Milled my first cylinder tonight!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to keep an eye open for odds & ends scrap that I can use on the lathe. This cylinder jig I built here was a piece of tarp winder spool for a dump truck, it already had threads in it to bolt though the exhaust port. Turned it to 43.8mm for a snug fit in a 44mm jug'
attachment.php

attachment.php

Finally got there, after a long while of making metal chips, to turn this mandrel to hold the cylinder. Only made a 56mm mandrel so far, I tried it out on this dead 394 cylinder I had lying around, worked great, I just did a quick cut to test, I could get a much better finish using the power cross feed. But I'm pretty happy with this, and excited too!!!!
]

Parris, Good job on the cylinder! A lathe is on my list of things to buy. The problem is when I start to save up for one, I use the money on another saw. :dizzy:

I try to keep an eye open for odds & ends scrap that I can use on the lathe. This cylinder jig I built here was a piece of tarp winder spool for a dump truck, it already had threads in it to bolt though the exhaust port. Turned it to 43.8mm for a snug fit in a 44mm jug'
attachment.php

attachment.php

That's a cool looking rig, yes I'm definitely keeping my eyes out for scrap after I got rung up at the local matal market for this Alu stock.

you're right, the fctory doesn't hold anywhere as near a tight tolerance as I try. I shoot for better than .001, but have seen factory cylinders on pro saws out as much as .007". as long as it's out accross the pin and not along the pin, it's all good. as far as the chips, they get recycled:clap:

you're right, the fctory doesn't hold anywhere as near a tight tolerance as I try. I shoot for better than .001, but have seen factory cylinders on pro saws out as much as .007". as long as it's out accross the pin and not along the pin, it's all good. as far as the chips, they get recycled:clap:

Thanks. I figure if I can do better than OEM, I'm doing ok. When I get my 4 jaw I should be able to do better.

Cylinder Boring

How much do you bore the cylinder? I wouldn't think it would be much before you take out all the chrome?

How much do you bore the cylinder? I wouldn't think it would be much before you take out all the chrome?

I'm not boring the cylinder. I'm machining the base down to decrease the squish. Here is a short vid I did today.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GIDEHqV-qS8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GIDEHqV-qS8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OK!! I'm with you now!! I am impressed!! By reduceing squish this way, you can control the amount you want. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back