Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOE.G

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi I have a Stihl 009, Today I took all the saw's out and fired them up, Haven't run a few of them in a month or so, Well They all fired right up but I noticed a little spark coming from the boot of the 009 and sure enough the metal spring was sticking out of it, the saw ran like a champ, I have a new one coming along with the spring.

I see that if I wanted to replace the whole wire I would have to replace the whole coil. Is there any tricks to getting it back on? Does the spring poke though the side of the plug wire? Do I need to tape or do anything to it? is it obvious which way the spring goes into the boot? Thanks

Pics would help, but I will try and give a little direction.

IIRC...You can change out the coil wire with a new one. Unscrew the old wire from the coil, then screw in the new one. Old coil should be able to stay in place.

I don't see how the wire would come out, it looks like it is one piece with the coil.

I could be wrong, But I had the coil out and I don't see how it would.

I was working on my 020 last night. I removed the boot on it to pull the coil and wire through the body of the saw. I pulled on the boot until I saw a metal wire sticking in the side of the coil wire. I pulled the metal wire (end of the spring) out of the side of the wire and the metal spring and boot slid right off. I bet you have a spark plug wire boot lying around you could replace that old one with and be done in about an hour... that is if they have a similar design. I should know since I have an 009, but I have not been that deep into it yet...

Did the spring go through the side of the boot or come out the hole? The spring has a barb that pokes into the wire to get the spark. Ther are 3 separate pieces on the plug end. Plug boot, spring, and wire. To take them apart, spray a little lube in the boot and push the spring out the large end. To put back together you will probably have to stick the barb iinto the wire in a different location or trim a bit off the end of the wire, as the original barb hole is probably whollered out. To reinstall put the boot on the wire first, put the barbed spring in the wire, and pull the wire and spring back through the big end of the plug. A bit of grease works well. I also heat shrink some tubing around the spring barb to keep it in place on reinstall.

Sorry about the thumbs down, that's what I get for posting from my phone.

Last edited:
No Problem, The hole looks fine, There is a tiny bit maybe 1 MM of wire sticking out of the center of the spark plug wire. Could I use just a touch of elec tape to hold barb in? The metal spring is poking right out the back of the plug boot.

I always use Dielectric grease when working with this type of stuff, I am sure it is straight forward, I figured while I am waiting for the parts I would collect some tips.

Latest posts

Back