Milled Some Wide Catalpa- Beautiful Wood, WOW!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A freind called me up yesterday and told me he was gonna bring me over a Catalpa stump that had been cut out of his front yard. It was bigger than I expected it would be , and solid to boot! Here's what it looks like so far..........

I know where one of these are, have you worked with this wood before. I have been over looking it thinking that the wood is really soft?

Last edited:
Great looking wood. The real question is what are your plans for it? I've always been under the impression that catalpa has limited practical uses beyond carving. Good luck!

Very beautiful wood! Soft wood though, idk what you are going to do with planks. Gosh though, them colors, there has to be a use for it!

A freind called me up yesterday and told me he was gonna bring me over a Catalpa stump that had been cut out of his front yard. It was bigger than I expected it would be , and solid to boot! Here's what it looks like so far..........

I would love to get hold of some of that for knife handles.Got any spare small pieces?

That color really changes wow reminds me of redwood. The fresh pic's look alot like walnut.

Last edited:
Catalpa was grown in plots on many farms. It was said to be great post wood.

Do not think farmers ever let 'em get that BIG.

My neighbor used to be an engineer for the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab. He would make mock ups of things like the space shuttle to the bridge of a nuke sub. He said when they needed to make frame work they used Catalpa because it looked kinda like Oak but was very light. He said it had pretty good structural strength, Joe.

My neighbor used to be an engineer for the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab. He would make mock ups of things like the space shuttle to the bridge of a nuke sub. He said when they needed to make frame work they used Catalpa because it looked kinda like Oak but was very light. He said it had pretty good structural strength, Joe.

That is pretty cool , thanks for sharing. I would have never guessed that!

Big wood can always be used ,especially when its looking like that . I have tried to turn some but had to stop as its makes me sneeze .

just saw your monkey wards saw in yer signature. that's what my dad used to call it. never heard anyone else use that terminology. you must be really old, eh? :laugh:

Back