Milling newb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juicemang

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been hanging around this site for climber info and just stumbled onto this forum one day and thought milling looks like it would be fun to get into. I work on a golf course in MI and in the winter months we do a lot of tree removals. All of the wood that is not chipped we give away. Usually anything over 18" sits on the edge of the road all winter and nobody will take it. That means it ends up in the dumpster. So after doing some reading on this forum I decided I shouldn't let all this good wood go to waste. Last week I cut down 2 silver and 1 red maple all were under 24" diameter but I got some good chunks ready to mill. I ordered a mini mill and 2 ripping chains for my 029 to mess around with until I decide what to do about the bigger stuff. We are going to be taking down around 4 or 5 poplars between 36"-60" they dont have limbs untill you get about 30' up. There is also a larger silver maple and white oak coming down and if I want it more wood then I could mill. So I have a few questions for you guys.

I'm thinking about going with a 48" Alaskan mill and a 880. Should i get any of granbergs mill accessories? What bar and chain combo would you run? If there is anyone near se MI that would want to bring their mill and show me the ropes I can hook you up with some good logs.

I will post some picks of the logs and hopefully some milling soon :laugh:

Go mang! 880 with a 48" Alaskan.
I never done a silver maple but I think they are useless as boards.
The rest sounds awesome. Do they even make a 48" Alaskan? If they do, you will benefits from an auxiliary oiler. A 2x10 serves fine for a slabbing rail. I don't think you need to buy theirs. Sounds like a great way to utilize wood that would otherwise by wasted. Good for you. Look forward to the pics and welcome to the site. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi, I have been hanging around this site for climber info and just stumbled onto this forum one day and thought milling looks like it would be fun ...

You can check in anytime you like but you can never leave :biggrinbounce2:

Welcome aboard.

I'm thinking about going with a 48" Alaskan mill and a 880. Should i get any of granbergs mill accessories? ...

I'd look at putting an aux oiler on it. You can search up a thread that aggiewoodbutcher started about making your own and save a few $$. I'll let someone with more experience that me comment on the big saw/bar combo's. I'm running a stihl 066/36" mill, not really in the same league your talking about. The 880 on a 48" mill would be a handfull, but think of the really big slabs you could put up. :rock:

What bar and chain combo would you run? If there is anyone near se MI that would want to bring their mill and show me the ropes I can hook you up with some good logs.

I will post some picks of the logs and hopefully some milling soon :laugh:

Lots of good info buried in these posts and everybody here is willing to help out, great site. Hopefully someone close by will take you up on your offer.

Best advice, run while you can. Once you start millin', it just never stops.

Looking forward to seeing them pictures. :cheers:

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you've got the hookup! My folks live in Livonia and I still get back there from time to time (including tomorrow afternoon, incidentally). Caseyforrest and I have done some cutting over at Redford Cemetery, which I am on the board of and tend to. He is big into the milling scene so maybe we can make a field trip back there one of these days to meet up with you.

Also, if you truly have a bunch of decent wood available for firewood or whatever that y'all otherwise throw away, I know a couple older guys who live in Livonia who would love to have it but have no way to get it. I might have to dig my trailer out and make a trip back to get some for 'em.

Stay in touch.

Juicemang,

Nice to see yet another Southeastern Michigan chainsawmiller (I am in Rochester, MI ).

You should also consider the Logosol TimberJig as well. I used it with a Husqvarna 385XP for over a year to cut logs the size you are describing and have been happy with it. I haven't used the Alaskan, but the TimberJig seems like the jigging for the 1st cuts is simpler. I upgraded to the Logosol Woodworkers Mill last summer.

You should also try out the Logosol or Woodsman Pro (from Baileys) ripping chain. It is narrower (1/4"), which means the saw will cut faster. This will make a difference with the smaller saw you have now.

Check my profile for some webpages on the milling with the TimberJig.

Ted

Last edited:
Do they even make a 48" Alaskan? If they do, you will benefits from an auxiliary oiler. A 2x10 serves fine for a slabbing rail. I don't think you need to buy theirs. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Heres a picture of one a friend of mine bought.
attachment.php

Used my modified 066 on this mill with ripping chain and had 12-14 minute cuts through these 36" by 8' long pin oak slabs. We used part of an old aluminum extension ladder as a guide rail for the first cut. Worked like a charm.:D Heres a picture of one of those slabs.

attachment.php

Back