Meteor Cylinder Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use one of these cylinders on a saw you're paying $250 to have ported?

• Total voters
I've got one I'd like you to check out if you could make time in your busy schedule, it's for a Wild Thingy. I been thinking about getting it porked... oops, I mean ported.

Well, send em over, I'll try to fit it in my busy schedule

17 pages of banter and bulls hit and we are still divided.
I've tried to stay on the sidelines and watch the fray but I think I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

We need to remember that these are TOOLS!
As much as we would like to give them human personalities and traits, they are still just slugs of aluminum with steel rings that run up and down in a tube of aluminum with a plated coating inside.
I've seen some of the fastest saws at GTGs have port work that looked like it was done with a chisel and claw hammer!

How good does a cylinder have to be to contain an explosion and drive a piston downward?
Are you putting one of these aftermarket cylinders on and engine that you are running in next years Indy 500?
Will a sawyer in the woods ever think about how the ports look in the saw he is running?
Will the wood stove CARE if the wood it burns was cut with a saw with an aftermarket or OEM cylinder?
It is a FACT that a waxed car will get better fuel mileage.
Will it be enough better to pay for the cost of the wax?

If the aftermarket cylinders are junk, why are there so many sitting on saws cutting wood every day?
OR
If the OEM cylinders are so great why are so many guys buying BRAND NEW chainsaws and shipping them to the porters for modification?

When push comes to shove, it all boils down to the individual customer and his needs and wants and FUNDS!
Not everyone can afford a $200.00 top end for an otherwise great saw, what are they supposed to do?
I have a few saws here running aftermarket cylinders and doing just fine...thank you!
I also have a couple here that are running top ends that other members THREW AWAY because they weren't good enough for them to run on one of their saws...............don't I Jeremy???:msp_rolleyes:

What I see here is.................much ado about nothing!
JMHO.

Mike

17 pages of banter and bulls hit
JMHO.

Looks to me like a sour grapes retort by somebody who missed the Meteor train while other guys were hoppin' on to a proven product and beginning to offer it as an affordable alternative to OEM in their respective lines of business as saw builders and porters. Period.

Last edited:
I give my customers 3 choices when I repair their saws aka rebuild.

1. REDNECK saw repair that most of us do is cheapest using the used oem parts and just cleaning them up when possible.

2. Aftermarket parts that I would use on my own stuff.

3. New or like new used OEM

Guess which one most of them choose around me after explaining in detail the good and bads and cost of each.

In my very uneducated opinion, I think it would be a better option to have the am kit ported. If you choose the right builder to do the job, they will make sure its done properly and there are no problems with the product.

Just for the record, I have a saw with a ching chong top end on it, which came from Matt (MCW). That saw is incredibly strong and works very very well.

So this argument that AM top ends don't make power doesn't fly here.

17 pages of banter and bulls hit and we are still divided.
I've tried to stay on the sidelines and watch the fray but I think I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

We need to remember that these are TOOLS!
As much as we would like to give them human personalities and traits, they are still just slugs of aluminum with steel rings that run up and down in a tube of aluminum with a plated coating inside.
I've seen some of the fastest saws at GTGs have port work that looked like it was done with a chisel and claw hammer!

How good does a cylinder have to be to contain an explosion and drive a piston downward?
Are you putting one of these aftermarket cylinders on and engine that you are running in next years Indy 500?
Will a sawyer in the woods ever think about how the ports look in the saw he is running?
Will the wood stove CARE if the wood it burns was cut with a saw with an aftermarket or OEM cylinder?
It is a FACT that a waxed car will get better fuel mileage.
Will it be enough better to pay for the cost of the wax?

If the aftermarket cylinders are junk, why are there so many sitting on saws cutting wood every day?
OR
If the OEM cylinders are so great why are so many guys buying BRAND NEW chainsaws and shipping them to the porters for modification?

When push comes to shove, it all boils down to the individual customer and his needs and wants and FUNDS!
Not everyone can afford a $200.00 top end for an otherwise great saw, what are they supposed to do?
I have a few saws here running aftermarket cylinders and doing just fine...thank you!
I also have a couple here that are running top ends that other members THREW AWAY because they weren't good enough for them to run on one of their saws...............don't I Jeremy???:msp_rolleyes:

JMHO.

Mike

Looks to me like a sour grapes retort by somebody who missed the Meteor train while other guys were hoppin' on to a proven product and beginning to offer it as an affordable alternative to OEM in their respective lines of business as saw builders and porters. Period.

Did you read any of my post other than what you quoted???

What part of "I have a few saws running aftermarket cylinders and doing just fine....thank you!"
Do you have a problem understanding???

I didn't miss the aftermarket train at ALL.
And I would most likely buy an aftermarket kit tomorrow if one were available for a toasted saw of mine.
I'm fully confident that I could clean up irregularities and casting flaws (if necessary) well enough to get a saw back in the woods and working.

