Milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, Gang! I recently purchased an 040, which runs well and does the job. I originally thought that maybe it could double as a firewood and occasional light milling saw (pinyon pine, 12 inch DBH max), but judging by the speed at which it cuts juniper (I thought it would be a bit faster) I'm thinking that's its not appropriate for milling.

Just by reading the posts, it seems like the way to go is to get the biggest, torquiest (is that a word?) saw you can find and that you better get something that won't make you commit suicide if it detonates.

I am looking into a Husqvarna 2100 but it might end up being more than I want to spend. It seems this saw get raves for the purpose intended. I also have a line on an 056av super, but I can't find much information on it (surprise, surprise). The little that I seems to find on it indicates that this saw is a grade "A" beast and would appropriate for milling. Anyone know anything about it? Am I way off-base?

Thanks!!

"What have you learned, Dorothy?"

Just did a search on the site for the 056... lots of posts... I think I get the idea. Opinions still welcome, though!

"What have you learned, Dorothy"

056 Super is indeed a great saw, as is the Mag II. Both are frequently used for milling. These are "slow" saws compared to today's standards of RPM and chain speed, but they're torque monsters, which for big timber, and milling are what you want. I'm prepping my 056 Super for ebay right now, and I really hate to see it go. :cry: I've used it alot, and have put alot of work into it making it look litterally brand new, but I never use it anymore since I got my 460. It's a heavy saw, and while parts are available, they're not as often readily available from the dealer new. Most of my parts have come from ebay. If I milled I'd keep it, but I don't, and carrying that thing around, even in the back yard bucking firewood is a bear. It's been collecting dust in my living room for the past several months, and I'm wanting to get a new 440, so I gotta sell it. :cry:

Jeff

I'll share my 1.5cents. I've been milling with a HUSQ 385XP with no complaints. Running a 36" bar and Bailey's ripping chain. Gone thru white pine twice what your max said you would be doing. Now running thru yellow pine again no problems. Its very easy to see in Milling where bigger faster better is the way to go. Its no too heavy for me. I'm no hee-man at 6'3" 207 lbs. That's what my wheel barrow is for.
Of course I line it with an old towel so as not to scratch my baby!!! :cry:

Thanks for the input, I think I'll pursue the 056 option. They seem like real beasts. I DO have a question regarding my 040/041... at 63ccs I thought it'd burn through wood a bit faster than it does. It spins right up and howls away with no bogging whatsoever, and seems to run pretty cleanly at high RPM. However, I guess I thought the saw would do quite a bit more damage to juniper. I actually have to use a fair amount of pressure to get through it. The chain was on the saw when I received it, and I had it freshly sharpened. It has a freshly squared-up 18-inch Oregon bar.

Here's the question.. is it possible, even though the saw has a freshly sharpened chain, that it is simply NOT aggressive enough? The stihl dealer didn't mention anything about the chain after sharpening it, but I didn't think to ask either. I am certain that this saw can do better.

Perhaps the dealer didnt touch the rakers on it. try buying a raker gauge set to either .020 or .025", and flat file, then use them on the chain. it will probably make a MASSIVE difference.

Great advice

Thanks Oldsaw, great advice.... the tech at the Stihl dealer simply did a LOUSY job on my chain.... I bought a new chain, a filing jig, and I've been doing my own sharpening since. It's a whole new saw! Screams through hard, old juniper!

Latest posts

Back