Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it copied correctly it should install right up. But don't know about compatibility with Windows XP. I remember that if you right on the setup.exe you can select "run in compatibility mode" (may have to then select properties after in the menu) on some programs. See if that helps

I recall Philbert trying to install on a Mac running a VM version of Winwhatever and I don't think he was successful. Maybe he'll chime in with the details.
@Philbert (Hi, Philbert.)

FWIW, I've run it on everything from win2k and xp to win10 with no problems. And the date should not need to be adjusted if the MediaCAT version is v3.33.

Should be able to find an old windows rig cheap these days. The program is worth it. And if the machine is only to be used for MediaCAT you can try the last v5.xx version that requires the rolled back date. Whole different platform with more bells and whistles but a little klunky and cumbersome on the frontend until you get used to it. Doesn't cover that many newer products than the last version of v3.33 tho, so may not be worth the hassle for some.

I recall Philbert trying to install on a Mac running a VM version of Winwhatever and I don't think he was successful. Maybe he'll chime in with the details. (Hi, Philbert.)
Reposting this for guys having trouble - especially with a Macintosh computer, where the software will not load, but individual files can be accessed:

Open 'STIHL' folder.
Open 'SCS 01-2010' folder.
Open 'Resources' folder.
Scroll down 2/3 of the way to find PDF files marked 'RA-xxxxx' (service manuals) and 'TI-xxxx' (technical information).
Open these with Adobe Acrobat, or something similar.

Philbert

I got it to work. Win7, Date&Time set back to normal now. You assume all responsibility for your actions, and I am not liable for what you do with this writing or what happens from it.

Here is how:
Pregame - open Start and type in "create a restore point" - Do it, just in-case anything screws up. Name it something like 'Before MediaCAT'.
1 - Go here and download this simple right-click script. This will add an extra option to your right-mouse-click menu that will block mediaCAT from checking online for newer versions (and upon finding them, locking you out, from what I've read).
2 - Go get Adobe Reader
3 - Open Windows Explorer. Rightclick on "Local Disk - C:" and go down to New>Folder. Rename to "MediaCAT". Copy all files from "D:" (your DVD-rom Drive, yes DVD, a CD-rom drive cannot read a DVD-rom, if you have an oldie compooter, let me know and I will send it on 2 CDs instead b/c its over 1GB) to the folder you just created. Will take about 10 minutes, go get brewski.
4 - Open "C:\MediaCAT" (the folder on your harddrive, upon opening it may say MediaCAT V x.xx, if so open that). Now up above where all the files are listed, you should see "Name|Date Modified|Type|Size", you want to click on "Type" (if it doesn't say 'Type', rightclick where it says 'Name' and check the box/click on 'Type' in the submenu). You want to find every one that says "Application" and right click on it and go to "Tweaking - Windows Firewall > Block in windows firewall". You must search every folder in the "MediaCAT" - each new folder, I believe you need to click "Type" again to get it to list alphabetically.

Just so you don't miss any, here is a count, for a total of 8 blocks:
MediaCAT Vx.xx (main folder) - 2 (setup.exe, clientsetup.exe)
Adobe - 1 (Just do your language, English is AcrobatReader_EN.exe)
eVision - 2 (reset, support)
Files - 3 (mediacat, uninstall mediacat, support)
STIL - 0 (no applications)
Tutorial - 0 (no applications)

