was reading a book on engines and it said that if there was needle barrings a 32:1 mix should be used and if there was plain barrings a 16:1 mix should be used.

I don't really plan on using the saw other than for a little fun. So I wont be using it. Thanks for all the help, it is nice to have such friendly and available help!

theres a couple of us in the usa that have mcculloch parts but not alot of us around you just have to use acres site to find them parts sources as far as i recall 32:1 was for them macs

but use 87 octane

and if needing a kit for the carby i happen to have found oem kits in great shape for them units

so its mcculloch kits and not aftermarket

Last edited: