might make woodshed tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i got 2 big trees 12 ft apart in the very back of my yard. i was thinking i can make a roof tp fit between them for starters. it will also add a bit of privacy as there is a daycare directly behind me. 12 ft is smaller than i wanted but its my first shot at building a roof so im sure ill screw it up somehow. is rather learn and see what works on a small one first.

im going to be using 100% pallet wood. i got alot of 4x4s and a ton of 1x6 maybe i dunno but you get the idea. id like to maybe nail the sides to the trees and add 4 legs. im just unsure the best way to attach the legs to the roof. any ideas? im not a carpenter obviously but im not afraid to try things and learn.

almost all my 4x4s are 10ft long so ill have figure out something there too.

Last edited:
I think you may want to reconsider your plan. Any structure hard nailed to two separate trees will stand an excellent chance of being ripped apart as the two trees move independantly. Plus, you will probably kill the two trees. All the nails plus all the probable chafing of the trunks will cause damage that insects & fungus moving over from your wood will find as an open invitation.
Al

good point, i was thinking back to when i was a kid. my dad build us a tree house he nailed one side of it to 2 trees and made 4 legs for the floor. that thing just fell down maybe 5 years ago cuse it simply rotted away. the trees are still fine actually the board is still nailed to em after all this time.

heres a pic of the 2 trees i wanna stack the wood in between the one on the left is bt far the biggest tree i have. im not sure what kind either are though.

note the ugly birdhouse lol thats how the kids wanted me to paint it so i did.

You might want to consider cutting down some smaller trees and use them as post. I managed to make a 10x8' shed for $70. (not including the floor)

imgp9000uu1.jpg

I think you may want to reconsider your plan. Any structure hard nailed to two separate trees will stand an excellent chance of being ripped apart as the two trees move independantly. Plus, you will probably kill the two trees. All the nails plus all the probable chafing of the trunks will cause damage that insects & fungus moving over from your wood will find as an open invitation.
Al

+1, BTDT.

You can use a scarf joint for the 4x4's, do it well, and use exterior rated glue. Works great.

I wouldn't nail them to the trees but that's just me. Some treated 4x4's shouldn't be all that expensive and you could nail the pallet wood to them.

You've already got a ton of 4x4x10's? Pressure treated ? If so, use them for your posts buried 2 ft. and you have some strong roof supports right there.

na their regular pine, i kinda gave up on it today i looked at it and said the hell with it. i got my sisters boyfriend coming over tomorrow with my dad.im gonna cut the fireplace up a bit with the plasma cutter to add clearance for my flex pipe and clean the chimney while the stoves out. after that me and my sisters boyfriend will tackle the roof hes a carpenter so ill just follow his lead :)

Back