5 - Bottom right of your screen, where the Date&Time are - click once, pause, click again where it says "Change Date & Time settings". On the pop-up, click "Change Date & Time". Click the month, which will scroll out, then click the year, which will scroll out again. Then click the left arrow by 2016, and select 2005, then October, then 22. Click "OK", then "Apply", then "OK".
6 - In Windows Explorer, under "C:\MediaCAT" open the "setup.exe" - It will say something about "if you are looking for the client version, then close this installer and open the other one" - ignore it. Choose the No-CD option "Complete/Full install". Click "Next". Next page should be "What packages do you want to install?", click the "All" button and it should checkmark the STIL package. Enter in a bunch of bogus for the Required sections. I can't walk you through step-by-step, because I already installed it, but basically, you want your install directory and the other directory (cannot remember name, it is on the same screen) to be "C:\MMMediaCAT" (extra MMMMs so you can differentiate and delete the 1GB install/transfer folder, I think it will auto-create the folder or prompt you saying 'this file does not exist, would you like to create it?'). Click Next. After you see the bar with %ages, go shotgun a bur for a job welldone.
7 - After it finishes, it will come up with Adobe Acrobat Installer. Click next. "Oh sh1T! it crashed!???!" Don't fret. You already installed adobe in step 2 so it doesn't matta.
8 - DO NOT OPEN MEDIACAT YET! - Now you need to repeat Step 4, but at "C:\MMMediaCAT" instead. This one is a bit quicker, only 2 application files: mediacat.exe & support.exe, both in the main directory.
9 - Open MediaCAT and click on the big orange STIL logo to make sure it works right. (It should, it takes a minute to get used to)
10 - Close up MediaCAT. Go delete the 1GB "C:\MediaCAT" DVD-transfer folder (NOT the MMMediaCAT install folder that is ~700mb), and then change your Date&Time back to the current day. Empty Recycle Bin.
11 - Restart.
12 - If you did everything right, the next time you open MediaCAT, it will have a popup that reads "Checking for newer version/data/manuals" for a few seconds. Don't start clicking everywhere trying to 'X' it out and crash the program, it will go away and give you access as it should.
13 - Enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone got the most up-to-date manual packages? Even though I happened across the 193 ipl, model changes, and 192 service manual from a helpful individual, I would like to have all the Technical Information bulletins and whatnot for it.
Thanks!
http://www.tweaking.com/content/pag...k)_allowblock_or_remove_windows_firewall.html

I got it to work. Win7, Date&Time set back to normal now. You assume all responsibility for your actions, and I am not liable for what you do with this writing or what happens from it.

Here is how:
Pregame - open Start and type in "create a restore point" - Do it, just in-case anything screws up. Name it something like 'Before MediaCAT'.
1 - Go here and download this simple right-click script. This will add an extra option to your right-mouse-click menu that will block mediaCAT from checking online for newer versions (and upon finding them, locking you out, from what I've read).
2 - Go get Adobe Reader
3 - Open Windows Explorer. Rightclick on "Local Disk - C:" and go down to New>Folder. Rename to "MediaCAT". Copy all files from "D:" (your DVD-rom Drive, yes DVD, a CD-rom drive cannot read a DVD-rom, if you have an oldie compooter, let me know and I will send it on 2 CDs instead b/c its over 1GB) to the folder you just created. Will take about 10 minutes, go get brewski.
4 - Open "C:\MediaCAT" (the folder on your harddrive, upon opening it may say MediaCAT V x.xx, if so open that). Now up above where all the files are listed, you should see "Name|Date Modified|Type|Size", you want to click on "Type" (if it doesn't say 'Type', rightclick where it says 'Name' and check the box/click on 'Type' in the submenu). You want to find every one that says "Application" and right click on it and go to "Tweaking - Windows Firewall > Block in windows firewall". You must search every folder in the "MediaCAT" - each new folder, I believe you need to click "Type" again to get it to list alphabetically.

Just so you don't miss any, here is a count, for a total of 8 blocks:
MediaCAT Vx.xx (main folder) - 2 (setup.exe, clientsetup.exe)
Adobe - 1 (Just do your language, English is AcrobatReader_EN.exe)
eVision - 2 (reset, support)
Files - 3 (mediacat, uninstall mediacat, support)
STIL - 0 (no applications)
Tutorial - 0 (no applications)

