Meteor Cylinder Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use one of these cylinders on a saw you're paying $250 to have ported?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm seeing more and more mention of the Meteor cylinder kits. I received a couple samples early on, and to be honest with you, I cringed everytime I see them mentioned. One was for a MS440 and the other for a MS460. Both were inferior, but one in particular was absolutely horrible. The port shapes are very irregular, as well as the beveling. I ported the better of these two, and it still didn't make power. I used the same numbers that make an OEM cylinder run very well. Unless drastic changes have been made, then I say buyer beware.

IMG_6632-L.jpg

IMG_6628-L.jpg

IMG_6626-L.jpg

IMG_6625-L.jpg

IMG_6623-L.jpg

OEM is on the right.
IMG_6610-L.jpg

Just for the record, I have no agenda or hidden motive. I call a product as I see it. I don't care the color or the brand. If the aftermarket makes a great product, then I'm all for it. Meteor pistons come to mind. They are fantastic. I reported my findings on these cylinders and am not aware of any improvements. If there have been, then I would be the first to say so. If you have evidence of these particular cylinder being greatly improved, then post up pics to verify it.

So what is your question Brad? Are you asking for members to say that they have bad cylinders or asking them to make a comparison between there OEM one and there new Meteor cylinder?

Or to not buy Meteor cylinders? Did you read the thread Randy did comparing the Meteor cylinder to OEM on the 372 build he had a few weeks ago?

Wow those ports are in bad shape. I have seen better workmanship on $35 chinese P&C kits.

Are the cylinders actually stamped as 'Made in Italy' or are they using no name chinese cylinders?

I won't buy a Meteor cylinder...but their pistons are pretty decent. But I won't use their piston clips..OEM..!!

I will only use OEM on Stihl saws - never a problem - rather a used OEM Mahle cylinder than a new Meteor..!!

I'm like you - why can't they make as good a cylinder as they do their pistons..?? - I just don't get it..??
:cheers:
J2F

Yes, yes, yes, and no. I have not personally seen a 372 kit, so have no comment on them. That's why I asked specifically for info on the 440 and 460 kits.

Many of the guys here have not had the opportunity to see what others of us have. I feel something of a responsibility to share what I've seen, with those who have not. I've been very frank with one of the suppliers of these kits. Nothing would make me happier than to see these kits be what they could be. There is huge potential here! I would go out of my way to help make that happen. I've done what I could, but am still so frustrated by what we see here. What can be done? I don't know. But, I'd hate to see someone spend good money and receive something that looks and performs like these.

The ports on the ones I've held in my hands (several now) have been on par, in fact nearly identical to every other aftermarket cylinder I've seen. They all need a bit of clean up, and thats a fact. That said, the plating has been on par with OEM, with exception to the lack of plating around the top, but alot of OEM are the same way. After some clean up in one of the 460 kits I had, just clean up, not porting, it was an great runner. Was it OEM strong? I dunno, as i didnt have a stock one to compare, but felt good and ran great. I gave that kit away, and the new owner ported it and made a great runner. He sold it and its still running today in fact, and in the log woods no less, earning money daily.

I personally would not do a bolt and go with em. They need a bit of love for sure. But for a cheap alternative to the high price of OEM, they definetly have potential. And from what I've been told, the quality has seen improvement since the ones I've had. Plating all the way up, and nicer looking ports. I've not seen one yet though, but I know of a 372 being built with one as we speak. I'm anxious to see the outcome.

I'll use their pistons but have been to leary to try their cylinders.

I read somewhere the cylinders are not in house. Heard they are China, Taiwan cast, or somewhere else and supposedly shipped to be plated. Just what I read somewhere if my memory is right.

I read somewhere the cylinders are not in house. Heard they are China, Taiwan cast, or somewhere else and supposedly shipped to be plated. Just what I read somewhere if my memory is right.

That's what I was told when I inquired. Cast in tiawan, plated in Italy.

That sounds about right.

I've also recently had a few issues with pre-assembled MS390 engine blocks. The crank seals were not installed correctly, and the cylinder base and clamshell were not properly sealed. Apparently the cylinder base was covered with assembly lube and wasn't cleaned before the gasket sealant was applied. This obviously caused the block to have massive air leaks.

That sounds about right.

I've also recently had a few assembly issues with pre-assembled MS390 engine blocks. The crank seals were not installed correctly, and the cylinder base and clamshell were not properly sealed. Apparently the cylinder base was covered with assembly lube and wasn't cleaned before the gasket sealant was applied. This obviously caused the block to have massive air leaks.

Are those meteor? I was thinking they were NWP.

So is there any aftermarket cylinder you guys would recommend for a 440/460 build? NWP? Just curious, I have one to do this weekend, I was about to order a Meteor kit! Thanks for your post.

Several years ago a friend of mine put a "BB" kit on a pretty nice 440. It ran so poorly he thought he messed something up on the install.

Last edited:
The pics shown by the op were early units, are the lastest improved or not??

Latest posts

Back