Meteor 044 10mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the Meteor Company is fantastic. I believe, they knowingly misrepresented their product. If they were fantastic, they would have have been upfront with their product with distributors and end users. No way does the engineering, drafting and management staff not know their product is different from the Stihl OEM. I believe they've made a conscience decision to hide the truth. It would be nice if they had the balls to fess up. Oh, and I do like their product. deereguy

I can't figure out how it would benefit them to design, draft and engineer a product that was different from the part they were trying to replace. That just doesn't make sense, as I'm sure there's not some rogue engineer who rebels against Stihl 2mm at a time working for them. I actually believe it is something completely different and an oversight by Meteor.

OEM 10mm and 12mm pistons have the locating pins in different places, Meteor does not. It appears to me that they used the 12mm piston as a template for both the 12mm pistons they product and the 10mm pistons they produce. It could have come from a bunch of reasons why such as design oversight, not realizing there was a difference and even maybe 10mm pistons being NLA at the time from Stihl.

According to my contact at Meteor it appears that within the next couple of months they are going to redesign and remedy this part. Whichever way it washes out we will see.

Chris

Chris, thanks for your efforts. Having the correct product available from Meteor would be great and helpful to me personally.

They'll just have to lower their prices.
The profit margin on these things are crazy anyway. Not from a distributor stand point, but from a Manufacturing stand point.

I'm glad they're looking into rectumfying the issue. I don't however agree with the stated time frame it will take to "re-tool".

Oh yeah, YOURE WELCOME ;)

Oh yeah, YOURE WELCOME ;)

I could have remained blissfully ignorant :) That's why this place rocks.
thanks to you and Duke for getting to the bottom of this, I wonder if they will mention anything to me about this issue, I have some currently on the way :)
Dave

I could have remained blissfully ignorant :) That's why this place rocks.
thanks to you and Duke for getting to the bottom of this, I wonder if they will mention anything to me about this issue, I have some currently on the way :)
Dave
Let us know if they mention anything about your shipment or if they just let em ride!

;)

With the OEM pistons now being less than 50 dollars retail I wonder if Meteor will really bother to retool for a part that only sold 400 odd pieces in the last three years, it seems like a pretty small niche.
Dave

Dave,

Do you really think this is going to truly affect sales of Meteor pistons? They may lower their price or hold where they are at, I'm not sure.

Regardless if Stihl has lowered their price, when it comes to Meteor you're still getting the same great quality piston with Caber rings.

But were people every really buying Meteor pistons as a compromise in the first place, or were they getting a piston that was good, if not better than OEM for a more reasonable price?

Let us know if they mention anything about your shipment or if they just let em ride!

;)

Based on the failure free track record of the current design I wouldn't be surprised if they let it ride, re-tool, sell through current inventory and start over again with the new design.
If it had created a failure in the first place I would understand dumping current stock and starting over, but does that really make business sense based on the evidence?

At my day job I do $6million a year in sales....

Saw we have Chuck Shoulders on sale and I have a round pallet of em in the back, I have one customer call during the sale and say their roast was tough. I don't dump the pallet down the compacted AS a result if the other 600 roasts went out the door with nary a peep.

Dave, Do you really think this is going to truly affect sales of Meteor pistons? They may lower their price or hold where they are at, I'm not sure.
Regardless if Stihl has lowered their price, when it comes to Meteor you're still getting the same great quality piston with Caber rings.
But were people every really buying Meteor pistons as a compromise in the first place, or were they getting a piston that was good, if not better than OEM for a more reasonable price?

I don't think Meteor is a compromise, more a calculated return on investment for most. In general you pay both companies for a great product and then pay Stihl a little more to put 5 letters on the side :)
Actually for most models I would not hesitate a moment to use a Meteor piston and/or cylinder. With few exceptions they are the only substitution for OEM that doesn't result in a weaker saw.
If anyone wants to rebuild a saw I place OEM and Meteor pretty equal on most models.
I am really surprised that they only sold 500 of that specific model in 3 years, perhaps there are fewer of this saw floating around needing fixed than I imagined or maybe the high end AM piston world is a smaller game overall than I thought.
In my fevered brain getting a product 99% as good for 60% of the money is always worth a strong look.
I'll let you know what happens with the next shipment.
For me the 10mm in both Stihl and Meteor has produced interest from customers.
If you guys need Meteor please hit up Chris first, I am still fighting a losing battle with a dual inventory system that makes me want to punt kittens about twice a day.
He is great to deal with, knows his saws and is probably a little less expensive too.
DDave

Based on the failure free track record of the current design I wouldn't be surprised if they let it ride, re-tool, sell through current inventory and start over again with the new design.
If it had created a failure in the first place I would understand dumping current stock and starting over, but does that really make business sense based on the evidence?

Meteor does not impress me as being a group of smoke blowing butt-munchers. They seem straightforward and honest. If they retool, I will still order them.

Back