5 - Bottom right of your screen, where the Date&Time are - click once, pause, click again where it says "Change Date & Time settings". On the pop-up, click "Change Date & Time". Click the month, which will scroll out, then click the year, which will scroll out again. Then click the left arrow by 2016, and select 2005, then October, then 22. Click "OK", then "Apply", then "OK".
6 - In Windows Explorer, under "C:\MediaCAT" open the "setup.exe" - It will say something about "if you are looking for the client version, then close this installer and open the other one" - ignore it. Choose the No-CD option "Complete/Full install". Click "Next". Next page should be "What packages do you want to install?", click the "All" button and it should checkmark the STIL package. Enter in a bunch of bogus for the Required sections. I can't walk you through step-by-step, because I already installed it, but basically, you want your install directory and the other directory (cannot remember name, it is on the same screen) to be "C:\MMMediaCAT" (extra MMMMs so you can differentiate and delete the 1GB install/transfer folder, I think it will auto-create the folder or prompt you saying 'this file does not exist, would you like to create it?'). Click Next. After you see the bar with %ages, go shotgun a bur for a job welldone.
7 - After it finishes, it will come up with Adobe Acrobat Installer. Click next. "Oh sh1T! it crashed!???!" Don't fret. You already installed adobe in step 2 so it doesn't matta.
8 - DO NOT OPEN MEDIACAT YET! - Now you need to repeat Step 4, but at "C:\MMMediaCAT" instead. This one is a bit quicker, only 2 application files: mediacat.exe & support.exe, both in the main directory.
9 - Open MediaCAT and click on the big orange STIL logo to make sure it works right. (It should, it takes a minute to get used to)
10 - Close up MediaCAT. Go delete the 1GB "C:\MediaCAT" DVD-transfer folder (NOT the MMMediaCAT install folder that is ~700mb), and then change your Date&Time back to the current day. Empty Recycle Bin.
11 - Restart.
12 - If you did everything right, the next time you open MediaCAT, it will have a popup that reads "Checking for newer version/data/manuals" for a few seconds. Don't start clicking everywhere trying to 'X' it out and crash the program, it will go away and give you access as it should.
13 - Enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone got the most up-to-date manual packages? Even though I happened across the 193 ipl, model changes, and 192 service manual from a helpful individual, I would like to have all the Technical Information bulletins and whatnot for it.
Thanks!

Where did you get this copy? Don't bother copying this dvd, it needs to come out of the chain letter.
A good copy requires no date change, nor any file moving, etc. It will even check and see if your acrobat program is current enough. After loading the disc, all you should have to do is follow the prompts.

Where did you get this copy? Don't bother copying this dvd, it needs to come out of the chain letter.
A good copy requires no date change, nor any file moving, etc. It will even check and see if your acrobat program is current enough. After loading the disc, all you should have to do is follow the prompts.

That's a copy of what I got, but it installed like you said for me - just followed the prompts.

Well darn, wish I woulda known it would of worked straight off the DVD. I was just being precautious after reading that 09 would somehow lock your comp from installing 07. It is possible it works, and everything seemed to install just fine, up until Adobe Acrobat installer started up, in which it would pop up an error that said something like "Windows Installer has failed to initialize" - presumably from being out-of-date or having a newer version already installed.

So yea or nay on sending out 2 copies to fellow members? I have one who already PM'd me looking for a copy, should he just post here to get taken care of?

I have not yet. D: has MediaCATV3.33 folder on it, and I was going to use Window's built-in burner to burn it.

So it was just about the Acrobat installer? It will probably be OK. I usually remove the Mediacat from my computer,
to test a disc that I am unsure of. To make sure it loads fine before I mail it.

Yes, mediaCAT went through its installer just fine. After it auto-closed and Adobe Acro Reader's installer popped up, it comes up with an error. I just 'X'ed it and started up mediacat no probs.

I just received the media cat dvd from Amp4027. Thanks for the quick mailing Amp.
But when I try to install by letting windows do it thing upon inserting the dvd, I get a "Set Up Error: No installation data found"
Also when navigating to the folder on the dvd and clicking on the Setup Icon I get the same error.
Thinking it might be because when I click on the dvd, instead of seeing the setup file and other files like most other dvd/cd's I've had, I am greeted with a folder "MediaCat V.3.33" and date modified 9/30/2016.
Maybe the installation application can't find the files and needs a setup file edited to look in the "MediaCat V.3.33" folder on the dvd.
Any thoughts?
Tomorrow night I will try copying the dvd to my hard drive and installing it from there.
Running Windows 10 Home Edition on a laptop.

setup_error.jpg

media_cat_folder.jpg

Let me know if copying it to C:, and Setup.exe->'Run as Administrator' works. It was cloned, so it should be an exact 1:1 copy of the disc I received (worked).

Update, Up and running.
I copied the folder to my C drive.
Opened the folder and clicked on Setup.
Did the usual windows install. Then Adobe tried to install and said newer version available. Closed the Adobe installer.
Saw MediaCat icon on Desktop and clicked on it. It opened up and I did the registration thing. Then clicked on Documents Tab and it wanted to download some updates. So I let it update.
Then l searched for info on my MS361.
Success.
Works perfect.
Thanks Amp and others.

PS: I did not run as administrator.

Hey guys can i get a copy send to Australia please. Will share with the blokes down here unless some has one already

Sent from West Coast AUS

Latest posts

Back