Millin' again vol.2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I couldn't stand it any longer so I pulled the mill out yesterday evening, tuned things up and got after it. The saw ran and cut great, the oiler worked perfectly but the mill had some problems (probably my fault). I got the top slab off and plan to finish later today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice work, big log.

Does your mill clamp on or mount directly to the powerhead?
Does that long-a$$ bar sag/bow and have an effect on the biard geometry?
What size powerhead?
What type of chain, and how long does it take to file it?
How hard is that to push through the wood? Will you be ready for a lineman's position on the cowboy's? :)

That's one big mill, Texas style :blob2: .
Big mill = big slabs. Got any pictures of the finished products from big slabs.

That log in the pictures sure has a lot of nice figure, good work. Keep them pict's coming.

Does your mill clamp on or mount directly to the powerhead?
Does that long-a$$ bar sag/bow and have an effect on the biard geometry?
What size powerhead?
What type of chain, and how long does it take to file it?
How hard is that to push through the wood? Will you be ready for a lineman's position on the cowboy's? :)

1- It started as a factory GB mill. It bolts to the powerhead and clamps the bar tip. (pics here- http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37090&highlight=GB and here http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=34949&highlight=GB)
2- Yes- more on this in a few minutes
3- 084
4-Bailey's ripping chain- .404 .063, about 20 minutes on a Max grinder.
5- Not terribly difficult, just don't expect to fly through a 42"+ wide slab
6-:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:
I don't think the Cowboy's will be calling me... ever. I'm only 5'7"- 170 but extremely stubborn... and a bit OCD.

I couldn't stand sitting at my desk on one of the nicest days we've had in a month so I did some more whittling.

This is water oak (failed to specify earlier) and has been down since mid summer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here's a couple more of the setup

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the device I banged together to support the bar until the kerf gets established. Actually worked pretty good. Once the bar is buried to the j-hook, I loosen the top nut and remove it.

Sag
attachment.php

No sag
attachment.php

attachment.php

That's beautiful Aggie, now I've really got the bug to get out and mill my 50"+ burr oak. Maybe this weekend.

That's one big mill, Texas style :blob2: .
Big mill = big slabs. Got any pictures of the finished products from big slabs.

That log in the pictures sure has a lot of nice figure, good work. Keep them pict's coming.

Thanks-
No projects using the big ones yet but I'm designing a desk that will incorporate one of the 50" pecan slabs I milled a year ago. They're pretty close to EMC now but I might have them finished off in a kiln if necessary. I hope to start on that one in a month or so.

AGGIE _ :cheers: :clap: :hmm3grin2orange: what can i say , thats AWESOME ! you have inspired me to make something similar to your mill !:hmm3grin2orange: and such beautifull wood !!

WOW. This kinda stuff is what makes me park my tail at this computer every night. That grain is unbelievable Aggie. AWESOME job!

is water oak a regional name, or just something we don't have in virginia?? I'm familiar with live oak, but not water oak. We have willow oak here, which only grows in wet soil--its a good indicator of where you can't put a drain field...

Latest posts

Back