Milling Elm Action Shots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonykill

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A FEW PICS OF ME MILLING AN ELM. THIS WILL MAKE GREAT RUSTIC TABLES
:rockn:
NOT SURE HOW TO DO PICS, HOPE THIS IS LEGAL, ITS MY BUSINESS WEBSITE. WWW.STONYKILLCREATIONS.COM. CLICK ON MILLING PAGE.

tn_DSCF0279.JPG

http://www.stonykillcreations.citymax.com/i//tn_DSCF0283.JPG
http://www.stonykillcreations.citymax.com/i//tn_DSCF0282.JPG

Last edited:
Would love to see your pics, but clicking on that link takes me to the website not found blurb, maybe its me on my end. Anybody else able to open it up?

Pics

It is a little slow to load, but I got there. The first couple of tries it said address not found.

This time it loaded fine, fast even... NICE furniture stony, you do nice work, one day I plan on getting into more larger pieces like you do. At this point, I still have this pesky nagging job... can't retire for at least 7 years.

Good idea putting milling pics on your website. I found at my shows, that some people like to see where the wood actually comes from. For some of my stuff I sell, I can literally tell them where the tree stood, why it was cut and when etc. When I get my site going, I will do that same, have a MILLING WOOD section with pics. Right now there is just a holding page.

www.tswoodshop.com

woodshop said:
This time it loaded fine, fast even... NICE furniture stony, you do nice work, one day I plan on getting into more larger pieces like you do. At this point, I still have this pesky nagging job... can't retire for at least 7 years.

Good idea putting milling pics on your website. I found at my shows, that some people like to see where the wood actually comes from. For some of my stuff I sell, I can literally tell them where the tree stood, why it was cut and when etc. When I get my site going, I will do that same, have a MILLING WOOD section with pics. Right now there is just a holding page.

www.tswoodshop.com
thanks, this is my job, building furniture. Went out on my own a few years ago. The milling is something I always wanted to do. I own 30 acres and I have burned too many trees that I thought would be great furniture. This milling thing is addicting. I got my stepfather into it too. He has picked out several trees "we" need to remove and mill. I jokingly say we, he will run the mill as much as I will, and hes 65. I'll post more pics tomorrow, gonna spend some time with the wife:rockn:

tn_DSCF0277.JPG

A GOOD SHOT OF THE LOG AFTER SQUARING 2 SIDES SO IT WOULD FIT MY MILL
http://www.stonykillcreations.citymax.com/t//tn_DSCF0281.JPG
FINISHING UP THAT CUT
http://www.stonykillcreations.citymax.com/t//tn_DSCF0282.JPG
THE RIG, STIHL 056 32 INCH BAR, BAILEYS CHAIN, 36 INCH ALASKAN

I AM USED TO MILLING PINE AND POPLAR AND THIS ELM WAS MUCH TOUGHER. I DIDN'T TIME IT, BUT IT SEEMED IN THE MEAT OF THE LOG THE PROGRESS WAS ABOUT 3/4 TO 1 INCH A SECOND, RIPPING 25 INCHES AT A TIME. I'M DOWN TO ABOUT 8 INCHES OF THE LOG, I'M GONNA FLIP IT ON ITS SIDE AND MAKE SOME 2 X STOCK FOR APRONS NEXT.:rockn:

stonykill said:
I AM USED TO MILLING PINE AND POPLAR AND THIS ELM WAS MUCH TOUGHER. I DIDN'T TIME IT, BUT IT SEEMED IN THE MEAT OF THE LOG THE PROGRESS WAS ABOUT 3/4 TO 1 INCH A SECOND, RIPPING 25 INCHES AT A TIME.
1 inch per second in 25" wide hardwood is pretty darn good cuttin'. I get less than half that speed in 28" wide oak with my 395XP. I get a little better than one inch per second in 14" oak with my Ripsaw bandmill when I have a sharp relatively new blade. But in really wide hardwood, over 24 inches, with my csm it's much slower going. I'm using Bailey's ripping chain though, which is basically standard round ground chisel chain but at only 10 degrees. Some on here use the Granberg style ripping chain, little bit fancier. What kind of chain are you using when you get that one inch per second in that wide of a cut?

i' m using baileys chain, had it touched up on a diamond wheel, maybe that makes a diference. It sure feels sharper. The log is facing slightly downhill, and I am working the old 056 pretty hard. Pushing pretty hard. I'm used to softwood where it cuts through real fast. It seemed slow to me, but sounds like I should be happy;) ,:rockn:

WENT OUT FOR MY MORNING COFFEE NEXT TO MY ELM TREE. HERE ARE PICS OF SOME OF THE LUMBER. THE BOTTOM PIECE IS 3 3/4 THICK, FROM THE CENTER OF THE LOG. IT WILL BE FOR LEGS. THE REMAINING BOARDS ARE 1 1/2 THICK FOR TABLE TOPS. THE VERY TOP PIECE IS 2 INCHES THICK, CUT THAT TO GET UNDER A NAIL AND TO GET TO GOOD WIDE TOP BOARDS. NEXT AFTER THEY DRY A BIT THEY GO TO A FRIENDS KILN, THEN THRU HIS DIESEL POWED PLANER TO CLEAN UP 2 SIDES. MY PLANER ISNT BIG ENOUGH FOR THE ENTIRE SLAB. THE 1 1/2 INCH THICK PIECES WILL BE JOINED TOGETHER BOOKMATHED INTO SLAB EDGED TABLE TOPS, FINISHED ABOUT 1 1/4 THICK.
tn_DSCF0286.JPG

tn_DSCF0285.JPG

:rockn:

Back