Mighty Mac Log Splitter - Where's the hydraulic fluid ? !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCOLC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Mighty Mac Log Splitter - No Tank Visible - Where's the hydraulic fluid ? !!

I have the opportunity to purchase a Might Mac splitter that is a considerable distance from where I live so I will not have the opportunity to examine it in person before I make the agreement to purchase it. It's not running and may take an engine to replace the present one which is a Greyhound from Harbor Freight...not sure...I have a question the person selling the machine is not able to answer fully... the photos show no hydraulic fluid tank that I can see and no filter. Where is the fluid stored? If you look at the attached photos you'll notice a hex nut at the back of the machine which I'm assuming is the fill but where does the fluid go...inside the main beam?? Does anyone out there have one of these? Anything you can share on this splitter would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Last edited:
I agree with Zogger. Fill port behind ram as you mentioned, likely needs a breather instead of the plug, but the plug could be drilled if it is turned out a bit. Common on some of the old units and current crop of 4-7 ton electrics.

Zogger - Blades - Many thanks! Asked the seller about the hex plug and he told me there is a small hole in the center which I can just make out in one of the photos. I'd like to drain this puppy when I get it which I think is probably a good idea knowing the splitter is 30+ years old. Hopefully the beam has also has a drain plug....otherwise it could be a bear....small siphon hose thru the fill port ??

Back