Michigan guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recent nightmare trip to Oceana county

WE went to our cabin on Dec 13 in Oceana County expecting 1.5' of snow but were met with 24-30 inches. Our cabin is about 100 yards off the road and a very kind neighbor plowed a path in and got stuck. I had to drag him out. We did not want to leave after working so hard so we dug our way for 6 hours and another 50 yards by hand and using a tractor to make a path for the truck and trailer to get wood from shed and to get our Christmas tree from woods. The garden tractor with snow thrower stopped after moving about 4 feet forward.
Here are some pics, hopefully they load:
Tractor in snow: tractor did not get to ground level and wheels slipped pulling the loaded 4x8 trailer of firewood, we needed chains.
attachment.php

Wood piles: Some of the piles of wood we have aging for next season
attachment.php

S in snow: I am 6'6" and not standing on bare ground and snow is at my knees.
attachment.php

Christmas tree drag: we were so tired from walking in fields to get the trees we dragged trees to the trailer parked near the road.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85123&stc=1&d=1230537251

Even with chains,posi and 4wd the truck had a problem getting us out while pulling the trailer and we spun nearly all the way especially climbing a grade out of the driveway.
The weekend was not much fun.

At around 0300 I thought a Tornado was coming through. The wind was howling/screeching/moaning as it went through the trees like it does in a hurricane. Creepy as hell.

I thought the same thing! It was 3:15 and I was sitting on the couch listening to the wind and it started to make this constant sound that resembled the sound a train makes. I ended up moving my wife and son into the basement until I could get a weather report to see what was going on because it seems like any time someone is on tv after having been through a tornado they always say "...it sounded like a freight train".

twofer,
I thought about hitting the basement. Out house is surrounded by 50"+ oaks and cherry and looking outside it resembled giant beach grass whipping in the wind. I checked the local Radar on the net and it was clear so I snoozed.
Last time I heard wind like that I was in the Philipines in the middle of a Typhoon.

I guess the folks over on the east side are still without power in spots.

Lotsa Fields here are still flooded because the county drains are backed up so bad.

Water table is back up to about 6" here. I found it with the tractor the hard way about an hour a go while skidding a dinky 16" cherry log on a chain.

The log bit, tires turned, I hit the diff lock and goosed her a bit, and sunk a foot into the sandy muck. Stuck untill tomorrow morning. Hopefully the ground will freeze a bit.

It's been a long time since the water table was this high here.
If this keeps up, spring is going to be "Interesting".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I finally got power back today around 12:30 this afternoon. Went out around 6:30 Sunday morning. Fridge went out so I had to spend the money I wanted to use to get a MS 361:cry: .

Kyle

I thought the same thing! It was 3:15 and I was sitting on the couch listening to the wind and it started to make this constant sound that resembled the sound a train makes. I ended up moving my wife and son into the basement until I could get a weather report to see what was going on because it seems like any time someone is on tv after having been through a tornado they always say "...it sounded like a freight train".
Same thing on the east side my kids came into the bedroom all freaked out, i went back to bed i was dead a$$ tired and figured it it is my time it is my time, but, it sure sounded like something was on the way

Couple of pictures from Christmas Day. Had to shovel off the lean-to off the back of my barn...was afraid she'd collapse. She spans 16' w/ only 2"x6" trusses.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Couple of pictures from Christmas Day. Had to shovel off the lean-to off the back of my barn...was afraid she'd collapse. She spans 16' w/ only 2"x6" trusses.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Can definately tell you live closer to Lake Michigan than I do. That looked like a lot of work, ours all melted in the big rain and thaw last weekend. Now it appears back to normal here, for now!!!!

i'm officially gone.

had a blast as usual.never enough time as usual either.

i did get some VENTED non ALGORE approved fuel cans.

goodbye spotted owl!

after a stop in Grove City Ohio,

it's back to communist southern New England.(Connecticut)

attachment.php

attachment.php

You know, your stove looks a lot like mine, especially the wood under a snow drift. I'm tired of the wet wood. Been building a wood shed. I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Did all that snow in your images fall after weekend of Dec 13, 1.5 weeks before Christmas?

If so, Our property which is West of you should be snowed in for sure, even worse than the images shown previously.:jawdrop:

I am sure it will be Spring before we get to our neck of the woods.

If that much snow is up there I am not sure our garage or woodshed is still standing with 16-20" rafters and worse for the woodshed.

That is complete snowfall for the year. First time I had shoveled it this winter. I knew we had a considerable snowfall this winter but this actually suprised me just how much had fallen. 5 miles east of me and there are area's w/ bare ground.

I just came thru Michigan yesterday and was amazed to see 5 or 6 inches of snow on the ground and 5 miles down the road there was bare ground.

Despite rain and melt late last week I still can't get into the woods either w/ my tractor (chains on it) or my ATV. Probably 18" still not hard crusty stuff...I can go a ways with my ATV right until I break through the crust and it sits on the frame.

Latest posts

Back