Michigan firewood dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually if you got that load in the last five months or so it came from a job that Frank cut about 15 - 18 years ago. He does a good job of management and selective cutting although in the last few years more and more people are looking at the short term and cut their woods pretty hard.

Nothing going to Maple Block and not much to Manthei. Most goes down or out of state. It is amazing that Maple Block keeps plugging along, I heard rumors a while back about a shutdown but nothing came of it.

The last week or so the bugs are BAD. Had to dig out my mesh bug hat to do any work outside the machine.

Since he got his new truck he doesn't get stuck too often, but usually gets it stuck good when he does. We start by trying to get it out with the skidder pulling on the front and the fowarder pushing on the rear. If that doesn't work it's unload the truck time.

Yeah I'm glad Maple Block is hanging on with all the plant closures we've had around here.

These were from a recent cut somewhere cause it's still green as heck which is just fine. Got a four way wedge coming for my splitter which should speed up splitting.

I"m just trying to get ahead on firewood plus may sell a few cords. As long as I cut it green it will keep for a few years.

Do you know if Frank has an actual sawmill? I might have some big cedar/poplar I need to get milled and am shying away from chain saw type mills. I read they take WAY too much work compared to just shipping the logs off to the sawmill.

Tazman, I was talking already processed. Triaxle loads like that are about 120-150 per load (about 8 cord). Thats what one of the big guys told me anyway. Nice looking poles by the way.

I'm by toledo and we will deliver up to twenty five miles, a 3/4 ton diesel loaded not stacked cab high for 150 and never had any complaints. This isn't quite a cord but it's a good load for the money, considering I have seen a cord go for as much as 275 around here.

Do you know if Frank has an actual sawmill? I might have some big cedar/poplar I need to get milled and am shying away from chain saw type mills. I read they take WAY too much work compared to just shipping the logs off to the sawmill.

Sure he does, been a family operation for 50 plus years. They saw all the wood they harvest except for the veneer. I know he keeps pretty busy sawing his own stuff and so doesn't get too excited about custom sawing. The trucking can get expensive too, with the fuel cost these days.

How many feet do you have to cut? Have you considered a portable band saw mill that would do it on site?

ok guys are those loads available delivered to the Coopersville area? I really like the looks of that and with my time short and the fuel I would not be afraid to pay for something like that.......
Brian

I am sure the wood would be available, but the trucking would be a killer if he would even go that far. Maybe if you could arrange your own transportation. We are way up near the bridge and with diesel at almost $5 I don't see how it would pay to ship firewood that far.

Sure he does, been a family operation for 50 plus years. They saw all the wood they harvest except for the veneer. I know he keeps pretty busy sawing his own stuff and so doesn't get too excited about custom sawing. The trucking can get expensive too, with the fuel cost these days.

How many feet do you have to cut? Have you considered a portable band saw mill that would do it on site?

Yes I have, just too expensive. Still looking at the Alaskan series just for use around here...........of course that means I'd have to buy a new 3120 Husky for that job. HEHEHEHE. And a 395XP for backup. Wife would kill me.............[grin] Well, maybe not..................

Actually she works for Taylor Rental in Petoskey, she's their accountant, and I"ve got her looking into whether they might purchase something like this in the future. It'd be nice to just be able to rent one for the day.

Around where I live, Mid west MI, its is about $160-170 a cord. I was taking it it Grand Rapids, where I was working anyway so the delivery was not really a big deal to me, for $190 at the start of the winter and by the end it was $200. I am guessing $200 down there again, but I will be delivering on weekends. Natural gas was $0.701 a CCF last year, it is now $1.01 and expected to rise, so the wood is an even better heat source for those that use it. For those that burn for fun, they are buying the lil bundles for $3-$4 at the gas station, thats where some BIG money can be made.

Around where I live, Mid west MI, its is about $160-170 a cord. I was taking it it Grand Rapids, where I was working anyway so the delivery was not really a big deal to me, for $190 at the start of the winter and by the end it was $200. I am guessing $200 down there again, but I will be delivering on weekends. Natural gas was $0.701 a CCF last year, it is now $1.01 and expected to rise, so the wood is an even better heat source for those that use it. For those that burn for fun, they are buying the lil bundles for $3-$4 at the gas station, thats where some BIG money can be made.

Ya' know I"ve got a brother in law that makes a dang fortune with those little bundles of wood. I can't believe that people buy them but what do I know...

We're selling tree length by the pound now. It's working out too about $120 a cord and around here processed is $200 if you can find it and more like $225. I saw a guy selling for $100 a pickup load! :jawdrop: That's about $300 a cord! Deisel is killing us. Last year were at $110 and the year before $90 for tree length triax loads. Heating oil contracts came in at $4.15 last week! Gonna be a tough winter for allot of folks around here. Lotta wood going down the road. :cheers:

We're selling tree length by the pound now. It's working out too about $120 a cord and around here processed is $200 if you can find it and more like $225. I saw a guy selling for $100 a pickup load! :jawdrop: That's about $300 a cord! Deisel is killing us. Last year were at $110 and the year before $90 for tree length triax loads. Heating oil contracts came in at $4.15 last week! Gonna be a tough winter for allot of folks around here. Lotta wood going down the road. :cheers:

You ain't just a whistlin Dixie there. Propane/LP/Oil is doing nothing but going UP...................

Pricing

I am charging 55 dollars for picked up face cord wood with a minimum delivery of 10 dollars in the thumb area this is the going rate.:greenchainsaw:

I'm waiting on 20 cords log length...they are delivering for 65 a cord. Going to cut them up and hang out a shingle for 65 cut and split per face cord.
Don't have the time or energy to try delivering.

Bowtechmadman, have you got a contact for log length delivered? I am pondering 9 cord to coopersville for 900. i would jump at 20 for even near that price.
Thanks

I'll get the contact information...he's offered us the price since we are buying 40 cord...20 for me and 20 for my buddy. The cutting is being done in Big Rapids and that is where we live so w/ fuel prices not sure what it would be to deliver to Coopersville.
Contact info is at work so I'll try to drop you a PM tomorrow sometime.

Thanks Bowtechmadman. So your into archery I take it. I enjoy it myself.

Latest posts

Back