Reading comprehension was never your strong suit was it???

Mike

What part of "I have a few saws running aftermarket cylinders and doing just fine....thank you!"

And I would most likely buy an aftermarket kit tomorrow if one were available for a toasted saw of mine.
I'm fully confident that I could clean up irregularities and casting flaws (if necessary) well enough to get a saw back in the woods and working.

Mike

He was referring to Brad as the one with a case of sour grapes Mike. :msp_wink:

Mike

He was referring to Brad as the one with a case of sour grapes Mike. :msp_wink:

Yeah, he wasn't talking about you Mike. Have some pie.:msp_biggrin:

Dulce+de+Leche+Apple+Pie+1+500.jpg

I have AFM cyl's out there too. I just inspect them before installing. If they pass they go on.

Even used some of the AFM rings and they are holding up to. Tried the circlips on some and it hasnt come back to bite me in the azz yet.

I have a BB372 piston with it's AFM rings right now in a poulan cylinder. One before they started coating black stuff on them. Nice looking piston IMO. Been running her hard and she was at the Poulan GTG.

WOW ..... I go to sea an a US Navy warship for a couple days and come back here to see all the HUB-BUB.. expecting to see something, what I do see is.... an UN-complete comparison.

I see pictures of a cylinder, lines drawn on the thing just like a guy about to do a port job would do.. I think? I'm not a builder, I don't offer ported saws and wouldn't know what to do, to even begin to do a job like Randy, Brad, or Jeremy would do. That's what they get paid to do...... however.

Page 3, post #44
Brad, contact me for an MS460 kit. The kit will come factory direct to your door and I'll never touch it before it arrives. In return, you do a full report including all the specs of timing and compression, timed cuts and all. Meteor kit against stock....If you don't like it, I'll pay for it, I'll even pay the shipping. If its anything like the 372 kit, you get a winner, a great product of good quality at a good price.

Sincerely,
Frank

That was the deal. Draw all the lines you want, tell me the width is wrong, the bevel isn't perfect, chamber is reversed, the piston should NEVER touch the crown (if it does, we have a problem), the ports don't match..... yada, yada yada...

I don't care what you do to make it acceptable for you to be proud of before it leaves your shop.... and have your name on it... That's why you get paid to PORT saws, I get paid to sell cylinders!

I did my part, sent a kit to your door for comparison, direct from the factory without interference what-so-ever...... It's not done yet.....

Did you put the saw together to measure squish? Does the timing of that cylinder compare to OEM? Does the saw make good compression? Does the saw run comparable to a stock saw? Did you time the cuts to compare a stock OEM saw to this cylinder and piston? I know you mentioned that you didn't have a stock OEM for comparison, you have done other threads with documents to support the before timing numbers to use. You do have old video comparing stock to your ported timed cut videos to use.... and could probably make marks on an OEM cylinder and tear it apart just like you did with this one!

Seriously? Is that all that matters? I disagree. This kit is really no different than the one I had before. I installed it and was going to donate it to replace the topend on a saw we raffled here. I wouldn't let it go out with that topend on it. It simply didn't run like a saw I wanted going out of my shop, representing my work. Sure, this topend will run, but there's a lot more to it than that. I see no point in installing this kit.

This cylinder won't leave your shop with your name on it... OK , You don't like the way it looks and you don't like the way an OEM cylinder is either... but you never timed it, installed it, ran it, tested it.... You drew some lines on it and gave your opinion of what it should be.... it's not done yet Brad. I never asked for you to bless off on this kit, I never asked for you to put your name on it, I never asked for you to sell the kits or anything of that nature... just a test and an evaluation.

Seriously? Is that all that matters? I disagree. This kit is really no different than the one I had before. I installed it and was going to donate it to replace the topend on a saw we raffled here. I wouldn't let it go out with that topend on it. It simply didn't run like a saw I wanted going out of my shop, representing my work. Sure, this topend will run, but there's a lot more to it than that. I see no point in installing this kit.

It's what this thread is about... isn't it?? Seriously, it does matter. It matters to all the guys who don't port there own saws, to the guys who can't afford one of your port jobs, the guys who need to save a couple bucks to get the job done
without spending every last cent they scraped together to buy a OEM cylinder.

I see no point in installing this kit.

Did the kit perform close to the OEM part.... we may never know now will we... That Sir, would be for the greater good of this community! :msp_wink:

Thank you for your time.

Randy Watson

The poll question is loaded. On the AM side. If it takes 30 min longer to port, I don't care. I still spend $250.

If I was the porter, I may care.

Course the pie I eat doesn't look like it was made by Paula Dean either, but its still damn tasty.

Latest posts

Back