Milled my first cylinder tonight!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Finally got there, after a long while of making metal chips, to turn this mandrel to hold the cylinder. Only made a 56mm mandrel so far, I tried it out on this dead 394 cylinder I had lying around, worked great, I just did a quick cut to test, I could get a much better finish using the power cross feed. But I'm pretty happy with this, and excited too!!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good job:clap: also, thats a nice looking little lathe you got there.

Nice. What is that for a lathe?

Rick

Yes, I guess I shouldn't have said milled. Yes I machined the mandrel to fit the cylinder, slide the cylinder on the mandrel, add a little pressure on the cylinder from the tail-stock, and machine the base down the desired amount to achieve the squish you want and still run a gasket, I've never truly liked putting a saw together without a gasket.

I'm still working on the piston holder for turning pistons.

Good job:clap: also, thats a nice looking little lathe you got there.

Nice work.:clap:

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks guys. Yep, worked real nice. Can't wait to do it for real, on a saw that will run!! LOL, I've got a 395 in a box, hmmm, or one of my 394's? choices! Going to have to start making more mandrel's though, for the 70cc range of saws, man, I'm going to have a mountain of shaving's.

I mean what is that for a lathe, as in what kind, brand. Sorry for the miscom.

Not nearly as cool as turning a cylinder base but I picked up a Stihl 051 AV tonight, that was my only CAD fix for today.

'atta boy!!:clap::cheers:

Thanks Nik, I was thinking of you when I was doing it, I was going to make a video, but it was dang 11pm here, and just wanted to get finished, next time around.

I mean what is that for a lathe, as in what kind, brand. Sorry for the miscom.

Oh, sorry, the lathe is an old Hercus 9" model A, its and Australian built lathe, really close to a South Bend 9, model A.

Not nearly as cool as turning a cylinder base but I picked up a Stihl 051 AV tonight, that was my only CAD fix for today.

Cool man, I got 2 of those saws. One day I'll get to them, 1 is complete, and the other well, lets just say its a box of parts with some missing.

Hey Nik, what do you do with all the shavings? I got lots now, was thinking of using the Aluminum curlies for tinsel on the Christmas tree next year!! LOL

Good stuff Will. I was checking lathe's out on Ebay. Hmmmmmmmm.

I noticed others run a bolt through the side to stop the cyl from spinning and the mandrel.

Thanks Al. Yes I have seen that too, but its just not needed, just adding something you don't need. The ones that I've seen that on have actually been square stock turned down, and the contact area is much less since its not totally round, with it fully round there is much more friction for it to not turn, and I had very little pressure from the tail stock and it didn't spin. And with the bolt I'd be worried about it cocking the cylinder and running out of true. Maybe its nothing to worry about, but the way I did it works great.

Looking good. When are you gonna start the waiting list of sending cylinders to ya???? You may be a busy man

Thanks!!

LOL, no waiting list yet anyway. And since I'm not a sponsor, have to tread lightly. I'd be interested in doing it for people maybe after I get a few under my belt, and have more mandrel's made up to fit more size's.

Thanks Al. Yes I have seen that too, but its just not needed, just adding something you don't need. The ones that I've seen that on have actually been square stock turned down, and the contact area is much less since its not totally round, with it fully round there is much more friction for it to not turn, and I had very little pressure from the tail stock and it didn't spin. And with the bolt I'd be worried about it cocking the cylinder and running out of true. Maybe its nothing to worry about, but the way I did it works great

Yeah your right actually, it was square stock. Well you'd know if it was slipping.

Yeah your right actually, it was square stock. Well you'd know if it was slipping.

Yes, I'd figure it would be more accurate to have round stock. I don't think that these cylinders hold too much accuracy from the factory, I dought they do better then .003", this time I set the mandrel to .0015", plenty good enough, IMHO anyway. Hell most 3 jaws, your lucky if you can do better then .003" I think Nik does better then that, but he, that's what he does!!

Latest posts

Back